want to buy a megasquirt but unsure, look inside! - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
want to buy a megasquirt but unsure, look inside!
Sunday, December 18, 2005 7:52 PM
OK heres the deal its a known fact that among other things the 3rd gen J world is plagued with a lack of fuel options. youve basicly have 4 options

1. play with the pressure behind the injectors with an fmu and and afpr. pboblay the most efficent and used method to date.

2. use an safc that adjustes injector flow. the only problem is theres no boost sensetivity so its really only good for a dedicated drag car a SC or NA

3. port fueler. never worrie about tuning again bascily you can turn your boost up as high as your engine can go. only problem is its as much as an average collage fund.

4. stand alone. cheap incrediable tune, plenty of goodies to play with other than fuel and if you go with MS its damn cheap.

so you ask your self great this asshat just wasted 5 minutes of my life how does this affect me and how does it pertain to topic. well like all you other jbo owners I face this problem Ive spent some time looking for a decent fuel solution and Im almost positve I have found it. que music enter MegaSquirt now I have talked to Excidum and a rep from DIY autotune about it and the more I hear the more I got excited.
Its quite obvius why more people arent useing this meathod. people are scared about getting it to work hell im stilled scared. but fear not the day of reckoning commith.

I am an average person with basic electirc knowladge and am preety mechanicly inclined. I finnaly forked over some money for my megasuirt and I am going to install it my self with nothing more than help from the org and help from the rep. I have know special knlodage no special work area and a hella small budget. I am going to document my entire install mistakes and all with pictures and mabye video. when its all said and done I plan to put a sticky togeher.

I think a sticky of a dumb amature such as my self doing this succsefully would be much more benifical then if someone who has done this and makes it look easy. how many people havent gotten the MS soley becasue there scared to install and maintain?
so heres where I start with your help Im going to install my megasquirt and finnaly prove to people that this really is a logical solution and not the mythical stand alone that people make it out to be. oh and Im giong to make this post as noob freindly as I can)

all right for starters I have to get a few things out of the way. sitting in my room I bought a MS V1.1 I had them installed msns for free (this is the brain MSNS is just and extra arm if you will) this cost me 220$. then I bought a 12' wiring cable 65$. finnaly I picked up a usb to serial becuse my lap top didnt have a serial ( a link form laptop to comp)

now I had megatune (lets you talk to the MS(no adam not literly)) but I got rid of it becuase I want the most up dated one. does any one have a link to a download site for me mind you all of this info I hope to put in a sticky. with a step by step.

and can some one pm me there constats and enricments preferably someone with an eco at 10lbs. ( enricments are speical fuel changes for startup and cold weather) constanst.

Like I said before when everything is said and done I plan on haveing a full right up from start to finsh on what to buy where to buy what to use how to install and maintain everything except doing it for you. which at this point Im not sure you would want any way

"boobs now with Riboflabin"

Re: want to buy a megasquirt but unsure, look insi
Sunday, December 18, 2005 8:20 PM
sounds like it should be a good write up!

Thanx Charles
Sunday, December 18, 2005 9:49 PM
v1.1?

i thought ms was ms1 v2.2 or ms1 v3.0
Sunday, December 18, 2005 10:00 PM
I am going to soon install version 2.0 on my sunbird. Awesome choice.

Cardomain|Myspace

Monday, December 19, 2005 1:33 AM
Good deal keep us informed....
Hopefully we will be able to apply your techniques to all engines.

Meantime:
Quote:

I am an average person with basic electirc knowladge and am preety mechanicly inclined. I finnaly forked over some money for my megasuirt and I am going to install it my self with nothing more than help from the org and help from the rep. I have know special knlodage

Did they ever script in the spell checker for this site?
Somone should look into that.
-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Monday, December 19, 2005 4:14 AM
sorry ms1 v 2.2. does anyone know the awnser to my q's

Monday, December 19, 2005 6:31 AM
From http://www.msefi.com, scroll down a few posts..

http://msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=12443

I wouldn't worry too much about all the different versions of megatune and such, as it gets very confusing quickly. Pretty much pick one of the versions that supports the features you want and is stable and GO WITH IT until a time comes when you can actually worry about "being up to date", which isn't something very special in this case unless a newer version offers a feature you desperately want. Remember, updating megatune versions is slightly time consuming, so just stick with one for now and worry about the install.

Monday, December 19, 2005 2:22 PM
yeah I am not to worried considering I have an older mega squirt but My last mega tune was a beta version so I didnt want to mess around. also can I tee off my sensor wires or do I have to compleatly disconnect the old wire. I mean its not like it will be able to mess with my fuel since the injectors are unhooked

Monday, December 19, 2005 2:27 PM
JCavi, Good for you! More people need to get off their rear ends and do something. You may find this is a very challenging project, but I'm sure you'll be rewarded when you've got it all set up.

MINION wrote:
Quote:

I am going to soon install version 2.0 on my sunbird. Awesome choice.

Sorry for the OT, but why??? Factory ECM does more than MS.

-->Slow
Monday, December 19, 2005 2:54 PM
damn your posts are funny man . I'm looking forward to you sharing your experiences with teh all-mighty MS because come summer I'll be getting one for my own boost project. Just do us all a favor: out of pity for my fellow JBOers wanting to learn about teh MS, I am offering my grammar and syntax skills to this forecoming sticky (you send it I correct it, I'll keep the humor lol), because the way you got it goin' it seems like they will all give up after the first two lines

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
Monday, December 19, 2005 3:19 PM
I have the MS v3 with MSnS and a 3bar Map sensor. Then I bought the relay board just to be on the safe side. When I hook it all up I might just use seperate sensors to use for the MS than keep the stock sensors for my automatic tranny. I am also going to invest in a wideband O2 to keep accurate A/F ratios.

Monday, December 19, 2005 5:37 PM
Thats what I plan on doing. I plan on using the stock engine sensors(I have a 5 speed-lucky) and just clip, saulder, plug away. I might even use a trigger wheel; still unsure about it. I still have to find out how many teeth I need and the spacing between the teeth. Not to sure, its up in the air.

Time to get it going again.....
Monday, December 19, 2005 7:18 PM
DanteMustDie wrote:damn your posts are funny man . I'm looking forward to you sharing your experiences with teh all-mighty MS because come summer I'll be getting one for my own boost project. Just do us all a favor: out of pity for my fellow JBOers wanting to learn about teh MS, I am offering my grammar and syntax skills to this forecoming sticky (you send it I correct it, I'll keep the humor lol), because the way you got it goin' it seems like they will all give up after the first two lines

ok ok I know that my word vomit sucks. you win ill send you the final draft and let you make me look super smart. but I spell check should get it I just figured that this was the info draft so know help was needed

greenecotec2004 wrote:I have the MS v3 with MSnS and a 3bar Map sensor. Then I bought the relay board just to be on the safe side. When I hook it all up I might just use seperate sensors to use for the MS than keep the stock sensors for my automatic tranny. I am also going to invest in a wideband O2 to keep accurate A/F ratios.

yeah thats why Im wondering if I can just tee off the origanl sensor so I can let my tranny stay super smart while using the MS.

Also Im still looking for someone with an eco preferably around 10 lbs to compare numbers with please post pm aim call me something just get the hell a hold of me

And Im really glad this is getting a positve response people have no idea what this could mean for us. think hondat for the honda but cheaper and with more options. also if any one has any questions what so ever please ask here or where ever Ive been on this site to long to be selfish with knowldge.

Monday, December 19, 2005 7:25 PM
ya i have an 04 ion that im turboing the week of feb 20th (vacation from classes)

i'll be using ms1 v2.2 with MSnS-E

hope we can start a revolution
Monday, December 19, 2005 9:45 PM
in regards to Megasquirt, an AWESOME place to buy an assembled MS 2 kit is from http://www.diyautotune.com

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Tuesday, December 20, 2005 8:11 AM
You guys are too funny.

As for the stock sensor thing. I know its been discussed about 10 times but you guys seem to keep forgetting. The only way to guarantee precise accuracy with the sensors (from cold start to full warmup operation) is to install additional IAT/ECT sensors. The rest you can safely tee off of. (TPS, O2, etc)

You don't HAVE to do this, but there are considerations to make. Such as what value resistors need to be replaced to obtain accuracy when the car is warmed up, etc. It's far easier to install addtional sensors and leave the stock ones be.

My methodology was from the beginning to keep as much of the stock system operating as possible. This lowers complexity of the system (while letting the highly designed GM pcm control as much as possible), and makes it far easier to switch between systems should the need arise. And if you have electronic OBD2 inspections, it will.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 9:03 AM
ok just curious it seems like this would mainly be benefitial for a boosted application, so im wondering would this help for an N/A application as well?

The one, the only, ME.
Tuesday, December 20, 2005 2:08 PM
04eco wrote:ok just curious it seems like this would mainly be benefitial for a boosted application, so im wondering would this help for an N/A application as well?

yes it would im glad you asked this. for starters the stock ecm runs on a preety linitate tune. you could lean it out a bit to gain a few ponies. also if you work with the ignition side theres plenty of prosepcts with timing and sprak, also more HP. finnaly for tuner that decieds to get serous this ecu is the end all be all. any cam you want any any head you want pistons compression anything all workable with no problem. no more GM training wheels.

excidium

thats why im trying to run it off of the stock Iat and ect less things going on less to worry about. but I understand your reasoning. can you please send me an indepth write up of why these two sensors are important for the sticky. thanks.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 4:44 PM
NICE thanks alot
thats my plan to is go with a worked over head 11:1 already have cams you name it guess ill add this to my future mods list though i may need to be able to change the shift points at some time also

The one, the only, ME.
Tuesday, December 20, 2005 5:19 PM
well if you want to start learning about it go talk to the rep at DIY auto tune. his moto is that you spend less money on a Mega squirt and he teaches you for free how to use it. instead of spending alot of money that does it all I would post the converstations we had if they werent so damn long. also tell him that jason sent you I promsied him that for all the help he has given I was going to do something in return.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 4:36 AM
Jcavi wrote:
04eco wrote:ok just curious it seems like this would mainly be benefitial for a boosted application, so im wondering would this help for an N/A application as well?

yes it would im glad you asked this. for starters the stock ecm runs on a preety linitate tune. you could lean it out a bit to gain a few ponies.

I wonder about that. For ecos, the A/F ratio that the stock ecu imposes is 14.7. How lean can you actually be before it's dangerous to your engine ? It seems to me like it's already pretty much leaned out ?

15.574 @ 89 mph stock

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 6:44 AM
DanteMustDie wrote:
Jcavi wrote:

yes it would im glad you asked this. for starters the stock ecm runs on a preety linitate tune. you could lean it out a bit to gain a few ponies.

I wonder about that. For ecos, the A/F ratio that the stock ecu imposes is 14.7. How lean can you actually be before it's dangerous to your engine ? It seems to me like it's already pretty much leaned out ?

well it depends on the load,

For turbo's
At WOT you want to be ~13.3

at cruise you could be at 15:1

For N/a

for WOT i really don't know so i cant' say

for cruise the same thing 15:1 because when your crusing you're not making boost

so it's really different on the amount of load on the engine and if the engine is boosted or n/a
Wednesday, December 21, 2005 6:46 AM
^^^yeah I forgot to mention that I was doubting the utility of leaning it out more when N/A, not when boosting.

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
Wednesday, December 21, 2005 1:40 PM
to be perfectly honest with you Id leave it at 14.7 its just not worth it to me. There are plenty of other ways to generate power with the MS other then leaning it out. but if you wanted you could probably get away with a 15:1 all the way acroos the board. the general conseses is that leaner usaually makes more power but IDK.

I still need someone to compare notes with isnt there any one out there who will go over or at least send me there imputs.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 5:27 PM
BAD ASS. So what exactly do you need to start? Would the complete built kits they have be the best thing to get? Whats up with the relay thing they have didnt understand that? From what I got you just tap into the sensors with that harness they give you and plug it into the "Box" and start tuning? Seems easy, or am i missing something.

Kyle

2002 B4C Camaro Black
2002 LS Sport Cavi Silver
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search