help! backfiring at 3800rpm? - Page 2 - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: help! backfiring at 3800rpm?
Monday, April 05, 2010 12:56 PM
He said it himself....

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R

Monday, April 05, 2010 1:02 PM
Wow.. You really went on facebook, looked me up, and looked at my status from over 4 months ago?!?

running rich? turn the boost up
Monday, April 05, 2010 1:29 PM
Yup, and the best thing about it, I got paid to do it! What can I say, I was bored at work.

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Monday, April 05, 2010 8:35 PM
Was I guess if you were getting paid that's all that really matters.. Good work!

Monday, April 05, 2010 1:52 PM
kevin roskosky wrote:Just because you don't know what could cause it cody star, you don't have to be a smartass and just try to be on qwk ln2's side because he knows more than anyone of us
Not "anyone" or "everyone", but for sure more than you.. Face it, I have forgot more than you will ever learn. You seriously just don't get it do you?

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Monday, April 05, 2010 1:59 PM
I'm not sure if you have a disability or something but us includes myself so yes I have gotten it when I send you know me than me.

Monday, April 05, 2010 3:45 PM
to the op.....your are a tool.. Show the org some respect, post some info when people ask you, and stop acting like the org owes you an answer. knowing that you have a 42 trim turbo and a wastegate wont help anyone help you...for all we know it could be on a car that has a 6.7 litre, and your problem could be that the turbo is too small and ur and idiot. now stop acting like this is qwk ln2's fault, admit that you coulda gone about things a different way, and maybe people will help you.

Monday, April 05, 2010 4:24 PM
Yes, I do realize there is a lot of things I could have done differently to avoid all this and should have

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 2:52 AM
kevin roskosky wrote:Yes, I do realize there is a lot of things I could have done differently to avoid all this and should have
See, this is kinda like an AA meeting... Step one is admitting you have a problem. Step two is to fill out your profile/registry to the best of your abilities, and to make it as accurate as possible. More steps to follow, but we will start here.

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Monday, April 05, 2010 8:49 PM
alright captian, im ready for step three

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 6:22 AM
Congratulations Retards! Another famous post on the j-body forms from retarded people, people willing to put in there O'2cents, and the people with actual knowledge that wonder why they get on this forum and deal with these retarded people.

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 12:13 PM
Alright my car moved from backfiring to now misfiring all throughout the rpm range. I smell fuel through the exhaust so that would make me think the plugs aren't firing but i just put in new spark plugs and still have the same exact problem so I check for spark and have spark on all 4 cylinders. The motor sounds fine you can just hear the misfire out of the exhaust and its extremely laggy to where its undriveable

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 12:16 PM
And it is a 2003 pontiac sunfire with the l4 2.2 ecotec with a 42trim turbo, tial wastegate, and 42lbs injectors

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 7:34 PM
kevin roskosky wrote:Alright my car moved from backfiring to now misfiring all throughout the rpm range. I smell fuel through the exhaust so that would make me think the plugs aren't firing but i just put in new spark plugs and still have the same exact problem so I check for spark and have spark on all 4 cylinders. The motor sounds fine you can just hear the misfire out of the exhaust and its extremely laggy to where its undriveable
Sounds like the tune is off. Have you reinstalled your primary O2 sensor yet? Have you retuned since you installed the wastegate? What is your AFR, TPS, and timing at when this happens?

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 12:51 PM
I have a appointment friday to have a exhaust bung welded on there and then it will be hooked up. It is around 15 afr and any tps, rpm, timing it does it. I understand I need my 02 for correct tuning but I was running for a month without it so I don't think that would cause it, I disconnected the battery just incase the computer "learned" something that was throwing it off. I did not retune for the wastegate though. How would that affect it though? I'm not sure, thanks.

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 1:26 PM
kevin roskosky wrote:I have a appointment friday to have a exhaust bung welded on there and then it will be hooked up. It is around 15 afr and any tps, rpm, timing it does it. I understand I need my 02 for correct tuning but I was running for a month without it so I don't think that would cause it, I disconnected the battery just incase the computer "learned" something that was throwing it off. I did not retune for the wastegate though. How would that affect it though? I'm not sure, thanks.
Due to your PCM being Alpha N(Fueling based off of TPS), almost any change in boost pressure will affect the tune. Your new wastegate is more than likely opening/closing at a different load and RPM than your old one. That being said, since your fuel maps are based off the TPS and not the MAP, the computer does not know the difference between the old and new. Make sence?

If I were you, I would baby it until you get the O2 reinstalled, and then retune accordingly.

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 1:44 PM
Alright I understand. But would that affect the misfiring at idle and all throughout the rpm between boosting and non boosting. Before it was only 3800rpm. Then it was only under full boost. Now its 24/7

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 1:52 PM
kevin roskosky wrote:Alright I understand. But would that affect the misfiring at idle and all throughout the rpm between boosting and non boosting. Before it was only 3800rpm. Then it was only under full boost. Now its 24/7
Well, with the tune being so far out of whack its hard to say. I would almost need to see a log it while it is doing it (would need ECT,IAT,TPS,WB o2,timing,knock, and the misfire all being datalogged). You said the plugs are new, what are they gapped to? Have you done a compression and leak down test? Also, how did you test and verify that you are getting spark on all 4 cyls?

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 2:18 PM
Gapped to .30. They are srt4 double platinum plugs. I verified spark by doing the good old screwdriver test(sticking it in there and watching the arc between the valve cover, I saw and heard it). I have not done a compression check yet, I plan on doing that tomorrow

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 7:03 AM
Alright I compression checked it and for the first 3 strokes they all moved about the same but when continued to crank the number 3 piston had only 195 compression while the other had around 230. That wouldn't cause such a severe misfire though would it. My buddy pulled the plugs and one plug was completely clean while the others where covered with a layer of black. I wish I knew which cylinder it was pulled out of though

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 7:35 AM
Alright. Its fixed! The #4 injector wasn't firing

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 7:56 AM
kevin roskosky wrote:Alright. Its fixed! The #4 injector wasn't firing
unplugged?

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 8:08 AM
Yes. I got the really sh!tty bosch injectors that are suppose to plug to my car. Needless to say they did not so after grinding a little bit I got the clips to fit and I guess with my stock beat motor mounts moving back and forth it unplugged it. And you will be happy to know that I'm dropping my exhaust to have a bung put in tomorrow! How far should I put the 02 from the turbo

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 10:03 AM
12-18 inches should be good....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 11:27 AM
Alright. Thank you. And after I have the 02 hooked up I used the PE to tune it correct?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search