03 turboed ecotec...need help - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
03 turboed ecotec...need help
Tuesday, March 02, 2010 9:04 PM
Im in the process of helping my friend tune his 03 sunfire. I got the car to idle around 14.5 but as soon as he gets on the gas it drops to 10 or lower, his guage doesnt go lower than that. Doesnt matter how much i lean it out it still runs pig rich. Could a bad O2 sensor cause this? Also hes running 5psi, im not sure what turbo or the specs. Does anyone have a baseline tune I could use? We are still in the learning process....appearently reading isnt doing lol. Thanks ahead for any help.

Re: 03 turboed ecotec...need help
Tuesday, March 02, 2010 9:29 PM
More details.... What turbo, what injectors, what fuel pump, what fuel management... Im guessing HP Tuners, but just making sure.

Mine drops down to 10 on my AEM UEGO and then goes to 11.5. Is it holding a steady >10 afr or does it go back up as the revs increase?

"You can only feed them semen for so long before their legs fall off."

Wednesday, March 03, 2010 11:22 AM
yea it's tough to diagnose a turbo alpha-n system without all the details. what exactly is changed from stock both hardware/software.

Wednesday, March 03, 2010 9:32 PM
Wow i guess I was a bit vague, it was a long day lol. I found out the turbo specs are 42 intake and 48 exhaust. Im not sure of the make. It is intercooled with full 2.5 inch exhaust. We are using HPtuners. It has 440cc injectors and stock fuel pump. I got it to idle at 14.5 but as soon as he touched the gas the Wideband pegged at 10 and you could smell the gas. Didnt matter how much I tried to lean out the fuel maps. Turns out when he installed the turbo he removed both stock O2 sensors but never wired the wideband to the car so its running with no O2 sensor. I told him to fix that before Id tuch it again. Im guessing that is why its just dumping fuel into the engine.

Wednesday, March 03, 2010 11:12 PM
Theres a number of things that are prob causing this. First and foremost get that primary 02 sensor on the header back on and working, the car will run @!#$ty without it and will never reach closed loop. The post cat 02 really means nothing in terms of performance the only thing is it might fail you if your state has inspections. The o2 sensor alone could fix some of the issue but not all. When your saying that your trimming fuel are you referring to the VE tables? Any FMU on this car? Also a more likely source of your issue is the IPW vs vac table, stock it ranges from like .84 to 1.32 or something like that, alot of times its easier just to set to all 1s for starters and then work from there.

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Thursday, March 04, 2010 9:42 AM
Yeah as soon as he said there was no o2 I new that was messing with things and atleast part of the problem. I was talking about the VE tables. I tried to tell him to get an fmu but he doesnt want to. once he gets the o2 sensor hooked back up ill play with the IPW vs vac table. Thanks for the help.

Thursday, March 04, 2010 7:59 PM
Zs Z wrote:Yeah as soon as he said there was no o2 I new that was messing with things and atleast part of the problem. I was talking about the VE tables. I tried to tell him to get an fmu but he doesnt want to. once he gets the o2 sensor hooked back up ill play with the IPW vs vac table. Thanks for the help.
I very rarely ever touch that table.... FMU is also not needed.. Also, word of advice, ALWAYS look it over before messing with anything...

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Thursday, March 04, 2010 9:17 PM
I should have looked before I started messing with things. This whole experience is making me feel like a newb.

Thursday, March 04, 2010 9:25 PM
What is the injector constant? Are the VE tables mostly stock down low or are they changed? Your VE offset%? Does it only get into the ten's with boost? What is the 105kpa cell in the IPW table?
Thursday, March 04, 2010 9:35 PM
I have the injector constant set at .10174. The VE tables were set to stock but it was still idling at 10 so I messed with them down low until it idled at 14.5. The offset is set at the stock 20%. Once I got it to idle normally it falls flat on its face and drops to a 10 as soon as you touch the gas. The kpa only goes to 95 and the value is .898

Sunday, March 07, 2010 5:09 PM
Keep adjusting your injector constant until the car is happy with a mid 14:1 afr at idle, then go from there with your ve tables.

Friday, March 19, 2010 7:49 AM
Change your constant.Then change your idle. Your going to need to up the ve a little. Do that first. I have 12lbs stock motor with 42lb injectors. No o2 sensors. Runs 15.0 idle, 13.5 cruising, and a 11.9 WOT. There is a bog from 18 to 22 in first and second gear when just getting on it because I don't have a map sensor but you get used to it and just run 35 percent throttle untill 2200 then mash on it. I have a 9lb tune if you want it. Set up for no 02s or coolant temp sensor

running rich? turn the boost up
Friday, March 19, 2010 8:01 AM
Admiral Jedi wrote:Keep adjusting your injector constant until the car is happy with a mid 14:1 afr at idle, then go from there with your ve tables.
This is what I would recommend. Don't start changing the VE until you have the car idling right just from the constant. And also get the o2 hooked up asap. That could be causing 90% of your grief lol.

Windy City TurboZ
Friday, March 19, 2010 8:22 AM
kevin roskosky wrote:Change your constant.Then change your idle. Your going to need to up the ve a little. Do that first. I have 12lbs stock motor with 42lb injectors. No o2 sensors. Runs 15.0 idle, 13.5 cruising, and a 11.9 WOT. There is a bog from 18 to 22 in first and second gear when just getting on it because I don't have a map sensor but you get used to it and just run 35 percent throttle untill 2200 then mash on it. I have a 9lb tune if you want it. Set up for no 02s or coolant temp sensor[/quote

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
I would not do a thing this guy says. This is not the proper way of doing things at all. This guy should not be tuning anybody elses car, let alone his own.....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Friday, March 19, 2010 12:44 PM
Friday, March 19, 2010 8:47 PM
no o2 sensors? wow who the hell told you that was a good idea?

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Saturday, March 20, 2010 2:12 PM
I might have been a little vague about how I went about tuning... I'm 17 and work at fast food place while going to highschool. I'm not a 30 year old with a real job and real money to spend. This is not a racecar tune but it will in no doubt not blow my car up but be very driveable. My turbo spools the highest in 5th gear floored as you guys should know at 1850rpm when it starts. So here's what I did. I went into my tables and changed all of my values after 1800 rpm at greater than 30 percent tps so at low rpm when its floored it bogs a little but it runs a 11.5 all throughout boost and a 13 to 14 when cruising. Its not as fast but its 100 percent safe

Saturday, March 20, 2010 2:42 PM
kevin roskosky wrote:I might have been a little vague about how I went about tuning... I'm 17 and work at fast food place while going to highschool. I'm not a 30 year old with a real job and real money to spend. This is not a racecar tune but it will in no doubt not blow my car up but be very driveable. My turbo spools the highest in 5th gear floored as you guys should know at 1850rpm when it starts. So here's what I did. I went into my tables and changed all of my values after 1800 rpm at greater than 30 percent tps so at low rpm when its floored it bogs a little but it runs a 11.5 all throughout boost and a 13 to 14 when cruising. Its not as fast but its 100 percent safe

Why? Put a O2 sensor on it so the car can run normally when you are dirving normally, then it will go into PE when you get on it.

FU Tuning

Saturday, March 20, 2010 4:28 PM
kevin roskosky wrote:I'm 17 and work at fast food place while going to highschool. I'm not a 30 year old with a real job and real money to spend.
What the hell does age and income have to do with it!?!? Its a matter of doing things the correct and proper way.

kevin roskosky wrote:Its not as fast but its 100 percent safe
Keep telling yourself that.

I still stand by my previous statement... Do NOT listen to this guy kiddies....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Saturday, March 20, 2010 9:24 PM
it has EVERYTHING to do with income?? are you @!#$ting me? was this even a serious question, i wouldnt know how to tune it myself that in depth so it would cost 550 to have someone tune it after i bought a 3 bar map.

and you guys say why not do this or that and its because i dont know how to and when i ask other than a few people on this site all ignorant asses have to say something to make me look stupid instead of just saying something to help

Saturday, March 20, 2010 9:34 PM
kevin roskosky wrote:it has EVERYTHING to do with income?? are you @!#$ting me? was this even a serious question, i wouldnt know how to tune it myself that in depth so it would cost 550 to have someone tune it after i bought a 3 bar map.

and you guys say why not do this or that and its because i dont know how to and when i ask other than a few people on this site all ignorant asses have to say something to make me look stupid instead of just saying something to help
Your response proves that this has nothing to do with income.. Its based soley on KNOWLEDGE! No 3bar needed, and if you did a little research and asked the right questions instead of trying to be a know-it-all dumb@ass, you would see that you are making yourself look stupid.... Get in da Tub Newbie!

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Saturday, March 20, 2010 9:38 PM
and how many of you guys busted my ass in earlier posts of my turbo setup and everything bbecause its not name brand? it does have ALOT to do with money, that is not even a question and i know damn well there is alot of guys reading this and agreeing with me, well maybe not because apparently everybody on here has enough money to do everything the right way, which apparently is the only way to you guys, and do you not see my questions i post? probly not cause you probly only look for guys you can rip on

Saturday, March 20, 2010 9:49 PM
kevin roskosky wrote:apparently everybody on here has enough money to do everything the right way, which apparently is the only way to you guys,

well actually yes, it is the only way... if you want it to last...

Saturday, March 20, 2010 9:49 PM
kevin roskosky wrote:and how many of you guys busted my ass in earlier posts of my turbo setup and everything bbecause its not name brand? it does have ALOT to do with money, that is not even a question and i know damn well there is alot of guys reading this and agreeing with me, well maybe not because apparently everybody on here has enough money to do everything the right way, which apparently is the only way to you guys, and do you not see my questions i post? probly not cause you probly only look for guys you can rip on
OK.... First off, I am totally sh!tfaced right now... Just got back from Tilted Kilt. I havre been drinking top shelf Long Islands and Johnny Walker all night... My filter is OFF.. I am honestly not sure what posts you have made and what they are regarding.. More than likely I have read them and chose not to waste my remaining posts or bandwidth replying to something not worthy of a reply... If I am coming across as an @ss, so be it.. Too many people that don't do sh!t right the first time and then you get the "why is my sh!t broke" threads... Learn from the people that have been there and done that..... If you don't have the money to do it right, don't do it. You will end up spending 2-3 times the amount bandaiding sh!t and then finally figure it out.....

BTW, I love spell check.... It makes me not appear to be totally wasted... HOMELESS People FTMFW!

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Saturday, March 20, 2010 9:54 PM
i have to point out he did say he wasnt expecting this turbo to last, just somthing to start with while he saves for a name brand. and even thought I dont agree with his lack of sensors the car does have good a/f ratios according to the wideband and no knock according to hp tuners. hes not tuning for the most power, just to not blow his engine up and see what he can do with that.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search