Gold engine, packing serious power... - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Gold engine, packing serious power...
Thursday, October 14, 2010 9:52 PM
Link

Was just looking at this and was thinking that a gold plated engine is pretty cool, then I saw the rest of the car and was like wow thats alot of gold that looks pretty bad ass, then I read where it got into more specifics on the turbo/fuel system/ hp, and thought HOLY @!#$!

Discuss...

Re: Gold engine, packing serious power...
Thursday, October 14, 2010 10:46 PM
wow

Thursday, October 14, 2010 11:23 PM
Here's a vid that may also spike some interest...
Engine Dyno
Friday, October 15, 2010 1:15 AM
bradsk88 wrote:wow

lol, your sig had me cleaning my laptop screen.....

Friday, October 15, 2010 5:53 AM
holy @!#$

Friday, October 15, 2010 12:31 PM
@!#$

I <3 JGM
I think bigfoot is blurry,
that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra
scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster, roaming the countryside.
"Run! He's fuzzy!" "Get outta here!"

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Friday, October 15, 2010 2:00 PM
:O

Friday, October 15, 2010 3:41 PM
sweet baby jesus.....

Friday, October 15, 2010 4:29 PM
now that is fucking tits.

Underdog Racing
Friday, October 15, 2010 4:58 PM
im guessing this is all for show, no real performance benefit, but wow the attention to detail is about the best ive ever saw

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Friday, October 15, 2010 6:57 PM
Rodimus Prime wrote:im guessing this is all for show, no real performance benefit, but wow the attention to detail is about the best ive ever saw

If you are refering to the gold:

I'm pretty sure gold is one of the best, if not the best, metal for dispersing heat evenly. So the gold actually might be beneficial on the engine, although most of it is obviously just for the holy @!#$ that looks awesome factor. I'm not sure how much extra weight they added by gold plating tons of extra parts though.

If you are refering to the whole car as being just for show:

Quote:

The old version of this E46 holds a PB of 7.2 @ 196mph. Having learnt a lot from the first two BMW builds, Queen St are confident this will be their fastest yet. And in spite of all that gold, the BMW is actually 200kg (440lb) lighter than the previous version. Before being gold-plated, the quad rotor was assembled and run on an engine dyno, producing a power figure of 1664hp. Force feeding the four-rotor is this enormous GT60 turbo. A turbo of this magnitude needs a pretty serious fuel system, so it's hardly surprising to discover 20 1600cc injectors.

Friday, October 15, 2010 9:11 PM
i liked it better when i thought it was a neon

Saturday, October 16, 2010 1:52 AM
D.Simoes wrote:
Rodimus Prime wrote:im guessing this is all for show, no real performance benefit, but wow the attention to detail is about the best ive ever saw

If you are refering to the gold:

I'm pretty sure gold is one of the best, if not the best, metal for dispersing heat evenly. So the gold actually might be beneficial on the engine, although most of it is obviously just for the holy @!#$ that looks awesome factor. I'm not sure how much extra weight they added by gold plating tons of extra parts though.

Its gold plated, which wouldn't carry the same charcteristics as actual gold. It may help a bit, but not near enough to make it worth the wild. Its just for the holy @!#$ factor. The vehicle was 400lbs less then their previous model. I'm sure gold plating didn't add a whole ton to the vehicle.

Did anywhere else notice.... 20 1600CC injectors to supply fuel.

Saturday, October 16, 2010 11:05 AM

its the same reason as why hot rodders chrome their engines to help dispense heat.

the gold is a bit over the top but cool none the less

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Saturday, October 16, 2010 11:50 AM
99redz24 wrote:

its the same reason as why hot rodders chrome their engines to help dispense heat.

I'm just gonna try and use my brain here because I've never heard anything on the subject but, if they were trying to improve dispensing heat, would they not add fins to there engine instead of gold or chrome? Since the engines are liquid cooled I think its purely just for show. The Mclaren F1 had a gold lined engine bay to dissipate heat, not a gold engine.

Saturday, October 16, 2010 11:52 AM
99redz24 wrote:

LOL you really think thats why they chrome their engine? Sure, it may help. Cost to effectiveness though isn't even worth it.

Saturday, October 16, 2010 12:55 PM
While gold has a high heat transfer capability, chrome plating does not. Additionally, the polishing typical to preparation for chrome plating reduces available surface area, thus further diminishing cooling ability.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, October 16, 2010 7:24 PM

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Saturday, October 16, 2010 1:05 PM
lol @ gold and chrome plating adding weight.

Underdog Racing
Saturday, October 16, 2010 1:32 PM
Gold plating adds .36 grams per square inch. How many square inches do you think are plated? Now look at what they do just to sheer off a mere ounce. I don't think it makes a huge difference, but it def. adds weight.

Saturday, October 16, 2010 2:30 PM
who gives a f*ck what it does. its cool as hell.

Saturday, October 16, 2010 6:30 PM
02_redbadged wrote:who gives a f*ck what it does. its cool as hell.

Saturday, October 16, 2010 11:12 PM
z yaaaa wrote:lol @ gold and chrome plating adding weight.

Right adding a material on top of what's already there will not add any weight to it. Back to the powder coating arguments?

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Sunday, October 17, 2010 9:53 AM
Rabbit(AKA RedAssassin) wrote:
99redz24 wrote:

LOL you really think thats why they chrome their engine? Sure, it may help. Cost to effectiveness though isn't even worth it.

no, its not the whole reason hot rodders do it. but like i said, it helps with heat with an engine exposed to the sun

mctoad wrote:
99redz24 wrote:

I'm just gonna try and use my brain here because I've never heard anything on the subject but, if they were trying to improve dispensing heat, would they not add fins to there engine instead of gold or chrome? Since the engines are liquid cooled I think its purely just for show. The Mclaren F1 had a gold lined engine bay to dissipate heat, not a gold engine.

adding fins look like ass. thats why

Sunday, October 17, 2010 10:31 AM
I'm not buying the heat exchange deal. Its still made of the same metal. You have a very thin lair of gold plating. If you spent all that time and money because of heat transfer.....you're an idiot. I find it hard to believe someone who can build a car of that magnitude is that much of an idiot.

As for the chrome on hot rodders engines.....i'm definitely not buying that one. Most of the time its chrome plated steel. If they were worried about heat dissipation they would just use a different metal entirely. Not pay more money for something of the same metal just shiny like "Oh hey looks this will dissipate heat."

Sunday, October 17, 2010 12:13 PM
it has to do with color more than anything.
dark colors like black will soak in more heat than a light color like chrome.

they do it for show, but it also helps with heat

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search