Officially own my first motorcycle! - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Officially own my first motorcycle!
Saturday, April 20, 2013 8:16 PM
I went and picked it up this morning after working a 12 hour 3rd shift and have only slept 45 minutes today because of it. It isn't perfect but it needs absolutely NOTHING. The brakes, air filter, front tire, spark plugs, gas cap, turn signals, oil, were all just changed including the carbs being cleaned(and a fresh inspection sticker). I will make progress thread eventually I am sure for repairing some of the cosmetics(a few scrapes, dings, etc) but my priority now is to learn and get better at riding it!

Here is my new, old 91 Suzuki GS500E:

(I didn't make to take this picture of the infamous ginger crotch but I kinda liked it for some reason. Haha.)

My ferrets loves the fact that I got the bike because they have a new box to play in!

I took more pics than this but my cell didn't save them for some reason sadly because I got some real nice ones and it was the perfect time of the day to take them. More will come soon!

Re: Officially own my first motorcycle!
Sunday, April 21, 2013 6:56 AM
Nice, I should document my bike's build on here someday!

Nice ferrets, used to have two, around 6 years old though health issues as they're known to have came and they both passed away around the same time. Sad, they're fun little animals.

Sunday, April 21, 2013 9:02 AM
Thanks, and that you should! It's my first bike like I said, so so far I am happy with it. I am just trying to get a choke issue resolved for when its cold but other than that it seems to be as described.

And yes they are awesome pets! Kinda like cats, but waaaay funnier ALL the time. And yea they usually only live between 5 - 7 years so that kind of sucks, but my little guys are going to turn 2 in a little here so they have a little while left. I tell them to have fun now because they are going to die soon. lmfao.

Sunday, April 21, 2013 8:21 PM
Looks cool. Give her a good cleaning and enjoy!

Monday, April 22, 2013 6:58 AM
good looking bike you have there. enjoy it. my brother in law once rode one of those from chicago to minneapolis to iowa city and back home. they are great bikes when properly maintained and i have always found that size to be just perfect. no need to jump up to 1100's.

Monday, April 22, 2013 8:52 AM
Thanks guys!

And yes henchman I love the look and the size of the bike. And they get great gas mileage for being powerful enough to maintain highway speeds, which is really the selling point that got me considering I will be commuting with it back and forth to work and college. And their engines are almost bullet proof with regular maintenance which isn't hard at all considering it is a naked, AIR cooled bike. Even the spark plugs are visible without moving or touching anything. Haha.

I AM having a slight idling problem with it atm that I am trying to trouble shoot. I'll copy what I wrote on the GS forum I am apart of:

"SOOOO I just took the bike out for an awesome 15 miles run and back since it's a little warmer out now (51F) and when I came back and was pulling it into the parking spot the idle went way down to like .5-.75k RPMs. And I watched it and it died a few seconds later. I turned the bike back on and it turned right back off. Turned it on again and gave it a little gas and it stayed on but as soon as I let it go back to idle it would shut off again. I tried to choke it, and it died before it even had time to work. There is a stop sign right up the road from me and I stopped at it for at least 6 seconds and it seemed to idle fine, but I may have been giving it a little gas I didn't really have a reason to pay attention. Any ideas?"

Monday, April 22, 2013 1:31 PM
Dude, awesome bike!! Have fun

Monday, April 22, 2013 2:55 PM
Eternal wrote:Dude, awesome bike!! Have fun

Monday, April 22, 2013 3:02 PM
Cell phone post fail....

And thanks Larry! Long time no talk. I love it so far man. I can see me riding bikes for the rest of my life. Haha

Sunday, April 28, 2013 4:31 PM
Oooook well a few days ago here in central PA we got a pretty hardcore rain storm while I was at work. I got a call from my grandma that my bike fell over because the ground under it got soft(hate it when it gets soft...) and she, obviously, couldn't pick it up. Sooo when I got home it was still storming so I picked it up and moved it to hard ground and went inside. The next day I went out and cleaned the mud off and tried to start it but nothing, it wouldnt even turn over more than a few times. Sooo I checked the oil and it smelled like pure gas pretty much. So I changed the oil and filter, and also bled my carbs and they came out like total @!#$ and I saw that the gas looked horrid so I drained out ALL of the stale gas and changed the old arse fuel filters and put new gas in it. It still wouldnt start and it just clicked so I went and charged the battery for a few hours, hooked it back up, and it started right up. By this time it was really late and cold so I went inside and left it at that. Next day, it wouldn't start again. So I made another trip down the mountain and got a new battery. Charged it for 8 hours and put it in and it starts right up now. It is STILL having the choke/idle/not staying on issue when you turn it on and havent ran it yet that I have to look at but I did get a lot done so far.

I also got insurance for a year($75, woohoo!), a plate, registration, and my permit so it and myself are 100% legal to ride on the road now!

Monday, April 29, 2013 6:52 AM
GTmatters wrote:Oooook well a few days ago here in central PA we got a pretty hardcore rain storm while I was at work. I got a call from my grandma that my bike fell over because the ground under it got soft(hate it when it gets soft...) and she, obviously, couldn't pick it up. Sooo when I got home it was still storming so I picked it up and moved it to hard ground and went inside.

I keep one of these in my jacket for non-pavement parking situations, kickstand puck-
http://jvpucks.com/abs-plastic-pucks.html

Monday, April 29, 2013 7:51 AM
Joe Schulte wrote:
GTmatters wrote:Oooook well a few days ago here in central PA we got a pretty hardcore rain storm while I was at work. I got a call from my grandma that my bike fell over because the ground under it got soft(hate it when it gets soft...) and she, obviously, couldn't pick it up. Sooo when I got home it was still storming so I picked it up and moved it to hard ground and went inside.

I keep one of these in my jacket for non-pavement parking situations, kickstand puck-
http://jvpucks.com/abs-plastic-pucks.html

a very good piece of advice

Monday, April 29, 2013 11:09 AM
i always just had a flattened tin can. it worked great. even when i had to park on asphalt during the summer.

Monday, April 29, 2013 3:51 PM
That is a pretty good idea but I usually use my center kick stand so the fluids all sit evenly. But I will have to look into something to put under it.

Well after changing the fuel, fuel filter, oil, oil filter, battery, and filling the gas up, I do believe she is running much happier. After riding her for alittle today she wasn't shutting off at lights without me giving it gas. I took her to work for the first time and then took a long way home on the highway and had her cruising at about 80 MPH pretty comfortably!

There is only 1 thing left to do and that is to have a new stud installed onto the plate that holds my oil filter in. When I changed the oil I kinda sheered it off... It's not a huge deal. It only dripped a few drops of oil all day of riding. I have an appointment to get it fixed in 2 weeks.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search