The HP Tuners FAQ - Page 8 - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: The HP Tuners FAQ
Saturday, May 27, 2006 7:27 PM
I highly doubt it's in limp mode seeing how I just ran a 14.9 at the track like 3 weeks ago.

Actually, I think I'm gonna put this on hold atleast until I hear of some people with good results for the eco's.

Thanks

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch

Sunday, May 28, 2006 3:24 AM
I just read all 7 pages of this and the HPtuners website and i am still confused about the credit thing. If i buy this I will only use it on my car, one car. If i understand this right that means i will not have to buy extra credits? The HPtuners web site makes it look like i have to use more credits the more peramiters i change.

Shawn M.

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Sunday, May 28, 2006 6:10 AM
2 credits per car. comes with 8 credits.

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Sunday, May 28, 2006 9:24 AM
ge_forcez22 wrote:2 credits per car. comes with 8 credits.

For J-bodies anyways, some other cars require 4 credits.

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?
Sunday, May 28, 2006 9:27 AM
And... it is also unlimited tuning for that particular VIN/OS

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Sunday, May 28, 2006 10:45 AM
The EVAP code is a emissions code, so it doesnt effect performance.

HPT can erase that EVAP code (gets rid of the check engine light), along with others (2nd O2)

HPT can advance your timing

HPT can increase your Rev and Speed limiters (works on certian years, still working on 'other' years)

HPT can change your fuel curve

HPT can make your car faster, if you know what your doing

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Sunday, May 28, 2006 6:29 PM
I know its abilities, i was just wondering about the credits. Thanks for the info, i am sure i will have more questions after i buy it in a few months.

Shawn M.

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 8:26 AM
HPT can't do squat for my car, and I am still waiting on them to figure a way to crack the Eco SC problem before I spend money on the system.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 2:02 PM
Ok, a couple simple questions.....
can you make it so the computer doesn't look for the egr anymore? without switching to a non-egr ecu?

also, can you make the rev limiter a faster limiter? the stock one makes it so you don't have power for a while.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 2:04 PM
Yes to both the questions.

However, you should NOT increase the rev limiter UNLESS you have supporting mods that allow the engine to rev faster. Valve float and other problems can happen if you don't have a stronger valvetrain and balanced rotating assembly.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 2:29 PM
thanks for the fast response. yeah. i wasn't looking for having a higher rev limiter, but I just wanted to be able to bounce off the limiter a couple times in the autocross.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 4:03 PM
AutoFreak57 (97redgt) wrote:thanks for the fast response. yeah. i wasn't looking for having a higher rev limiter, but I just wanted to be able to bounce off the limiter a couple times in the autocross.

I believe you should be able to get rid of the fuel cut limiter, and use a spark cut instead (much easier on the engine as it doesn't go lean at redline), and set up it's properties to suit your needs, but I don't have my cable yet and have just been browsing the software so far.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 10:05 AM
Ian Brydon wrote:
AutoFreak57 (97redgt) wrote:thanks for the fast response. yeah. i wasn't looking for having a higher rev limiter, but I just wanted to be able to bounce off the limiter a couple times in the autocross.

I believe you should be able to get rid of the fuel cut limiter, and use a spark cut instead (much easier on the engine as it doesn't go lean at redline), and set up it's properties to suit your needs, but I don't have my cable yet and have just been browsing the software so far.

Would this be a good way to kill a catalytic converter though, since you're sending out unburnt fuel when you cut the spark?

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 12:43 PM
Wild Weasel wrote:
Ian Brydon wrote:

Would this be a good way to kill a catalytic converter though, since you're sending out unburnt fuel when you cut the spark?

I have no cat, so no problems with that.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 12:46 PM
Wild Weasel wrote:
Ian Brydon wrote:

definitely possible... but I know most cars come with a faster limiter, and use it at some autocrosses, so it can't be too bad (assuming they use spark cut)

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 1:36 PM
Different engines can run at different speeds man, just because one can do 7k, doesn't mean yours can...

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 2:05 PM
I wasn't talking about revving higher.

shifted - can you do me a favor and get some jpegs of all the stock tables under "rpm limits" in "fuel cutoff, DFCO"? Also, what does the stock tune have set for max rpm for egr?

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 6:08 PM

Since I think I completely understood what you were asking from the start, I will now answer.

There are a few ways HP will help you solve your problem.

1st- It will allow you to set the cut-off rpm and also the cut-in rpm. Without even changing the cut-off point, you could raise the cut-in point, tightening the "off-on" cycle. This would make the engine hang at the rev limit more smoothly.

2nd- it has been found that on some of the J engine calibrations the RPM limiters are "ramped" in. This means that power begins to cut down well in advance of the actual limit point. this could be reduced or eliminated completely if yours is one of the group that does this.

sig not found
Thursday, June 01, 2006 8:36 PM
Also, remember a fuel cut is a fuel cut, it is NOT running lean.

The spark ramp outs some cars have calibrated are meant to reduce the torque right before the limiter, probably in an effort to reduce the intertial load shocks that arise from disabling/enabling power at 6500rpm. The fact that not all cars have this calibrated probably means it doesn't do a lot.

Newer vehicles (such as the LSJ engines) limit RPM (and vehicle speed) by closing the electronic throttle control and only use the harsher fuel cut if that fails.

I dunno but dumping fuel into the exhaust and then lighting it doesn't sound like a good thing to me...

Chris...
Thursday, June 01, 2006 8:45 PM
I am consfused with the credit thing too. They say 8 credits (2 credits for a J when used). Does this mean the thing can only be used to tune 4 times, or on 4 different cars?

My car runs like crap and is slower than $hit, really annoying to have done so much work and not have anything.

Hopefully with more research on HP tuners stuff I can figure out how to make my car fast.

http://members.cardomain.com/vertz24 1998 Z24 Convertible
Thursday, June 01, 2006 8:55 PM
4 different cars, once you license a car (or model & year), you can do unlimited tuning to it.

Friday, June 02, 2006 8:07 AM
^^Plus you can always buy more credits for $50US/each.^^

Chris P wrote:Also, remember a fuel cut is a fuel cut, it is NOT running lean.

I dunno but dumping fuel into the exhaust and then lighting it doesn't sound like a good thing to me...

Chris...

When the engine is at 6500RPM and the fuel disappears, it might not be trying to make power, but this doesn't sound like a favorable condition to me. I could be wrong, and if I am could you explain in more detail for me?

Also, I won't debate that some fuel will make it into the exhaust system, but at what point is it ignited? It will be a puff of black out the tailpipe and nothing more IMO. If someone has a cat, then they will be burning it up prematurely, but I don't have that problem.

Friday, June 02, 2006 8:28 AM
I'd like to interject something here...fuel cut rev limiters are actually the best method. They do not cause an engine to run 'lean', for the very definition of 'lean' is insufficient fuel, not non-existent fuel.

Bear in mind: what do we typically fear from a lean condition? Detonation! But detonation still requires fuel...take away the fuel altogether, and you also take away any possibility of detonation. Air alone will not detonate!

Why is the fuel cut rev limit preferred? Well, once we understand the above, we can consider what 'interrupting' the spark (the other method of rev control) does to the engine. As we take away interspersed ignition pulses, we cause a very unstable condition to a very smooth-revving engine. The cylinder fires, then it doesn't, then it does, then it doesn't...mechanical parts are being jacked around, unevenly unloaded, then instantly reloaded...unburned/partially burned fuel causes all kinds of instabilities in the cylinder, as well as intake and exhaust systems...oddball pressure waves are caused in the manifolding...backfires often occur. Use your imagination and think about what's going on in there as the spark turns on/off repeatedly. It's just wrong on so many levels, and your engine HATES it, especilly when it's at its most tender condition...maximum RPM!

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Friday, June 02, 2006 8:43 AM
Shifted wrote:4 different cars, once you license a car (or model & year), you can do unlimited tuning to it.

So in simple words, if two people go in on buying the HP tuners both can use it on two SEPERATE cars? I wish this was truem that would kick ass.

http://members.cardomain.com/vertz24 1998 Z24 Convertible
Friday, June 02, 2006 8:47 AM
Chris Fontana wrote:
Shifted wrote:4 different cars, once you license a car (or model & year), you can do unlimited tuning to it.

So in simple words, if two people go in on buying the HP tuners both can use it on two SEPERATE cars? I wish this was truem that would kick ass.

That is true.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search