2.2 Eco/m62 Tune - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 Eco/m62 Tune
Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:11 PM
All my ducks are in a row, and the parts are almost all here.

I plan on using the gm flash at first, while I work on a few other things. So my question is, how easy will it be to tune with HPT and the 2.5 bar Tmap if I decide to go that route? Will it be something I can do on the fly? For example, drive to the tuners using the gm flash swap PCM's and tune with HPT, then swap back and continue my day when I have to have the car to DD? I will have someone else doing the tuning for me, because I am HPT clueless right now. Would it just be easier to tune with the stock N/A 1 bar map sensor.

Alan, I know you will read this. I am just gathering info. I plan to use the Gm flash until I HAVE to HPtune.

Re: 2.2 Eco/m62 Tune
Friday, August 20, 2010 3:20 AM
I would use the stock map. Being a supercharger setup the tuning should be fairly easy. Should be able to get the tuning in 1 day.

FU Tuning

Friday, August 20, 2010 3:41 AM
It can be tuned easily in a day on 1-bar. If you want an added safety factor, relocate the IAT to the intake mani using the late model camaro threaded unit. This will let you log true IAT (what's actually going in the engine), and more importantly pull timing when it's heatsoaked to avoid detonation. This will allow you to squeeze in some more timing in the main table as well if you please.

FWIW, if you are going smaller than a 3.1" pulley, the reflash and 36lb/hr injectors are not going to keep up too well. On a 3.1" car i tuned to 11.3:1 afr, those injectors were at 91% IDC at 7k rpm. 60#'ers would give you all the room you need

Friday, August 20, 2010 11:30 AM
I understand it SHOULD be that simple, but I know its not gonna be. I need to run the flash, to be able to get around after the install. After the install, I won't have a chance to do the HPT for a few weeks. That's why I was asking if its simple to tune the 2.5 TMAP.

Friday, August 20, 2010 3:35 PM
oldskool (eco meatcake) wrote:It can be tuned easily in a day on 1-bar. If you want an added safety factor, relocate the IAT to the intake mani using the late model camaro threaded unit. This will let you log true IAT (what's actually going in the engine), and more importantly pull timing when it's heatsoaked to avoid detonation. This will allow you to squeeze in some more timing in the main table as well if you please.

FWIW, if you are going smaller than a 3.1" pulley, the reflash and 36lb/hr injectors are not going to keep up too well. On a 3.1" car i tuned to 11.3:1 afr, those injectors were at 91% IDC at 7k rpm. 60#'ers would give you all the room you need

Agree ^^^

FU Tuning

Saturday, August 21, 2010 6:47 AM
I haven't done a 2.5bar fake yet, but it shouldn't be that bad on a stock-ish M62 set up. Move the spark advance columns around appropriately, pull some timing in boost, smooth, smooth, smooth. Tune VE tables. Add advance back in and log. Repeat until you are happy with it. Done. I've also been told to be very careful with the IPW vs Vac table with the 2.5bar fake, as well as the injector constant.

Saturday, August 21, 2010 10:37 AM
Its a pain, I'm still working on mine, after just over a tank of gas I've gotten to the point where PE mode is great and cruise and idle are getting taken care of by the fuel trims, oh and no knock. I'm getting there, I'm going back to school monday though so it might be a while until I get the tune actually good. I had to really make huge swings at it with the IPWM vs VAC table to get it close and then fine tune with the VE tables, I was trying to just tune with the VE tables and it just wasnt giving me what I needed. I need to play with the IPWM vs VAC table a bit more and then fiddle with the VE tables a bit more and then I should have a decent tune. Of course this is my first time ever tuning anything, someone with more experience should do a better job faster.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Saturday, August 21, 2010 11:57 PM
so would a fake 2.5 be easier then a 1 bar tune?

Sunday, August 22, 2010 4:24 AM
IMHO, No.

Sunday, August 22, 2010 8:19 AM
So how you go on setting everything back to a 1bar settup?? For like IAT sensor and map. I got family at Reading, PA.. I should have you mess with my 2.5 fake bar haha.
Sunday, August 22, 2010 8:55 AM
Vic28 wrote:So how you go on setting everything back to a 1bar settup?? For like IAT sensor and map. I got family at Reading, PA.. I should have you mess with my 2.5 fake bar haha.
There is a thread on here about using the threaded IAT sensor from a late model camaro - which is plug and play with our harness. You locate the sensor on the intake manifold and get accurate intake temps. Other than that just install the factory 1 bar and there you go.

Sunday, August 22, 2010 9:28 AM
But the factory 1 bar doesn't fit in the spot on the intake mani, it requires a piece of tubing be expoxied into the mani. Its not easy to swap between the two. You'd be better to just have your tuner do a fake 2.5 bar, or even start with the fake 2.5 bar tube sitting in the tune suppository on hptuner's website. That tune's for a 2.8" pulley, built motor, full exhuast and 42 lb'ers, it should just takes some adjusting to work with your car, seems to be working well for me so far. I did have to pull a ton of timing from it.

Sunday, August 22, 2010 9:34 AM
Leafy wrote:But the factory 1 bar doesn't fit in the spot on the intake mani, it requires a piece of tubing be expoxied into the mani. Its not easy to swap between the two. You'd be better to just have your tuner do a fake 2.5 bar, or even start with the fake 2.5 bar tube sitting in the tune suppository on hptuner's website. That tune's for a 2.8" pulley, built motor, full exhuast and 42 lb'ers, it should just takes some adjusting to work with your car, seems to be working well for me so far. I did have to pull a ton of timing from it.

Thats wat im running right now, and its pretty decent but i need configs files to make sure i can log the right way.. hows your idle with it tho?
Sunday, August 22, 2010 10:36 AM
Tomorrow afternoon I can send you the config I'm using. Its using the wideband comming in through the ac pressure line but it only takes like 5 minutes to switch it over to using the wide band through the pro interface.

My idle in open loop was like 9:1 afr when I first set it up. I bottemed out the ve table and it was still around 10.5, once I did that. But once I re-enabled closed loop it would go back to fluctuating between like 13 and 15 like it did on the stock tune. I need to play with the ipwm vs vac to get crusing and idle really spot on so that I'm not using a ton of the fuel trims in closed loop.

Sunday, August 22, 2010 10:37 AM
Tomorrow afternoon I can send you the config I'm using. Its using the wideband comming in through the ac pressure line but it only takes like 5 minutes to switch it over to using the wide band through the pro interface.

My idle in open loop was like 9:1 afr when I first set it up. I bottemed out the ve table and it was still around 10.5, once I did that. But once I re-enabled closed loop it would go back to fluctuating between like 13 and 15 like it did on the stock tune. I need to play with the ipwm vs vac to get crusing and idle really spot on so that I'm not using a ton of the fuel trims in closed loop.

Sunday, August 22, 2010 6:44 PM
Personally I don't even know why your worried about HPT because for as long as it has taken you to even get the SCer on your car HPT will be at least another 2 years down the road. I don't think you should even bother with HPT at this point because just the other day you said you were planning to do away with the M62 anyhow and go bigger. Why waste the time and money to tune it via HPT just to do it over again. Depending what is done your looking at least 4 hours of dyno time and last I checked you weren't exactly in the position to drop a bunch of coin.

I'm not trying to be an @$$hole but rather just realistic hence the reason I haven't responded to this post till now.

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Sunday, August 22, 2010 9:47 PM
Because I have someone that will pay the price for the hpt credits if I let him tune it. He just wants the brain food.

Sunday, August 22, 2010 11:01 PM
So in other words you have someone that wants to practice tuning at the expense of your engine?

Monday, August 23, 2010 1:08 PM
He tuned a ton of m90 powered grand prix's. wants to start the ecotecs now. I would not be his first, and surely not his last. he offered to i told him if it worked out that i might be down for it.

The PCM came into day, so its time to figure out the bypass valve actuator and get a date planned.

Monday, August 23, 2010 1:16 PM
I just email'ed you the config I've been using.

Monday, August 23, 2010 1:36 PM
EvoFire wrote:He tuned a ton of m90 powered grand prix's. wants to start the ecotecs now. I would not be his first, and surely not his last. he offered to i told him if it worked out that i might be down for it.

This tuner is in for a rude awakening!

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Monday, August 23, 2010 6:04 PM
QWK LN2 (needs an @ss whoopin) wrote:
EvoFire wrote:He tuned a ton of m90 powered grand prix's. wants to start the ecotecs now. I would not be his first, and surely not his last. he offered to i told him if it worked out that i might be down for it.

Couldn't agree more.........

Monday, August 23, 2010 6:05 PM
eh..whatever. who knows maybe i will never even talk to him about it again. im just trying to learn.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 5:19 AM
CaliforniaDomestics wrote:
QWK LN2 (needs an @ss whoopin) wrote:

Couldn't agree more.........

x3

Hahn Stage II - Mitsu TD06-20g |3" Turbo-back Exhaust | 61mm Bored TB |
HP Tuners | Innovate WB02 | Spec Stage 3 | Team Green LSD | TurboTech Upper | Full Addco Sways | Sportlines & Yellows |
Thursday, September 01, 2011 3:22 PM
Well, the blower has been on for some time now. I am currently running the stock setup with a cobra h/e'er and all seems well. I am about to install Meth, drop a pulley size or two, and start the HPtuning process. I have found a local tuner out here in Phx that tunes all the cobalt guys. He is pulling my base tune file this weekend to start building a baseline based off of the 2.2 supercharged cobalts he has done. I think it will be fairly easy for him to dial in a tune for me.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search