my fiero has high idle, stalls on cold starts. Help me figure this out! - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
my fiero has high idle, stalls on cold starts. Help me figure this out!
Tuesday, August 07, 2007 9:32 AM
Hey, before anyone asks i have already asked this question on fiero forums without much luck so im just throwing it out there incase someone has any ideas. My problem is this: on a cold start it jumps to 2000rpm, drops to 1500, sometimes bogs to 500- and may stall, then eventually it hunts between 1000-1500rpm until it settles on 1500. As of now i have cleaned the IAC and throttlebody, replaced the MAT sensor (a.k.a air charge sensor) without much luck. the problem is heat related somehow as once i reach operating temperature i idle nicely at 1000rpm's. I also notice that while its idling at 1500rpms i can smell gas fairly strongly, this may be another problem all together but i thought i might aswell mention it anyways. ideas?

Re: my fiero has high idle, stalls on cold starts. Help me figure this out!
Tuesday, August 07, 2007 9:49 AM
O2 sensor
Tuesday, August 07, 2007 9:55 AM
Ok ill test that and see if it needs to be replaced, thanks. Any more thoughts just throw em out there. On a side note, another issue i have is that in first and sometimes second gear, it feels like something is "catching" when im at low rpms while feathering the clutch. It does away when i tromp on it. Its not that bad yet but i feel its something that should be addressed.
Tuesday, August 07, 2007 10:18 AM
Vacuum leak?

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 10:27 AM
2.8l?

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 10:36 AM
Check the feed tube coming from the intake manifold to the bottom of the EGR. The factory models are made from rigid stamped metal and have a tendancy to crack over the years, and when they do, they cause a sizable vacuum leak. Fierostore.com sells a flexible, braided stainless replacement.

1989 Z24 Convertible - Dust Covered
2006 tC - Dust Covered, but driven more
Tuesday, August 07, 2007 10:40 AM
Oh sorry, i should have mentioned that i tested to see if there was a leak by plugging the IAC port(?) and it stalled after bout 1-3 seconds. Since i did that, ive been wondering if it should have stalled faster or if that is about right? Not sure if that could mean there is a small leak somewhere? ill test the O2 sensor when i get a chance and go from there, and yes it is the 2.8L v6.
Tuesday, August 07, 2007 5:54 PM
Yes, it is. Remember: The IAC controls the idle speed by itself! BTW, have you had your ECM checked for "No-code" faultiness? Is it even the right one for your app? 'Cause that over-rich condition in open-loop sounds like it. Also, check your CTS for fault, because if it's a 3-wire model that may be your cause. ECM sees one reading, temp gauge sees another. Lord knows I'm having the same on my truck's 2.2L. Good luck, though.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Friday, August 10, 2007 1:46 PM
So the gas smell means its running rich? I dunno if its related or not but i noticed this morning that while its still cold on my drive to work that when i let off the gas while im driving i hear a crackling sound coming from the exhaust, is this related to it running rich or is this something else? It goes away once the engine warms up.
Saturday, August 11, 2007 8:56 AM
Did you check the EGR feed tube yet? It's sounding more and more like that could be causing your vacuum leak/running issues.

1989 Z24 Convertible - Dust Covered
2006 tC - Dust Covered, but driven more
Friday, August 17, 2007 5:35 PM
Ok... wtf. I took the connectors off of the ignition coil to test em. Went back in the house. Then i went out to try and start the car without any luck, then i realized i FORGOT to re-hook up the ignition coil, so i did that. I try again and she started up! It stayed at 1500 RPM's like before, oil temp looked about normal to what it was. Is it possible the connection was dirty or something? IM not sure whats up, i dont wanna call it fixed yet cuz it might be a fluke. It ran fine for awhile, no unusual sounds. Im hesitant about taking it for a spin just yet as im not sure what just happened lol Im gunna give her a few minutes and try again, to figure out if it was just a fluke or not.

Friday, August 17, 2007 5:36 PM
Hmm i think i posted this in the wrong thread i made, Ill tell you the problem again then lol.

Car: 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT, 2.8L v6, Getrag 5spd manual

Problem: I washed my car on tuesday, shortly after i wanted to take her for a spin to get some nice pictures. She started up normally, idling at 1500rpms (known problem, i suspect a vacuum leak with this problem, i wasn't able to test it). After about 20seconds i hear a weird whineing sound, like a belt or something. I pop the trunk and take a peak, it immediatly stalls. I cant remember if i heard the RPM's drop, but i think it just stopped flat out. I try to start again and without any luck. My dad and me know very little bout cars but he trys to get her to start by pumping the gas, i say that it will probably flood the engine but what do i know right? Well after no luck we pack it up for the night. The next day i try again and this time i dont use the gas, i just crank it and i smell gas. Im pretty sure its flooded. After asking on various online forums people have thrown some suggestions my way such as:

Checking plugs for spark (havn't been able too yet, dont have proper socket)
Check for fuel (i can hear the fuel pump buzzing after i crank it, and the flooding issue, i dont think fuel is the problem)
Check timing belt (suggestion from mechanic, havnt checked yet but i dont think this is the problem)
Check dist. for damage from water (do to location, its impossible it got wet while washing the car)
Check ignition coil (same as dist. but i do it anyways, no known problems yet, but heres where it gets weird

After checking the ignition coil i go back inside the house to report my findings to my other thread, i go back out just now to try and start her again for the hell of it. She cranks and cranks but not starting. I then remember... oh ya! I forgot to hook up the ignition coil again, so i go do that and crank again. This time she fires up! So here i am now, im confused as to what just happened. Im not ready to call it a day as i dont know if this is the end of the problem (i have no idea what i did). Any thoughts on what it could be?
Friday, August 17, 2007 5:37 PM
Ah yes i did post in the wrong thread, rather than post in 2 threads, heres the link to my other thread: here
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search