Custom 4T40E Trans Controller - Page 3 - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Custom 4T40E Trans Controller
Monday, January 10, 2011 1:05 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:Finished yet. lol

I would have been, but my cheap RadioShack soldering iron won't cut it anymore. I decided to invest in a more serious machine so that TQFP soldering can be realized. I suspect it should be here by the end of the week. For reference, this is what I ordered. I really can't afford a professional Weller machine, but hopefully this will be good enough and last plenty long...we'll see.

I have no signiture

Monday, January 10, 2011 1:20 PM
That should work just fine. Honestly, I'm not great at soldering.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, January 11, 2011 7:55 PM
Awesome looking soldering iron. Makes my new butane one look worthless. Haha.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 9:02 PM
I am running HPTuners and want a 6 speed auto not only for increased power handling instead of my 4T45E, but also for fuel economy, autox, and pure fun of my DD without going to a manual. Its stop and go, and nothing but nasty snow/ice/rain for months here in MI.

I can send you screen shots of my HPTPro trans tables on my 07 Ion.

BLOWN2POINT4 Ion Quad Coupe Autotragic
Powered By Harrop TVS Made By Tupperware
TVS, LS4 TB, 80's, OTTP Port&Polish I/M DualPass, OTTP H/E, Pacesetter Header, Full 3" Exhaust
Wednesday, January 12, 2011 4:14 AM
Rob, can you email me a copy of the trans tune, or just your HPTuners file please.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Thursday, January 13, 2011 6:28 AM
Done

The circuit without the heatsink

Circuit with the heatsink

...and a look at things to come.

This is just showing the physical size comparison of the 44-pin tqfp PIC24 to the 28-pin DIP PIC16. The 44-pin tqfp is significantly smaller and doesn't require through holes, which will allow for a nicer routing of the signals along with a much more powerful chip.

All that's left for now is to solder up the transmission plug, the vr sensors, and find the transmission selector wiring. Then, I can test it....almost there

I have no signiture
Thursday, January 13, 2011 6:40 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Thursday, January 13, 2011 10:32 PM
this is too cool... I want one...

you sir have great talent!

had a blown ecotec swapped 2000 cavy, now just an 02 Grand Am, and a 74 BMW 2002...
Friday, January 14, 2011 6:28 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Thursday, January 20, 2011 2:59 PM
updates?

had a blown ecotec swapped 2000 cavy, now just an 02 Grand Am, and a 74 BMW 2002...
Saturday, January 22, 2011 2:59 PM
I labeled the harness wires...that's about it. I've been pretty sick and lazy this past week.

I have no signiture

Sunday, January 23, 2011 5:46 PM
SO... estimated cost?

If it takes forever.... I will die trying. Underdog Racing
Monday, January 24, 2011 2:32 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:

What's your email? So I can send you the HPT file..

Or if you look for a 2007 Saturn Ion, my stock or tune with 80lbs should be there...

I have email replies as I'd like a 6 speed Auto! The G6 GT and GTP and Malibu 2.4L use the 6T40 and 6T45 same bellhousing as my 4T45E. B&M slap shift mated to the 6 speed = fun DD/autocross Ion

BLOWN2POINT4 Ion Quad Coupe Autotragic
Powered By Harrop TVS Made By Tupperware
TVS, LS4 TB, 80's, OTTP Port&Polish I/M DualPass, OTTP H/E, Pacesetter Header, Full 3" Exhaust
Monday, January 24, 2011 4:05 PM
z yaaaa wrote:SO... estimated cost?

eleventy billion dollars...

...seriously, though, sub- $100 without the wiring harness.

Rob Weis (RobsCavZ24) wrote:
-MD- Enforcer wrote:

What's your email? So I can send you the HPT file..

Or if you look for a 2007 Saturn Ion, my stock or tune with 80lbs should be there...

I have email replies as I'd like a 6 speed Auto! The G6 GT and GTP and Malibu 2.4L use the 6T40 and 6T45 same bellhousing as my 4T45E. B&M slap shift mated to the 6 speed = fun DD/autocross Ion

5-9 speed autos require at least one more shift solenoid. Since I'm redesigning the board anyways, I can incorporate another shift solenoid driver if you'd like. Also, because I want to do a GUI, I can make the shift sequence user defined for those wanting to use it on another GM trans. I can probably make it work, but the biggest obstacle will probably be setting the TCC and EPC frequencies for a given trans. We'll see.

I have no signiture
Tuesday, January 25, 2011 10:30 AM
forgive my ignorance but is this just something where we just leave the stock plug un-done and plug ur unit in and go??

If it takes forever.... I will die trying. Underdog Racing
Tuesday, January 25, 2011 4:52 PM
I don't know where to source the connectors, but yes. The 20-pin connector on the front of the trans is completely replaced. You also need to splice into the "Transmission Range" switch on top of the trans, as well as the VSS. If you want to also reference coolant temp, then you might be able to splice into your stock coolant sensor...otherwise, you need a second coolant sensor. That should be all.

I have no signiture
Sunday, January 30, 2011 8:07 PM
Ummm, it is a 1993 cavalier 2.2 I believe that uses a 3 wire temp sensor, no second sensor would be needed with this 3 wire sensor.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Monday, January 31, 2011 10:59 AM
Unless the pot resistance of the the 3-wire is at least a couple orders of magnitude less than the internal pull-up resistor the ECM uses and follows the same Temp/resistance curve as the 2-wire., a 3-wire can't replace a 2-wire. It might be the case that these conditions are satisfied, but I personally don't know.

I have no signiture
Thursday, February 03, 2011 4:54 PM
It's in the v6 swap sticky in 3rd gen forum, you can use this sensor to give signal to two computers, so I don't see why it wouldn't work for this.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Saturday, February 05, 2011 8:08 AM
Well, I already have 2 coolant sensors installed: 1 for MS-II and another for the Jbody PCM. I'll leave the pull-up resistor connection on my board open and see if it creates a difference between the two readings at all. Thanks for the heads up though.

I have no signiture
Sunday, February 06, 2011 8:51 AM
Whalesac wrote:I don't know where to source the connectors, but yes. The 20-pin connector on the front of the trans is completely replaced. You also need to splice into the "Transmission Range" switch on top of the trans, as well as the VSS. If you want to also reference coolant temp, then you might be able to splice into your stock coolant sensor...otherwise, you need a second coolant sensor. That should be all.

I posted them on here somewhere.....

PRND321 Till I DIE

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 2:25 PM
WoW I gota get this. My sand rail project needs a stand alone controller for the 4t40e trans. I have looked into pcs and OptiShift controller that i was ready to buy. I thought about the megashift but didn't want to do all the r&d. I would like to have something like this that is already working on our trans.

My head hurts.
Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:42 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:
Whalesac wrote:I don't know where to source the connectors, but yes. The 20-pin connector on the front of the trans is completely replaced. You also need to splice into the "Transmission Range" switch on top of the trans, as well as the VSS. If you want to also reference coolant temp, then you might be able to splice into your stock coolant sensor...otherwise, you need a second coolant sensor. That should be all.

I posted them on here somewhere.....

Do you want the part numbers? They are in the transmission forum under 4t40E rebuild tread.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Thursday, February 24, 2011 9:31 AM
I found it. Thanks, Mike.

Update....

I wired up the harness the other day, with the exception of power and grounds. I haven't looked at the code in months, but I'm almost certain that I have the logic backwards for the Trans-switch (i.e. switched = high, when in reality, switched = ground), so I need to look at that again. I've been busy at work, and also in the middle of moving, so things are taking longer than I expected. I'll try to get it tested sometime in the coming week...hopefully.

I have no signiture
Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:55 PM
Hay Whalsac what kind of background do you have? Where did you go to school? MIT, Calpoly, sdsu? Great work buddy.

LOL
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search