questions about "tuning" - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
questions about "tuning"
Tuesday, April 20, 2010 5:39 PM
i have a 2001 cavy with cai intake header full 2.25 inch exhaust as performance mods to the car. i was wondering what a tune does and what hp tuners is and if it would help me to get my car tuned or whatever. also i have no cat and neither o2 sensors are hooked up and my check engine light is on. would tuning my car help this? also how much would it cost?]
thanks

Re: questions about "tuning"
Tuesday, April 20, 2010 6:18 PM
Travis Riess wrote:i have a 2001 cavy with cai intake header full 2.25 inch exhaust as performance mods to the car. i was wondering what a tune does and what hp tuners is and if it would help me to get my car tuned or whatever. also i have no cat and neither o2 sensors are hooked up and my check engine light is on. would tuning my car help this? also how much would it cost?]
thanks

If you don't have EITHER of your O2 sensors hooked up that is a big problem. You don't have to have the one after where the cat would be (because all it does is tell the computer if the cat is working properly), but the one before the cat is very important. It makes corrections to your air fuel ratio, and without it your engine will not run poorly. If you leave the front or back O2 sensor unplugged, you will have the check engine light as you mentioned. You can also have the light turned off when you get it tuned.

Unless you have a serious build, you will not gain much from a tune in the power department. A good tune starts at about 600 and goes up to 1200ish. Or you can buy HP Tuners used for 300-450 bucks and tune it yourself. However, you will have to learn how to tune. Some people like learning how to tune, and others don't. I would recommend reading all of the HP Tuners help guide (http://www.hptuners.com/help/) to get your feet wet and decide if tuning is for you or not. Keep in mind this is literally only the tip of the iceberg and there is much more to learn.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search