Speed limiter (NOT disabling) - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Speed limiter (NOT disabling)
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 5:16 PM
My dumbass friend has an 05 cavalier with a 5-speed and wants me to disable it. i REFUSE to do so, but upon reading, noticed everyone here saying it's at 108. my question is did they have different cut off speeds depending upon the model , because he said his car cuts out at 104. i know that the 91-02 s-series saturns have different speeds based on model because those are my tuning preference.

Re: Speed limiter (NOT disabling)
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 5:26 PM
So how do you know his cuts out at 104?



Re: Speed limiter (NOT disabling)
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 5:34 PM
I believe they are all 108.



Re: Speed limiter (NOT disabling)
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 7:40 PM
Has he changed his tire size?



P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Re: Speed limiter (NOT disabling)
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 8:06 PM
HPT shows the limiter set at 104 or 106 on all the stock J files I downloaded (2000+, Cav and Fire, all engines... at least what was available)... not one shows 108...











Re: Speed limiter (NOT disabling)
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 9:06 PM
106 cutoff
104 resume

you dont disable it either, you just set it higher



12.33 @ 111.67 mph [Oct 2009]
Dyno'd on 08/02/09 - Mustang Dyno:
327.6 WHP 333.6 WTQ [10.1 AFR]
Re: Speed limiter (NOT disabling)
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 9:16 PM
or be an a$$ and set it at 37 cutoff, 35 resume









Re: Speed limiter (NOT disabling)
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 10:29 PM
Kardain wrote:

or be an a$$ and set it at 37 cutoff, 35 resume


haha that would be a funny phone call to hear..



12.33 @ 111.67 mph [Oct 2009]
Dyno'd on 08/02/09 - Mustang Dyno:
327.6 WHP 333.6 WTQ [10.1 AFR]
Re: Speed limiter (NOT disabling)
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 10:39 PM
I had seen 108 somewhere I thought, I never found out on the 96,95 & 91 because they all have the 2.2 haha...never push the Z hard either..I keep that sh*t off the street.



Re: Speed limiter (NOT disabling)
Wednesday, April 22, 2009 3:32 AM
scott spahr wrote:

My dumbass friend has an 05 cavalier with a 5-speed and wants me to disable it. i REFUSE to do so, but upon reading, noticed everyone here saying it's at 108. my question is did they have different cut off speeds depending upon the model , because he said his car cuts out at 104. i know that the 91-02 s-series saturns have different speeds based on model because those are my tuning preference.


All J-bodies from the factory have the same limit. The only reason that he's seeing it at 104 is because the speedometer is wrong. I have doubts on the speedo's accuracy at 55mph, let alone twice that speed.

Kardain wrote:

HPT shows the limiter set at 104 or 106 on all the stock J files I downloaded (2000+, Cav and Fire, all engines... at least what was available)... not one shows 108...


So that makes the top speed limit 107 and resume at 103 then? I'm not sure how it gets displayed in HPT (don't have it), but in GMPCM for the OBD-I j-bodies it would show it a different way I suppose. The computer has to see it as a mathematical equasion. In GMPCM It would show to do a fuel cut if the VSS > 106 for example. Then return fuel when VSS < 104.




www.gmscf.com
Re: Speed limiter (NOT disabling)
Wednesday, April 22, 2009 4:01 AM
Both of my cars have 108 as the limiter when i pull the file with HPT. Well one of them is 2xx but that is because i changed it. If my dad ever borrows the car it will have a 4500 rev limit and a top speed of 75.




Re: Speed limiter (NOT disabling)
Wednesday, April 22, 2009 5:13 AM
Kardain wrote:

or be an a$$ and set it at 37 cutoff, 35 resume


I have done this to someone before. Set speed limiter to 40mp, and set rev limiter to 3500. He thought his car was broke (did not know I hooked HPT at the time).

It was Great!! He had a hard time keeping up with a group of us on out way to a monthly meet.



FU Tuning



Re: Speed limiter (NOT disabling)
Wednesday, April 22, 2009 9:35 AM
John Higgins wrote:

Kardain wrote:

or be an a$$ and set it at 37 cutoff, 35 resume


I have done this to someone before. Set speed limiter to 40mp, and set rev limiter to 3500. He thought his car was broke (did not know I hooked HPT at the time).

It was Great!! He had a hard time keeping up with a group of us on out way to a monthly meet.


dick lol




Re: Speed limiter (NOT disabling)
Friday, April 24, 2009 12:07 AM
John Higgins wrote:

Kardain wrote:

or be an a$$ and set it at 37 cutoff, 35 resume


I have done this to someone before. Set speed limiter to 40mp, and set rev limiter to 3500. He thought his car was broke (did not know I hooked HPT at the time).

It was Great!! He had a hard time keeping up with a group of us on out way to a monthly meet.


That is funny as hell...but totally F'd up..lol


"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Re: Speed limiter (NOT disabling)
Friday, April 24, 2009 7:26 PM
Mine was set from the factory at 108 and when I actually approached that speed, it cut out at that speed,
With HPT and the stock tune, it's labeled as 108 on the cutoff.
It's much higher now though.


Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!





Re: Speed limiter (NOT disabling)
Saturday, April 25, 2009 1:24 PM
Mine said 108 mph when i disabled it.
Re: Speed limiter (NOT disabling)
Thursday, April 30, 2009 2:22 PM
mine said 108 but it cut off at 105...... weird


01' Z24 5 speed
422whp/400wtq
T4 Turbocharged
Built LD9
HP Tuners
Re: Speed limiter (NOT disabling)
Thursday, April 30, 2009 2:31 PM
If you really want to be an ass, set cutoff to be 35, and resume to be 40.



2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Re: Speed limiter (NOT disabling)
Thursday, April 30, 2009 8:27 PM
Cursed Cav (Luke Heier) wrote:

If you really want to be an ass, set cutoff to be 35, and resume to be 40.


Haha so what would it do in that case?Would it just coast to a stop and wait to be turned off and back on? Unless you were on a down hill it would cut fuel and just roll unpowered because it couldn't reach the 40mph resume speed right? Sorry I'm a noob to the whole tuning thing.I'm used to older carbed engines with points ignition where you don't have to worry about a computer.Also,I know with Cummins engines in semi trucks all you need is a data cable and Cummins software for a laptop and you can change the governor (speed limiter) and things of the sort.How about with a 98 jbody.Sorry not trying to thread jack just thought I'd slide that in there cause it goes with my "haha" at the beginning.Thanks guys and yes I'll search about the tuning question I asked.



<br>
98 Cav,2 door,5 speed,2.2L. I'll pull the stickers and repaint when I get around to it.Get off my nuts.Thanks and have a great day =]
Re: Speed limiter (NOT disabling)
Friday, May 01, 2009 3:46 AM
I think that might have been a typo on his part. I'm not sure how the factory PCM's will react to that, but with my MS and the rev limiter I know that if you set the cutoff rpm lower than the resume RPM it'll act really funny when you hit it.





www.gmscf.com
Re: Speed limiter (NOT disabling)
Saturday, May 02, 2009 12:16 AM
What exactly happens when you hit the limiter? Does it cut fuel? Just kill the engine? What?

Also what exactly happens when you hit the rev limiter?



Visit Fusion 9 Design for all your web design needs.


Re: Speed limiter (NOT disabling)
Saturday, May 02, 2009 12:34 AM
On the speed limit, it cuts fuel by cutting the injectors (from what I've analyzed in HPT playing with the speed limit for "shop mode"... 25mph limit, 3k rev limit). That's on the 3400 PCM, haven't dinked around all that much with the J PCM. Rev limit it will bounce at that limit. The rev limit can be exceeded though if you downshift from... Say fifth to second at a high enough speed... At that point, cross your fingers that the engine doesn't give.









Re: Speed limiter (NOT disabling)
Thursday, May 07, 2009 7:58 PM
Kardain wrote:

On the speed limit, it cuts fuel by cutting the injectors (from what I've analyzed in HPT playing with the speed limit for "shop mode"... 25mph limit, 3k rev limit). That's on the 3400 PCM, haven't dinked around all that much with the J PCM. Rev limit it will bounce at that limit. The rev limit can be exceeded though if you downshift from... Say fifth to second at a high enough speed... At that point, cross your fingers that the engine doesn't give.


So hitting the speed limiter probably isn't too good for your engine...

Also, when you say "bounce", what exactly causes it to bounce at that specific limit?



Visit Fusion 9 Design for all your web design needs.

Re: Speed limiter (NOT disabling)
Thursday, May 07, 2009 10:57 PM
Heh, my car's speed limiter from the factory is 110/101 resume.



>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Re: Speed limiter (NOT disabling)
Friday, May 08, 2009 12:48 PM
Bumper Killer (Ron Carvalho) wrote:

So hitting the speed limiter probably isn't too good for your engine...

Also, when you say "bounce", what exactly causes it to bounce at that specific limit?


I mean I know the ECU limits it, but what mechanically stops it at that limit?



Visit Fusion 9 Design for all your web design needs.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

 

Start New Topic Advanced Search