The Accord Stance / Wheel Rebuild Thread - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
The Accord Stance / Wheel Rebuild Thread
Thursday, August 15, 2013 3:03 PM
I've been photowhoring a lot since I got my Galaxy S4. So this is going to be photo heavy.

Here's the plan:

Rebuild the Imolas
Find some stretch friendly tires
BC Coilovers
Ingalls rear toe/camber kit
OEM front lip
Asian grille
Maybe a Nardi wheel

Otherwise its staying stock and clean. None of that typical stickered up, tow hook, mad tyte JDM bull@!#$. That's not me. I'm shooting for a Euro OEM+ kind of thing.

This is my Accord. The worlds most bad assed daily driver.

Lately I've gotten bored of my motorcycle. So its up for sale and I'm putting the money into my Accord.

After about 3 months of trolling the StanceWorks classifieds, I finally found a set of wheels that got me excited and wasn't going to break my budget.

Rial Imolas 18x8.5 +35. They're German and are apparently not very common.

The plan is to tear them down, PC the centers, strip and mirror polish the lips, and get new hardware. I'm still undecided on color scheme. I really wanted to a do a relip and make them +22 but at $300 a lip, screw that.

This is what boxes from California look like:

Unboxed. @!#$ ya I'm watching Spongebob.

Little lip. Nothing ridiculous. I'm trying to avoid a fender pull.

With the stockers (16s)

Some test fitting. I couldn't find any wood to sit them down on. So its like test fitting on a monster truck.

Decided to start splitting two of them last night. The other two have some minor bends I'm getting fixed tomorrow.

Then I saw this on my way home from work. Zombie Prep Service straight out of Florida

This is going to be an all winter kind of build. Thanks for looking!

Re: The Accord Stance / Wheel Rebuild Thread
Thursday, August 15, 2013 3:28 PM
Fingers cross it'll be one of the nice ones in the end. I always liked the look of that year of Accord.

I miss my Cavalier, even if it made 100 hp on a cold day and had more suspension then it deserved.
Friday, August 16, 2013 6:52 AM
I like those wheels. You gonna be adding any color?

Friday, August 16, 2013 9:30 AM
Brian wrote:Little lip. Nothing ridiculous. I'm trying to avoid a fender pull.

That's supposed to be a fresh Benjamin, you douche.

Friday, August 16, 2013 9:36 AM
Those lips look decently polished already - do you know if they are clearcoated?

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Friday, August 16, 2013 2:47 PM
Thanks guys. I did get my two wheels straightened today so I'll be tearing them down as long as I don't start on a bottle of Wild Turkey first.

Sparky15_00 (Corsica Dude) wrote:I like those wheels. You gonna be adding any color?

I haven't really decided. I've been kicking around everything from a full polish to full gloss black. Bronze/gold center is a possibility. I need to play with Photoshop and see what I like. The Accord is like my Sunfire. Its an odd color that is hard to work with.

SweetnessGT wrote:Those lips look decently polished already - do you know if they are clearcoated?

They are clearcoated for sure. Its flaking off the other 3 pretty badly. Especially the two that I got straightened today. All 4 have some curb rash.

The finish that isnt flaking or curbed looks pretty nice, but I dont think I can get the shine I want with clear on them.

I'm going to be picking up a cheap angle grinder, some wheels and compound tomorrow. Id really prefer a bench grinder but I think my apartment manager might not like me mounting one in my kitchen.

Friday, August 16, 2013 3:24 PM
Mr. Quick wrote:That's supposed to be a fresh Benjamin, you douche.

Go back to playing solitare old head. I spent all of my Benjamins on these damn things!

Friday, August 16, 2013 5:56 PM
Picked my wheels up from the Cliff Jacobs wheel repair shop. One of the best experiences I've had with a small shop.

I dropped them off at 9am and they were ready when I called at 2pm. Awesome awesome service. I was quoted for fixing one bend on the lip on each wheel. They went through and fixed ALL of the small bends on the front and back, They also cleaned off all of my curb rash free of charge.

Definitely recommend them to anyone in the Cincinnati area. They also do work if you want to ship. Its also a same day turn around for shipped wheels. I don't say this much but it was top notch service.

A single picture for tonight then I'm going to get drunk and yell at traffic.

Friday, August 16, 2013 8:34 PM
Looks good I think gold or bronze centers would look awesome with the maroon.
Friday, August 16, 2013 11:09 PM
I vote bronze as well, somewhere on the darker browner side of bronze rather then the yellowish gold side of that colors spectrum.

I miss my Cavalier, even if it made 100 hp on a cold day and had more suspension then it deserved.
Sunday, August 18, 2013 3:50 PM
Grayscale wrote:I vote bronze as well, somewhere on the darker browner side of bronze rather then the yellowish gold side of that colors spectrum.

Great minds think alike! I'm definitely feeling the darker bronze.

I made some progress today. Split the 2 wheels I got back then starting stripping the clear from the lips. I only got one done but I'm pleasantly surprised with how polished it was under the clear.

I'll let the pictures do the talking:

Cleared:

Stripped:

Set the lip back on the center, then went outside and took a few pictures:

Love these two:

Next step is to strip the other 3, then some 1500 wet sanding then some buffing.

Cheers!

Sunday, August 18, 2013 7:52 PM
This is gonna be good!

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Tuesday, August 20, 2013 6:14 PM
Qwik2k2z24 wrote:This is gonna be good!

Thanks man! I'm excited to get it done but its going to be slow going.

I did make some progress tonight. I got another lip stripped, then cleaned up the curb rash on it. This one isnt as polished as the first one. I think the paint stripper stained it a bit because I let it sit a bit longer this time.

It got dark out, then I decided to make myself a wheel whore wallpaper for my work computer:

Time to play some Assassins Creed.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 6:08 AM
nice pic. Those are gonna look awesome installed.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 6:23 AM
Polished lip, colormatched centers.

Friday, August 23, 2013 1:07 PM
Ordering my BC's through Circuit Motorsports this weekend if my Vulcan sells. Here's hoping.

Friday, August 23, 2013 1:08 PM
Mr. Quick wrote:Polished lip, colormatched centers.

I second this and add gold bolts.

Sunday, August 25, 2013 7:00 AM
Coming along nicely man! Any new updates?

Sunday, August 25, 2013 11:49 AM
Thanks! Unfortunately not a lot to update on. I've been up north at my parents house for the weekend so the wheels haven't gotten any more attention.

Still waiting on the bike to sell to order my coilovers. I'm back at my internship for the semester so I have a little bit of extra money but my budget for this is pretty slim and tuition payments come first haha.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search