List of "Best Engines" ever made - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
List of "Best Engines" ever made
Saturday, November 01, 2008 9:27 PM
I've made a rough list of what the best engines of all time are. I thought it could be fun if people added to the list and then we could vote on the best L4, V6, V8, V12 of all time (I didn't include the V10 because there's like two of em...)

So here's my rough picks

2.3 Ford Lime SOHC L4
3.8 Buick OHV V6
3.2 Alfa Romeo DOHC V6
350 GM "Generation I" OHV V8
4.9 Ferrari Colombo V12
6.75 Rolls-Royce V8
3.5 Rover V8
1.8 Toyota 2GZZ-GE L4
426 Chrysler Hemi V8
5.0 Ford High Output V8
2.2 GM Ecotec DOHC L4
225 Chrysler Slant 6 OHV L6
4.0 AMC/Jeep L6

I don't think there can be much disagreement that any of these engines deserve to be on this list, even if you don't think they are the "best". I'm sure there's more though, let's see what you guys think.

Re: List of "Best Engines" ever made
Saturday, November 01, 2008 9:45 PM
Pontiac 400 and im gonna toss in the LN2(tough little suckers)

"Project 69'"
1969 Chevrolet C/10, 1/2 ton, 2wd
-Boosted LS1?
-Richmond ROD 6-speed(will get sometime)
-Posi 12-bolt(built w/eaton posi unit and richmond 3.73 gears)
-Disc brake and 5 lug swap
+little extras
Saturday, November 01, 2008 9:57 PM
funny cause the Ln2 was voted worst engine gm ever made in a magazine

Saturday, November 01, 2008 10:06 PM
EcotecSS wrote:funny cause the Ln2 was voted worst engine gm ever made in a magazine

By a magazine that does'nt look twice at 4 cyl econo cars....

Totally unbiased Im sure...

Ln2...you always need a fall back thats just down right durable..If it lasts about as long or longer than a honda and it was originated 30+ years ago using technology from even earlier I'd say you did a fine job. Nothing wrong with a workhorse...in this case its just everyones bitch...

How could oyu leave out the mighty Ellis Juan?

<enter some tool who thinks the 2JZ-GTE isthe greatest thing since sliced bread...>

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Saturday, November 01, 2008 10:48 PM
What's wrong with the 2JZ-GTE? Not the greatest engine ever, but it's not bad. I personally think that there are better engines and better straight sixes (The Chrysler Slant 6 or the Ford Barra 6 or the Ford 4.9 L6 come immediately to mind) but that doesn't mean that it's bad either. Superior to all other engines? No. But hardly an inferior design either.

LN2 is a good workhorse, and it's a lot more solid than most people think, but it isn't quite legendary in the way that a Ford Lima (Pinto) engine is. They still use the Limas in Formula Ford and a Turbocharged Lima will put out 450hp without any internal mods save forged pistons and a better head gasket.

I've never been one to prefer one brand to another, one make to another. A good engine is a good engine. I was never a big GM fan yet you'll see that I included the 350 V8, Rover (Buick) V8, Ecotec and Buick V6 because I'd have to be blind not to. Same goes for the Rolls-Royce V8. Not a fan of the cars, but the engine is such an incredible piece of machinery that I have to put it in the list.
Saturday, November 01, 2008 11:57 PM
Damn, how could i have forgotten the 5.9L Cummins.

"Project 69'"
1969 Chevrolet C/10, 1/2 ton, 2wd
-Boosted LS1?
-Richmond ROD 6-speed(will get sometime)
-Posi 12-bolt(built w/eaton posi unit and richmond 3.73 gears)
-Disc brake and 5 lug swap
+little extras
Sunday, November 02, 2008 12:02 AM
i am not a ford fan but you gotta respect the 6.4L or 7.3L Power stroke diesels

Sunday, November 02, 2008 12:08 AM

rb26dett

------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------
Those so naive, so hard headed, so narcissistic, that think that by their own efforts can single handedly change the world, are always the ones that do.
Sunday, November 02, 2008 12:23 AM
Honda B18 variants and K20 variants. Say what you will about Honda, but those engines B18 especially helped start a revolution. And the K20 just rules.

I also am a big fan of the Nissan SR20DE and SR20DET engines. Very over built and rev happy.

Also maybe but not legendary, but certainly in damn near every Ford truck ever and reliable as hell - The 300 ci 4.9 Ford ohv I6 . Not a flashy or outstanding engine, but they seem to last longer than their old v8s did.

Re: List of
Sunday, November 02, 2008 12:29 AM
here is my vote

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, November 02, 2008 1:24 AM
LS1 is implied now isn't it? Like seriously? LOL

I thought that was like the 11th Commandment. Thou shalt not disrespect or disregard thy LS series engine.

Re: List of &quot;Best Engines&quot; ever made
Sunday, November 02, 2008 1:25 AM
HardcoreXSunfire wrote:i am not a ford fan but you gotta respect the 6.4L or 7.3L Power stroke diesels

You're kidding right?

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Re: List of &amp;quot;Best Engines&amp;quot; ever made
Sunday, November 02, 2008 5:01 AM
old (late 60's-early 70's) Chrysler 340 (think AAR Cuda and Challenger R/T) that thing was beyond durable, it took alot of abuse and worked great on the street

Re: List of &amp;amp;quot;Best Engines&amp;amp;quot; ever made
Sunday, November 02, 2008 6:38 AM
air cooled vw flat four should be on the list as well. It was designed in the 1930's and made until a few years ago in mexico beetles.
Re: List of &amp;amp;amp;quot;Best Engines&amp;amp;amp;quot; ever made
Sunday, November 02, 2008 6:54 AM
Lets be realistic here
1. The Chevy 350 smallblock its the most popular engine of all time and has the largest aftermarket of any
2. The LSx - simply the best V8 ever made
3. Buick 3.8 - Prob the best V6 ever made
4. The air cooled V-dub 4s
5. The 2JZ supra motors - can take alot of abuse stock
6. The LNF - this is truely a marvel of modern engineering
7. K series Honda engines - These things are like baby Ferraris
8. 4.6 Supercharged Cobras 03-04 - Fords answer to the LS1 and quite a response it was

? The Quad 4, a sentimental favorite of mine (as much as I would never want to own one again now), it was truely the first 4 cylinder to have some balls, the foreign makes at the time had hardly anything over 100hp and contemporary domestic motors werent much closer.

sorry but I cant add anything Chrysler ever made because non of it has ever been reliable

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Re: List of &amp;amp;amp;amp;quot;Best Engines&amp;amp;amp;amp;quot; ever made
Sunday, November 02, 2008 7:17 AM
Anyone vote for the Chevy 4.3 V6 or the 4G63?

What's funny to me is people bragging about beating Cavaliers in street races.

Re: List of &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;quot;Best Engines&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;quot; ever made
Sunday, November 02, 2008 7:23 AM
im going to go with the 4.3 also and the 2.4 eco
Re: List of &amp;amp;amp;amp;quot;Best Engines&amp;amp;amp;amp;quot; ever made
Sunday, November 02, 2008 7:28 AM
Rodimus Prime wrote:Lets be realistic here
1. The Chevy 350 smallblock its the most popular engine of all time and has the largest aftermarket of any
2. The LSx - simply the best V8 ever made
3. Buick 3.8 - Prob the best V6 ever made
4. The air cooled V-dub 4s
5. The 2JZ supra motors - can take alot of abuse stock
6. The LNF - this is truely a marvel of modern engineering
7. K series Honda engines - These things are like baby Ferraris
8. 4.6 Supercharged Cobras 03-04 - Fords answer to the LS1 and quite a response it was

? The Quad 4, a sentimental favorite of mine (as much as I would never want to own one again now), it was truely the first 4 cylinder to have some balls, the foreign makes at the time had hardly anything over 100hp and contemporary domestic motors werent much closer.

sorry but I cant add anything Chrysler ever made because non of it has ever been reliable

The Chrysler Slant 6 was always quite reliable. Qualitywise, Chrysler began the downward spiral in 1975-76 when it switched from A-Bodies (Dart, Duster) to F-Bodies (Aspen, Volare).

However, reliability doesn't mean an engine is neccesarily "the best". After all it's hard to say anything bad about the 426 Hemi even though it was notoriously unreliable, impossible to tune correctly, burned oil almost as fast as gas, needed weapons grade fuel, and was next to impossible to drive on the street. (A little know aside about musclecars here is that, stock for stock, a 440 Six-Pack would easily beat a Hemi back in the 60's.) Yet at the same time, once you prepped it for the racetrack it's charms would come out in spades. It's not just the most succesful racing engine of all time, it's the most succesful racing engine design of all time.

Reliability is a big part of what makes engines great, but in some cases it doesn't matter.
Re: List of &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;quot;Best Engines&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;quot; ever made
Sunday, November 02, 2008 8:09 AM
saab 2.3l turbo ... drool

Re: List of &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;quot;Best Engines&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;quot; ever made
Sunday, November 02, 2008 8:15 AM
Nick Oliver wrote:saab 2.3l turbo ... drool

Heard they were nightmares.

Sunday, November 02, 2008 8:23 AM
KFLO wrote:LS1 is implied now isn't it? Like seriously? LOL

I thought that was like the 11th Commandment. Thou shalt not disrespect or disregard thy LS series engine.

chuck norris is awesome. the LS1 is awesomer

Sunday, November 02, 2008 8:43 AM
2.5l Iron Duke.

Sunday, November 02, 2008 8:45 AM
99redz24 wrote:
KFLO wrote:LS1 is implied now isn't it? Like seriously? LOL

chuck norris is awesome. the LS1 is awesomer

Chuck Norris prays to the LSx.

Sunday, November 02, 2008 9:03 AM
chuck norris has an LS1 in the center of his chest instead of a heart

Sunday, November 02, 2008 9:04 AM
A Cummins 6.7l 6 cylinder Diesel

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search