2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Transmission Question - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Transmission Question
Monday, May 09, 2011 8:24 PM
Okay, so my grandmother has a Dodge Ram 1500 Conversion Van, anyway the transmission is having issues, and I just thought I'd ask around before aimlessly doing things to it. SO...first thing in the morning it shifts fine, but after a few minutes of driving and warming up, the transmission stops wanting to shift, and you have to blip the throttle to get it to finally shift. I am curious as to what could be causing this. She is unsure of the last transmission fluid change, could this be causing it to not want to shift, or something electronic. I'd like to explore all avenues before settling on something, because I have seen that transmission services on this thing can be rather expensive. Thanks again!

Re: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Transmission Question
Tuesday, May 10, 2011 5:57 AM
dodge trans are known for not being very good. they need regular maintenance . i would say start with a fluid and filter change and if it does not solve the problem a rebuild/new trans might be the only other option
Tuesday, May 10, 2011 1:50 PM
I did a little more research and found out that it needed a front band adjustment. All is well now. Thanks though.
Tuesday, May 10, 2011 2:09 PM
Yes, there is a reverse band, but I don't think there is a forward band on a 2000. I could be wrong for sure.
Check for transmission shift codes. Shift solenoids, and Torque Converter solenoids go. When people don't change them, then the transmissions go. That's why Dodge has a bad rep. Their older transmissions had other problems due to clutch packs and bands. Another reason they got a bad rep was because idiots would change the trasmission fluid and put in dexron, or universal fluid. Mopar's do not like anything but Mopar. You can't put gm fluid in a Mopar. Different additives and properties chewed up the clutch packs from the dexron and destroyed the friction material on the bands very quickly.
As for the reverse band it does need to be adjusted regularly as well as regular fluid changes using ONLY ATF+4.

And btw, ukiddin, all transmission need regular maintenance. Dodge's just don't take stupidity as well as something else. I personally have never changed a Dodge transmission in any of the trucks or cars I've owned. It's about knowing how to drive them and care for them.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search