Cavalier vs Fiero top speed - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cavalier vs Fiero top speed
Saturday, April 20, 2013 6:33 PM
So I was talking with a co-worker of mine with a 85 Fiero GT 2.8L (intake filter, home gasket matched ports, open exhaust, 15" rims estimated 120hp at wheels) with a 3-speed TH125C transmission (supposedly 3.06 final drive) and he bragged that at one point he maxed his car out at 140mph (needle spun around past his max speed so this was an estimate).

I drive a '00 Cavalier base 2.2L 2200 (CAI, bigger throttle body, full exhaust work, header, 16" rims estimated 120hp at wheels) with 3-speed TH125C (supposedly 3.18 final drive) and obviously my car tops out at around 106-110 with the speed gov but I've heard of people getting up to 120mph without a gov.

I've raced him before in the 1/4 and my car currently runs around 16.8sec at best, fiero is around 16.5 at best because of the weight difference and he has more torque with a V6.
So, for arguments sake (no I don't race on the street or freeway), if I can get my car up to around 150hp to the wheels and remove my gov, should I be able to keep up with him around 140mph?

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Gerkn

Re: Cavalier vs Fiero top speed
Saturday, April 20, 2013 7:01 PM
I doubt he was at 140mph, and no.

FU Tuning

Saturday, April 20, 2013 7:39 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:I doubt he was at 140mph, and no.

x2

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, April 21, 2013 12:31 PM
After doing a little reading I've found from different sources that it is possible to get a fairly stock Fiero GT around 135-140mph, so on a long enough straight with his huge spoiler and insanely wide tires (305's) I believe him. He said he had very little response from his steering though, so he probably had bad front lift.
I've also read from people that have supposedly gotten their cavaliers up to speed that the car experiences front end lift around 100mph with stock aerodynamics, so in theory if a proper front splitter was installed, body lowered and stiffened, proper tires installed, the car could remain fairly stable at higher speeds. So, once again, in theory I think if the power was increased a little and the governor removed the car should get up to 135 as well? Would the transmission have overheating issues since I know the 3T40 is supposed to be weak? Just curious if anyone has tried getting their modified cavy to go any faster.

Sunday, April 21, 2013 12:55 PM
Sorry for re-post,
just found on a locked thread that the max speed with the stock final drive (3.18) and setup on a flat road a cavalier will hit around 138mph before the trans is maxed, so I guess that answers my question. So in theory I could get the same top speed as the Fiero without the limiter but it would take longer to get there and be terribly unstable without some basic aero work. So with that and maybe the 2.84 final the car could be capable of 145mph downhill at best with the 3-speed auto. Definitely not a freeway race car haha.

Sunday, April 21, 2013 2:03 PM
Aero work is not needed.

The motor and tranny is going to hurt your chances a lot.

I have been to 124mph in my z24 when it was n/a.

I have also been in a cavy to 130mph but with a supercharger.

The 3 speed tranny will be the part that will hurt the most, then lack of power.

FU Tuning

Sunday, April 21, 2013 8:19 PM
Are we really debating top speed and racing stock 3 speed automatic cars?

You dont need aero work or any of that stupid crap to go 130 mph. You need POWER.

Monday, April 22, 2013 9:58 PM
Brian wrote:Are we really debating top speed and racing stock 3 speed automatic cars?

You dont need aero work or any of that stupid crap to go 130 mph. You need POWER.

but... but... muh braggin ritez...

to the op:

if youve never been in a stock j at the limiter you dont know why its there.

108 is scary in a third gen. it would only be worse in a fiero.

there once upon a time was place called the vs. forum that this thread would have fit right into. bench racing and braggarts the lot of em.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Tuesday, April 23, 2013 12:06 AM
hoist a sail and race down hill, maybe you'll do something impressive with a strong enough tail wind

or go to the salt flats, maybe you'll break 100mph within the 5 miles they give you to do a top speed run.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 12:11 AM
Capn Bloodbeard wrote:
Brian wrote:Are we really debating top speed and racing stock 3 speed automatic cars?

to the op:

there once upon a time was place called the vs. forum that this thread would have fit right into. bench racing and braggarts the lot of em.

108 isn't scary in a third gen that's ACTUALLY fast.

in fact, most actually fast cars can get to 100mph relatively quickly. so quickly that you won't realize it.

the skwirl back in the day would trap at 97mph and even then, it still felt a LOT slower after breaking 100mph even though it would still be accelerating...

the point: a modified 3rd gen (or any car) to handle the speed and get to that speed quickly isn't bad.

but standing on the accelerator for 5 minutes is stupid.
top speed is all about good drag coefficient, horsepower and gearing
and a stock OHV 3 speed cavalier has none of the above.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 6:03 AM
I went 115 once in my Cav once.

Might have gone faster but those pesky 1320' tracks...

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 8:30 AM
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) wrote:
Capn Bloodbeard wrote:

to the op:

108 isn't scary in a third gen that's ACTUALLY fast.

in fact, most actually fast cars can get to 100mph relatively quickly. so quickly that you won't realize it.

the skwirl back in the day would trap at 97mph and even then, it still felt a LOT slower after breaking 100mph even though it would still be accelerating...

the point: a modified 3rd gen (or any car) to handle the speed and get to that speed quickly isn't bad.

but standing on the accelerator for 5 minutes is stupid.
top speed is all about good drag coefficient, horsepower and gearing
and a stock OHV 3 speed cavalier has none of the above.

I agree. I have been at the limiter in a few z24 and ls sports and they were just fine.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search