What's Really "Made in America" - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What's Really "Made in America"
Thursday, March 24, 2011 9:24 PM
I read the article at work and waited to be put on the site as it's informative (I noticed how things changed too [worse] ). Helps it put into perspective.
Quote:

From C&D.
Contrary to popular belief, America still builds cars—a lot of them. Nearly 8 million cars and trucks came out of  U.S. plants last year. Step back and look at the entire North American continent, and production adds up to more than 12 million units. But even if a vehicle is made by an American company by American workers, it’s not necessarily an American car, at least according to our government. By Uncle Sam’s reckoning, if  75 percent (by value) or more of a car’s parts come from the U.S. or Canada, it’s considered a domestic product; less than that, and it’s not. The maps here tell you not only where your North American–made car is built, but just how American it really is.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Re: What's Really "Made in America"
Thursday, March 24, 2011 9:34 PM
thats a very informative chart, it's almost big enough to read.

Thursday, March 24, 2011 9:40 PM
Right click > Open image in new tab > Left click
Thursday, March 24, 2011 9:53 PM
Well I can say I am both sides with usa made and foreign on my 2 rides.One clearly my 85 is all american oldschool but my 87 mazda trk is japan and is solid.Granted alot of foreign manufactures have moved production here and are brand foreign but american assembled.So I am 50/50 and content!No complaints and like both being a decade back or more.So be it.

Re: What's Really
Thursday, March 24, 2011 10:31 PM
Darkstars wrote:thats a very informative chart, it's almost big enough to read.
Press F11 about 10 times.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Thursday, March 24, 2011 10:44 PM
To think Saturn S-series used to be 95-97% made here. My GT is 86% made here, while the Cruze is rolling at 45%. (?)

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Friday, March 25, 2011 5:01 AM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:To think Saturn S-series used to be 95-97% made here. My GT is 86% made here, while the Cruze is rolling at 45%. (?)

Not really suprising about the Cruze if you think about it. The Cruze was designed and tested for European & Asian markets before the american market. Who knows if it really takes off here in the US/Canada/Mexico GM might source more of it's parts in the U.S. for the NA Cruze.

On a Saturn note, a few years ago this guy in a F150 yells at my wife & I at a stop light in our Saturn "It's people like you buying foreign POS's that are putting americans out of work". I yell back @ him "Saturns are made by GM in Tennessee" and show him the GM logo on the back of the manual and also let him know that our Saturn had more american parts than his F150. Doin't think he liked that part too much as he sped off squealing his tires .

Friday, March 25, 2011 5:19 AM
Darkstars wrote:thats a very informative chart, it's almost big enough to read.

The little magnifying glass in the top left corner helps a bit

Want hub spacers? Shoot me a PM.

Friday, March 25, 2011 6:54 AM
The magnifying glass in the corner opened it seperate the exact same size (unless chrome just sucks). I try the other things and see if it works when I'm on my laptop again, I'm interested in seeing this.

Friday, March 25, 2011 7:06 AM
It pops up then there is another magnifying glass in the top left again.

Works fine in FF.

Want hub spacers? Shoot me a PM.

Friday, March 25, 2011 8:22 AM
Camry, Avalon, Venza, Tundra are more American than most "American" cars...lol

Not unintentionally accelerating since 2009!!!!

Friday, March 25, 2011 9:26 AM
Spike J wrote:On a Saturn note, a few years ago this guy in a F150 yells at my wife & I at a stop light in our Saturn "It's people like you buying foreign POS's that are putting americans out of work". I yell back @ him "Saturns are made by GM in Tennessee" and show him the GM logo on the back of the manual and also let him know that our Saturn had more american parts than his F150. Doin't think he liked that part too much as he sped off squealing his tires .

That's awesome, A guy did that to me in my Z24 years ago. He was in a rusting out POS Ford LTD. He yelled out the same ignorant line ""It's people like you buying foreign cars that are putting Americans out of work".
Now....I could have done what you did and made him feel stupid, but....since he already showed me his stupid card I decide to play through. I said "yep, I buy what I want. At least I'm not stuck in a piece of sh*t like you're driving". He got even more mad rolled his windows up and just laughed when the light changed he speed off i did a ricer fly-by with a rev or 2 just to be a bigger dick. I'm assuming it was at that point he saw the huge red Chevy bowtie on the back.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Friday, March 25, 2011 10:01 AM
I don't see it on there, so I guess my Fit is 100% not American.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Friday, March 25, 2011 10:30 AM
wow so ford is decently american followed by toyota and honda. and their build quality is higher with non union.....

Friday, March 25, 2011 12:27 PM
Cool chart, I wish they put another section of % of cars produced in the U.S. and not just part production. Nice info though none the less.

Friday, March 25, 2011 2:14 PM
I see a trend in that the SUV/trucks tend to be more American in product. I see almost no sports/small cars in there, especially the ones that are from Foreign brands.

www.drluc.ca
Friday, March 25, 2011 4:50 PM
Spike J wrote:
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:To think Saturn S-series used to be 95-97% made here. My GT is 86% made here, while the Cruze is rolling at 45%. (?)

Not really suprising about the Cruze if you think about it. The Cruze was designed and tested for European & Asian markets before the american market. Who knows if it really takes off here in the US/Canada/Mexico GM might source more of it's parts in the U.S. for the NA Cruze.

On a Saturn note, a few years ago this guy in a F150 yells at my wife & I at a stop light in our Saturn "It's people like you buying foreign Poss that are putting americans out of work". I yell back @ him "Saturns are made by GM in Tennessee" and show him the GM logo on the back of the manual and also let him know that our Saturn had more american parts than his F150. Doin't think he liked that part too much as he sped off squealing his tires .

What's in red is indeed a fact. What's in blue is an interesting theory that I would hope goes true. Odd though if you think about it. I know that when the Saturn Ion came out, the percentage dropped as well, granted the chassis was the old Opel Astra, just like the Cobalt. Even though I don't have the percentage of the Cobalt, I do remember not being so low like the Cruze today. But I could tell a mile away the Cruze has Korean, just for their above average fit and finish they tend to spit out.
Funny you mention that story, because it looks like we met the same ignorant person-lol. I don't know how many time I've heard that Saturn was an Asian company too. Well, GM never associated with Saturn and vice-versa in their ads... and it sure worked.

Sip wrote:I see a trend in that the SUV/trucks tend to be more American in product. I see almost no sports/small cars in there, especially the ones that are from Foreign brands.

Indeed.
The reason for this... build, engineer, design a vehicle for this market; Atleast that was the case for Toyota. Usually vehicles are not behemoths around the world and seldom sell. So instead the companies would put their R&D for a specific vehicle for a specific market. Like Ford will not sell the Excursion in Spain, or Dodge won't sell the Viper in Congo because there is no market for them. Same goes for Toyota, Japan doesn't get the Sequoia, but US does, just because there is a market here.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Friday, March 25, 2011 8:41 PM
Mike Demo wrote:wow so ford is decently american followed by toyota and honda. and their build quality is higher with non union.....

yeah....that must be the reason.

Honestly, All I care about is giving jobs to Americans. If its made in a plant here UAW or Rat workers, its putting money in someones pocket that the rest of us don't have to support.

Sunday, March 27, 2011 12:15 AM
Chevy Cobalt is N/A??

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, March 27, 2011 3:17 AM
I guess we didn't buy American when we bought the Volvo.

Monday, March 28, 2011 7:15 PM
Rosario wrote:
Mike Demo wrote:wow so ford is decently american followed by toyota and honda. and their build quality is higher with non union.....

yeah....that must be the reason.

Honestly, All I care about is giving jobs to Americans. If its made in a plant here UAW or Rat workers, its putting money in someones pocket that the rest of us don't have to support.

Agreed.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search