97 computer 96 cavalier - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
97 computer 96 cavalier
Tuesday, May 25, 2010 8:58 PM
Could not really find a direct answer here for this question. We took a 97 computer to put into a 96 car. The car ran fine with a 96 computer and harness and when we switched the harness and computer to 97 for tuning it now will not run. It has new fuel, plugs, and the crank position sensor changed to match the new harness. It has no spark and it seems to me like the fuel injectors are not firing (pulled the plugs out and they are not wet at all). For this swap does it require the cluster from the 97 car as well? It also seemed that on the 96 it had two knock sensors. One I know is for sure the knock sensor the other I'm just assuming it is because it looks real close to the same inside and out. The theft lock is already disabled so I know that's not the problem. I was more looking for other things to check to get the car running. It does turn over and all and also the coils are new but still no spark or injectors.

thanks alot.

Re: 97 computer 96 cavalier
Wednesday, May 26, 2010 3:28 AM
If it's a 2.2L engine you need the ICM from the 97 as well. They are different between 96 and 97 and are not interchangeable.

Other than that, since you didn't post much about the car, it's kinda hard to help.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Wednesday, May 26, 2010 5:10 AM
it is the 2.2 ohv engine. I thought about posting that after this post but was already in bed and to lazy to come back and do it. If that is the case does it need to come from the same car or is any 97 fine? Also icm meaning ignition control module right? Is that the part that coil packs hook to? They are all plugged and all so I'm guessing it's the computer that can't read the signal from them?

Thanks Alot I appreciate it.

As far as info about the car I'll see if I can sum it up all really easy.

96 cavalier 2.2 ohv manual
97 computer
97 crank position sensor
97 wiring harness
96 everything else.

Not really any mods or at least no good ones worth mentioning.
Wednesday, May 26, 2010 10:16 AM
Ok the icm will be here today. Being that it's still the 96 cluster won't give any problems will it?
Thursday, May 27, 2010 2:56 AM
Yes the ICM is the part under the coil packs.

The 96's cluster might give you grief with the 97 computer. But you'll know cuz the engine will start, then die right away. But theres a workaround for that posted all over the place.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Thursday, May 27, 2010 4:50 AM
It may have been the words I was using to search then because of the fact that I thought that would be the only problem and I couldn't find what I was looking for for it is what started this. Thanks though I'm planning on trying it tonight. If anyone has a link that would help but I'll also try using some different words to search with.
Thursday, May 27, 2010 4:53 AM
Or if you're talking about the work around for anti theft system I got that and will try it.
Friday, August 06, 2010 8:05 AM
Ok, so did it work?

1996 Sunfire, 2.2L, 18" Equus/General Exclaim UHP
Alpine CDE-9845
Friday, August 06, 2010 2:51 PM
He's been in contact with me since this thread. Yes it did work once he changed the ICM. The cluster is the same between '96 & '97. You do have to complete the Passlock anti-theft work around for it to run.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, August 06, 2010 2:53 PM

Saturday, August 07, 2010 8:33 PM
Right. It worked fine after you do the ani-theft relearn. I did have to change another sensor also though. If I remember right I had to change the oil pressure sensor and the crank sensor because the plugs on the harnesses are different.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search