'06 GSXR Headlight Retrofit - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
'06 GSXR Headlight Retrofit
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:29 AM
Hey guys!

Retrofited the Gixxer this week, figured I'd throw up some pictures.

First up, I used the Stage 3 Motorcycle retrofit kit from The Retrofit Source, I grossly underestimated how much work this would take (they make it seem so easy on the internet...lol).

Anyways, this is what I ended up with, I didn't do this for looks I mainly did it for better light output at night (I live in Northern Canada and drive the highways at night quite often....high risk of wildlife on the road at night).

All torn down.

Test fit of everything before paint

Finished

Lit up (yes the highbeam is yellow, they are 3000k bulbs, I had some laying around so it was free)

Half put back together

So I got to that point only to realize I installed the projector upside down (forgot that the glass lens flips the light going through it, so the shutter goes at the bottom and not the top....dumbass mistake) so I ripped it all apart again took the projector out and fixed it.

Back to almost exactly where I was in the last pic now, hopefully get the nose back on tonight, find a place to hid the ballasts (a job in itself on a bike) and hopefully get to take it for a spin later on tonight.

Cheers!

Re: '06 GSXR Headlight Retrofit
Wednesday, June 26, 2013 10:00 AM
Glad you figured out the light output before you got it 100% done and installed I always like to shine a flashlight through mine to double check.

Thats going to fit on the bike perfectly.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 10:37 AM
Thanks man!

It is a big upgrade over the chrome reflector that was there before...always thought it looked stupid that it was the only thing chrome or silver on pretty much the whole front end.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:31 PM
seems like a nice lil project, how long did it take you to do it? i have no chrome or silver parts on by gsxr either but never looked into a solution of getting rid of it

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 5:40 PM
Very cool man! Looks great.

Thursday, June 27, 2013 11:23 AM
05kar wrote:seems like a nice lil project, how long did it take you to do it? i have no chrome or silver parts on by gsxr either but never looked into a solution of getting rid of it

Took me way longer than I had planned on, I would say if everything went according to plan it would be a two night project.

Friday, June 28, 2013 8:45 AM
Lol that sucks that you installed them upside down but they def. look sick. Well done man. Upload a pic when installed please!

It does NOT make me miss when I retro'd the GTs headlights... ugh. lmfao. It was a stressful PITA. But turned out amazing.

Friday, June 28, 2013 8:54 AM
All finished and back on the bike, I have them aimed a bit to high at the moment so I need to fix that.

Friday, June 28, 2013 9:09 AM
Looks sick.

Friday, June 28, 2013 9:53 AM
Thanks man! It completes the front end IMO, way better than the chrome headlight bucket standing out like a sore thumb.

Kinda has a Ducatti 749 look to it coming down the road with the stacked projectors now.

Now to just get rid of my Two-Brothers exhaust for something else and I'll be happy LOL

Monday, July 01, 2013 6:03 AM
Looks nice, I never got to doing that with my last gsxr before it was stolen, but every bike since then has been retrofitted, and I'll never go back.

Monday, July 01, 2013 4:28 PM
Dig it.

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 6:57 PM
you forgot a screw..... lol

looks nice!! fits the rest of the color scheme of the bike perfectly!

Thursday, July 04, 2013 9:28 AM
Thanks man!

As for the screw, they are plastic for god knows what reason, I wanted to give it just a final snug with the screw driver to make sure it was tight, and snap!

The guy before me had them on there so god damn tight I stripped a few trying to get them off, so I need a whole new set, just havent ran down to the motorsports part store yet.

Thursday, July 04, 2013 10:35 AM
Love it!

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Thursday, July 04, 2013 7:57 PM
Thanks!

Friday, July 05, 2013 9:33 AM
Looks like it should have been factory.

Can you replace said plastic screws with metal screws?

Friday, July 05, 2013 1:49 PM
Yes I can, to be honest if I can get some more plastic ones I probably will.

I just won't tighten them so much this time around...lol

Monday, July 08, 2013 9:46 AM
My Pro-bolt windscreen kit was cheap, I bet the red would match rather well, my blue did and amazingly didn't fade as I'd predicted they would.

Here ya go-
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=16534

Monday, July 08, 2013 7:59 PM
Thanks man, I'll check that out.

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 8:45 AM
Forgot to post the before:after pic

Looks good though!

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search