Is it a deal? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Is it a deal?
Saturday, February 12, 2005 5:39 PM
Well about 200 miles from my house I found a 1991 Acura Integra GS 5-speed. They want 1,000 bux for it. Its a mechanics special, they said the timing jumped on it. Which if thats it isn't hard to fix. I can fix that myself np. I know theres a few import junkies on here so what I wanna know is should I pick it up? I'll get them to knock a 100 bux or so off atleast.

Re: Is it a deal?
Saturday, February 12, 2005 5:42 PM
Red Assassin wrote:they said the timing jumped on it. Which if thats it isn't hard to fix. I can fix that myself np.

Isn't hard to fix? Do you know what it means when the timing jumped? It means most likely there are bent valves at the very least. It could also mean damaged pistons and con rods. At any rate, jumped timing means you will be completely rebuilding the engine, or dropping in a new one.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Saturday, February 12, 2005 5:44 PM
offer them 300 bucks

-Borsty
Saturday, February 12, 2005 7:01 PM
Hmm, I never really thought much about it. Damn =/

Saturday, February 12, 2005 7:06 PM
Dave, that is definately something to think about. However, it is just a timing belt and not a chain. It could be something very simple or could be something more complex like you're talking about. I dont know why I wasn't thinking of that. I'll call them tomorrow and low ball offer them and if they take it then i'll rebuild it if I have to if I can get a good deal on it. If not then oh well i'll search for another deal.

Saturday, February 12, 2005 7:08 PM
Sorry for all the post =P I just talked to my buddy who's a big honda Guru. He's got a b16 in his Civic Hatch. He was telling me that on the b-series motor they use a timing belt with a tensioner and its pretty common for the tensioner to losen up or brake. Causing the timing to jump.

There is still that chance of bent valves etc.. though. Certainly something to check into.

Saturday, February 12, 2005 8:16 PM
The timing belt broke while I was driving my '89 Civic Hatch, and when I asked people about it, they said it was some sort of "no-clearance" engine, and that if the timing belt broke, it would most likely cause the pistons to hit the valves and mess $hit up. I was lucky, though, and just slapping a new timing belt on there (which was a pain in the a$$, let me tell you what) fixed it. A Honda guy that I talked to said he had only seen one other engine like mine break a timing belt and not mess anything up.

Rob

Sold 2/2/05
Saturday, February 12, 2005 9:38 PM
Yea, after talking to my dad he said the same thing about the no clearance thing. You break a timing belt its pretty much a given that the valves are bent at best.

I think i'm gonna let it go. If it was real close i'd offer him 300 bux, but its like 200 miles away.

Monday, February 14, 2005 10:35 AM
Id go for it and tell them that your mechanic told you that it will need a whole new motor. offer them 300 bucks

Im in the everybody club are you?
Monday, February 14, 2005 10:42 AM
ROBZ IL CAV wrote:The timing belt broke while I was driving my '89 Civic Hatch, and when I asked people about it, they said it was some sort of "no-clearance" engine, and that if the timing belt broke, it would most likely cause the pistons to hit the valves and mess $hit up. I was lucky, though, and just slapping a new timing belt on there (which was a pain in the a$$, let me tell you what) fixed it. A Honda guy that I talked to said he had only seen one other engine like mine break a timing belt and not mess anything up.

Rob

Usually when that happens your just toast. My friends neighbhor had that happen and his engine locked up. He could fix it short of buying a new motor, of course he just cut his loses and bought an GMC Savanna.

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 3:50 PM
I'll sell you my perfectly running 99 Hyundai for $2000 cash! With the stereo!

I love my Alison!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search