Dead cobalt engine and tranny swap - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Dead cobalt engine and tranny swap
Sunday, July 19, 2015 10:52 PM
I have an 03 cavalier ls sport manuel trans I just wreaked and the uni body frame is warped. I replaced the sub frame and other components that were broken so I can drive it but the doors leak and it's really annoying. I found an 07 cobalt for sale neer my area with a busted manuel tranny and best guess the engine isn't in the best shape either. I'm unsure if the cobalt has the 2.2 or the 2.4 but I know it doesn't have the 2.0 lsj s/c. My question is would it be more work than a normal engine and tranny swap to put my cavaliers engine and tranny in it and if so what mods are nessisary to pull this off?

Re: Dead cobalt engine and tranny swap
Monday, July 20, 2015 6:02 AM
For the most part it wont work.

The engine can physically fit, not sure about the trans. I don't believe so.

The biggest issue youd run into is the fact the reluctor wheel is not the same timing. So to make it run it would be alot more work and money then just finding the correct motor and trans for the cobalt
Monday, July 20, 2015 2:29 PM
Yeah I thought so u just figured I'd ask. I was able to talk to the person that is selling it and she says it still runs just won't move because of the transmission. Is there any difference between the Getrag F23 manual or Getrag 282 manual from the first gen ecotec engines and the F23 or 282 manual transmission on the second gen?
Monday, July 20, 2015 4:16 PM
All cobalt f23s are the same as jbodies with the exception of the economy version in 2006 I believe, had a different final drive. They are all interchangeable with no issue. All f23s are interchangeable the only difference is the final drive with certain cars but the reluctor ring is on the diff so they are all plug and play.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search