How is a newbie to learn? - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How is a newbie to learn?
Tuesday, March 23, 2010 5:52 PM
Alright so I know pretty much nothing about tuning (with hptuners). I understand what CAN be done (some of it at least), but for the most part have no idea how it is done. What is the best way to learn the basics (in your opinion at least)? I've been on the hptuners website, but the I couldn't really find what I was looking for (maybe I didn't look hard enough).

I know theres allot that goes into properly tuning a car, so I don't expect anyone to try to teach me over the internet, thats why I just want someone to point me to some good information that I can read (a book would be AMAZING, but I'm sure this isn't a very popular subject). I've read the sticky here, but it pretty much just says do this and this and I hate just learning things by just memorizing instructions, I want to understand what I am doing and how it will affect the car.

How did the more knowledgeable of you here learn these things? I'm not trying to become a pro within a month, I know it takes time, I just want to be confident that I understand what I am doing before I screw around with my car.

Help support the JBO! CLICK HERE!

Re: How is a newbie to learn?
Tuesday, March 23, 2010 10:09 PM
I have yet to find a tuning book that could tell me much more than I already knew. Most books seem to be too top-level, not telling much of how to tune for different engine types or different loads. I'm a megasquirt guy, so I have learned far more from the FAQs and manuals at msefi.com than any book. The theory there is pretty much universal, so you could certainly apply it to any software tuned EFI system. I'm sure HPTuners must have a similar section to help out beginner tuners as well. I should mention, though, that the best theory is no replacement for reality. There is no replacement for tuning with a dyno.

If you don't understand even the basics of tuning, then you should first consider reading up on...,
- VE (Volumetric Efficiency)
- Spark Advance
- Typical AFR (Air/Fuel Ratio) for different loads
- Detonation or Spark Knock

Those are probably the most important for the beginner tuner to understand. If you don't have a good grasp on these, then you have no business messing with your PCM.

I have no signiture
Wednesday, March 24, 2010 6:46 AM
Whalesac wrote: If you don't understand even the basics of tuning, then you should first consider reading up on...,
- VE (Volumetric Efficiency)
- Spark Advance
- Typical AFR (Air/Fuel Ratio) for different loads
- Detonation or Spark Knock

Those are probably the most important for the beginner tuner to understand. If you don't have a good grasp on these, then you have no business messing with your PCM.
QFT!

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 1:39 PM
There use to be a website called 4cylindertuner.com but it no longer exists. Their was some basic info on there to get you started. What are you looking to do with your car? For starters do you have hptuners? That's the first step is acquiring it. If you want to do any real tuning spend the extra dough and buy the MPVI Pro Interface. Then you can wire your own devices (P.I.D.'s) such as Wideband 02 right into the Hptuners Module. By just browsing through the program you will see basic things that you can figure out on your own i.e. Target Idle Speed, Fan Settings, Injector Constant and such. If you want to get into changing your fueling properly and safely , buy a wideband. I'm here to help. I'm not a rocket scientist with this stuff but am learning as I go .

Here's the key to this website and gaining info in the tuning thread
1. Don't be a know it all.
2. Read through old topics chances are what you need to know has already been discussed several times.
3. Be careful and don't assume what you heard is correct . There is a lot of false info on here. Unless your sure it's from a good source .
4. Send emails to people you see who know what they are talking about. Tell them what you wanna do and that your willing to learn , not just have them do it for you.
5. Stay positive. As you said . It will not come easy nor will it come overnight. Persistence and willingness to learn are key.

Windy City TurboZ
Wednesday, March 24, 2010 6:26 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'm glad I didn't simple get a "use the search button" reply. I'll definetely look into msefi.com like you suggested whalesac. I do have a general understanding of some of the things you listed, but I'll be sure to read up on all of them anyway.

Dragracemyz24, I do currently own Hptuners pro version (no wideband yet, but I'll have one sometime in the summer). I got it because I am currently in the middle of a 3400 swap and know I will need it to get the pcm to work properly once its paired up with a manual transmission. I've already had this explained to me. I was told that basically the computer is going to freak out about the auto trans not being there and I'll have to disable all the codes its throwing, but once I do that it should work. It's probably a little more complicated than that but I should be able to figure that part out. As for what I plan on doing with the car, I am undecided at the moment, but once I get it running it will not be stock for more than a few weeks. I figured since I have hptuners anyway, I want to learn how to use it well enough to be able to squeeze every hp out of that engine. I try to read through old threads on here and on hptuners.com, but they are mostly very specific questions that only allow me to learn one small thing (often I don't even know what the point of that is). Thats why I am just looking for alot of general information to get me started.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 7:30 PM
^^^ Are you saying that you are going to try to use a 3rd gen J-body PCM to control a 3400 engine? If so, I'm thinking you will have bigger issues than the transmission to deal with.

I have no signiture
Wednesday, March 24, 2010 7:34 PM
Nevermind... Ignore my last post. I assume you will be using an N-body PCM, for which the 3400 was mated to an auto trans.

I have no signiture
Wednesday, March 24, 2010 9:21 PM
Whalesac wrote:Nevermind... Ignore my last post. I assume you will be using an N-body PCM, for which the 3400 was mated to an auto trans.

That is correct

Thursday, March 25, 2010 5:29 AM
If you have the program already, load up your VCM Editor , go to the tune repository on hptuners website and load one of the pcm scans from the repository. Dont Lisence it, just use it as a reference for now, and go through all the different parameter's. Tell me which one's you are wondering about. Make a list and post it on here and I will explain to you what that does and how to change it.

If your just looking for basic info on what is what look here hptuners help / how to and read the whole thing. It will tell you how to navigate around the program and how to work with the editor and scanner software. That's about as general as it can get. All the General info you need is in the help section.

QWK LN2 (aka ImPhat0260) Thanks for all the help. I couldn't have gotten where I'm at without your help.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search