'97 Lumina No Start - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
'97 Lumina No Start
Monday, August 20, 2012 3:12 PM
I'm out of ideas. Here's the problem: Turn the key to start the car and everything powers like it should, but I get no crank, no response other than the dash lighting up, relays clicking, and the fuel pump powering on. The security light is on, but not flashing, and has been (up until it stopped starting) going out after a second or two of getting the car running.

What I've done so far:
- Battery - Had it tested, it passed. All connections are solid. Tried jumping the car with a jumper pack and with cables hooked to another car with no start.

- Alternator - Had it tested, it passed. Less than a year old. All connections are solid.

- Neutral Safety Switch - Brand new. The old one was only letting me start in N, switched it out after the car was in a no start condition. .

- Starter Motor/Solenoid - Both brand new, connections are solid.

- VATS/Passkey - So far, I've tried the resistor trick with no change. I'm guessing that was not my problem. HOWEVER I have no way (to my knowledge) of testing the actual module, if anyone does, I'd appreciate the information.

- Assorted relays/fuses - So far they've all checked out fine, no signs of damage/burnout. All the relays click off and on as they should.

Any ideas?

Re: '97 Lumina No Start
Monday, August 20, 2012 6:30 PM
Some new info: With the key turned to the 'on' position I can jump the starter with a screwdriver laid across the power and ignition switch studs on the solenoid. Likely a bad ignition switch?

Monday, August 20, 2012 7:39 PM
Idk not familar with lumina but,have you tried slightly turning key or jiggling to see if it fires up?I know with another brand this key switch will simulate the same problem,and jiggling key sometimes works.Could be the electrical side of the switch is worn out and if not to costly could be worth a try.just yanking the parts steering wheel etc(assume this is req for yours)some time involved.Just a thought unless it is the crank pos sensor is bad,or oil pressure sensor will cause a no start.Those 2 will kill it from firing for sure if bad or connector is loose etc.Check those 1st.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 6:41 AM
More info: Ran the diagnostics outlined here: http://easyautodiagnostics.com/ignition_gm/ign_module_test_2.php

The only thing slightly out of line was on the first test (testing the ICM for 12 volts) it was a little low, reading 11.89. Not sure if it needs a true 12volts or not to get going. Everything else feel right into range however for both the ICM and Crankshaft Position Sensor.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search