98 gtp transmission problems - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
98 gtp transmission problems
Saturday, March 07, 2015 1:43 PM
I bought this 1998 Daytona 500 133,xxx miles 4T65E-HS transmission and decided to fix it rather than to strip it down. It will not go into park but it will go through every other gear, its stuck out of park. now the guy i bought it from only had it for a week and he bought it from his friend to flip it. They said the transmission slips when its warmed up. i drove it home, and the transmission seemed to work fine, but like they said, when it got almost to OT, it started to slip slowly, no matter how little of gas i gave it, drive just acted like neutral. i pulled over, and tried giving it gas, and drive acted like neutral. i shifted to 1st and still nothing, all the gears acted like neutral, i couldnt feel any gear engaging. i shut the car off, and waited 5 minutes. started it and away i go. then about 2 minutes down the road, it happens again. as i coasted, i shut the car down, and put it in neutral, let it coast for about 5 seconds, and started it and threw it in drive. the transmission worked again. for about 10 seconds, and it slowly gained RPM's, and acted like it was in neutral again. i did this about 10 times to get it home. Is this normally what jappens when these trannys go bad? Any ideas? I posted on grand prix forums as well.

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search