Buying SUV on Monday...tough choice!! - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Buying SUV on Monday...tough choice!!
Friday, September 16, 2011 1:35 AM
Hi!

This week the g/f and I went to try many SUV's, we need V6 engine, AWD and good cargo space. The competition is rough in this segment it's unbelievable. It comes down to these last two....Just wondering what you guys would do....

2011 Hyundai Santa Fe GL Premium
V6 - 3.5l 276 hp (this thing moves it's crazy for 3800 lbs)
AWD
Lot's of room / awesome interior
Comfy ride
5y / 100 000 km warranty
33 000$

2011 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS
V6-3.0l 235 hp (Plenty of power, 600 lbs lighter)
AWD
Plain interior, but ok for me, materials don't feel too cheap
Sportier ride a bit stiffer
Great cargo space with tailgate like a pick up truck, we loved that
10y / 160 000 km warranty
32 000$

There is our tough choice...Both were awesome on test drive. I don't know why but I feel the Outlander has better off-roading capabilities and I trust the AWD system the most. Both dealerships give me 4 winter tires and wheels + 500$ gas card. They have 18 inch wheels,navigation and chrome accents.

On a side note....The Mistu dealer offered me a 2011 Endeavor (wich he really wanted us to try) for the same price as the Outlander...This thing looked like a freaking rally truck with a Cadillac-like interior.Rode great too,full panoramic view,huge humming noise from off-road tires though. It had a 44k tag on it, and seemed to drink gas like crazy. He really really wanted us to buy it. Not a fan of the looks and smelled scam, 44k for 32k..hummm

Thanks for your input!!!

Re: Buying SUV on Monday...tough choice!!
Friday, September 16, 2011 6:14 AM
I would pick the Santa Fe.

O noes!
Friday, September 16, 2011 11:28 PM
mitsu and hyundai are your top two picks for suv's? wtf

Saturday, September 17, 2011 6:36 AM
^^^^ You know what!? I'm as surprised as you!

we have a 35k budget everything included for a SUV since I'm keeping the Koup Sx. We tried many, ranging 27k to 34k. From all the ones we tried, at my own surprise our top choices are these two.

We tried the Nissan Rogue,Ford Escape,Honda CRV base model, Toyota Rav4 base model,Kia Sportage,Chevy Equinox,GMC Terrain,Mistu Outlander V6 and Hyundai Santa Fe. The last two seriously surprised me, they wern't even on my mind and went to test drive them due to good comments from people I know. I'm @!#$ting bricks right now and I can't sleep due to many choices and awesome offers.

The Mistu salesman called this morning and made me a difficult to refuse offer. He is giving me 4 Nokian H5 winter tires, black winter rims and TPMS sensors and 750$ gift card for accessories or service. Please note that he was also the ONLY ONE to let me test drive the SUV in off-road conditions and he was the one who offered me to do so. I'd really like some input negative or positive on this vehicle...
Saturday, September 17, 2011 6:02 PM
tell them to keep the $750 gift card and take the $ off the price of your new vehicle, depending on the length of term youll save a bit from the lower price being financed.

go with what gives you all the options you want for the lower price

Saturday, September 17, 2011 6:11 PM
I go with the mitsu out of those choices. They're not bad but not my top choice for an suv. Though my choice in cars is always determined by, can I tune it without a standalone. So I would have weeded out everything in the class you were looking at besides the subaru forester and the 2 GM's on that aspect alone, unless dsmlink or evoflash work with the mitsu

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Saturday, September 17, 2011 6:12 PM
couldn't you get a Wrangler 4 door for that price?

Saturday, September 17, 2011 10:35 PM
have you thought of a forester? abd you could get turbo for les than 30k.

http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/forester/index.html

Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:17 PM
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:I go with the mitsu out of those choices. They're not bad but not my top choice for an suv. Though my choice in cars is always determined by, can I tune it without a standalone. So I would have weeded out everything in the class you were looking at besides the subaru forester and the 2 GM's on that aspect alone, unless dsmlink or evoflash work with the mitsu

Because everyone's DD choice should be based on "how easily can I @!#$ with it"?

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:21 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:I go with the mitsu out of those choices. They're not bad but not my top choice for an suv. Though my choice in cars is always determined by, can I tune it without a standalone. So I would have weeded out everything in the class you were looking at besides the subaru forester and the 2 GM's on that aspect alone, unless dsmlink or evoflash work with the mitsu

Because everyone's DD choice should be based on "how easily can I @!#$ with it"?

Why not? if you cant tune it might as well get used to paying the dealer to pull the codes.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:12 AM
Tuning and pulling codes are not related. Wow.

We bought a 2011 Pathfinder earlier this year. I really wanted a Tahoe, she wanted a Pathfinder. After driving the Pathfinder I was really impressed. It was also much cheaper. just under 30k, 266hp V6. It is listed at 22mph on the highway and it always gets 22 mpg to every tank of gas so far. So can not complain. If need be I can tow with it.

FU Tuning

Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:27 AM
Of the two.
A. 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe GL Premium

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:49 AM
i drive and do tons of pre deliver inspections on the newer Hyundai Santa Fe's they really are very nice what about the nissan rogue?

Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:18 PM
...cx7
but im baised

Im sure you've done online reviews regarding maint, longevity, etc (if not, search search search!) preferably on vehicle specific forums??
i kinda like both of your options...... wish i had 30k to spend on a new car!! hahahaha we got our 2009 cx7 w/26k miles for 16k

good luck with the decision!! POST PICS!

Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:53 PM
used tb ss or srt8 jeep?

Sunday, September 18, 2011 2:02 PM
Quote:

what about the nissan rogue?

The CVT trans made the engine growl like crazy and space cargo was small and awkward.

Quote:

...cx7but im baised

My friend has one and experienced many problems, blown struts under 30 000km, front doors are falling off etc...He's not really satisfied with it and scares me a bit...

Quote:

used tb ss or srt8 jeep?

Fuel economy was near top of list too! Because I have a huge hard-on over the black SRT-8's...

After many many searches on the interweb I think the best route for my family and I would be the Mitsu Outlander V6 AWD. Last night of thinking and not sleeping over this. The white one I tried was pretty nice with the 18 inchers and chrome grill. Who knows!!
Sunday, September 18, 2011 5:40 PM
MyKoup_owns_theZ wrote:
I think the best route for my family and I would be the Mitsu Outlander V6 AWD.
Do you really trust Mitsubishi? The way how that company is dropping/discontinuing their models, I really don't see to much of a future in that brand?

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Sunday, September 18, 2011 5:51 PM
GMC Terrain? Chevy equivalent? Pretty sure they have a 6 cyl... And the price tag is in your range. Interiors are very up scale.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 6:03 PM
I love my nitro. V6 with heated leather and everything. Styling isn't for everyone though, but I love it. I'd look at the Ford Edge also.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 8:15 PM
OhForKavy (WhiteKnightro) wrote:I love my nitro. V6 with heated leather and everything. Styling isn't for everyone though, but I love it. I'd look at the Ford Edge also.

My friend has one. I like the looks. Our Pathfinder has more room on the inside compared, but still very nice.

FU Tuning

Sunday, September 18, 2011 9:13 PM
forester or the outback. prob outback 3.6r premium with all weather package good space and a real awd instead of a front driver with an erector set to make it pretend to work. save yourself the heartache of buying a mitsu. hyundai's traction systems are great if you live in florida...

Monday, September 19, 2011 1:04 AM
Hyundai for sure. The warranty can't be beat and the Santa Fe is a good looking SUV. Have you even thought of the Kia Sorrento? Same exact vehicle but much nicer styling...and that same awesome warranty.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Monday, September 19, 2011 2:27 AM
Quote:

Hyundai for sure. The warranty can't be beat and the Santa Fe is a good looking SUV. Have you even thought of the Kia Sorrento? Same exact vehicle but much nicer styling...and that same awesome warranty.

Wich awesome warranty are you guys talking about? Hyundai and Kia only have a 5 year/100 000 km warranty while Mitsu's is 10 year/160 000 km....Maybe it's a U.S thing???

Also the brand new Hyundai Santa Fe I test drove had terrible quality tires on it, WANLI mud and snow tires wich looked more like a big round chunk of plastic than an actual tire...On the road they felt rough and cornering gave me the feeling the tires were underinflated.

The salesman told me he'd give me 4 winter tires if I buy his truck and I told him I had bigger concerns about the rubber on it right now. 30 000k suv with cheap-O china tires..WTF I have a few months old daughter,security first on list.
Monday, September 19, 2011 9:56 AM
why buy an SUV at this point. It sounds like you want something that makes the statement that you are not a soccer mom. For mainly Highway driving i would choose one of your SUV wanna be's but im my case. my trucks are off-road more than they are on. So i go with something that has a proven off-road strength. Also remember you are going from a car to a truck they feel diffent in corners and with the different tires. I would suggest the Ford Escape. It has been an extremely reliable vehicle. Easy to fix it if anything comes up on it. and roomy. Plus it handles heading out to my wife and my hunting ground. I have been really impressed with it since the day i bought it and the day my wife was trying to make it home when they did not plow our roads. I am biased though since I drive have always driven fords till i was a broke college kid and bought a cavalier.

Monday, September 19, 2011 12:00 PM
I also suggest looking at a Subaru, Outback or Forster. I couldn't be happier with my Outback to do my SUV dirty work, the only thing I wish it would do is tow more weight so we could get a camper. Cargo space is great, I can reach the roof for bikes, it's very comfortable for adults to sit in the back & it has never, ever been stuck in the snow. My '99 is edging close to 160k miles & still going strong. Do yourself a favor & check them out before you buy.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search