HP Tuners and a TIcket??? - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HP Tuners and a TIcket???
Sunday, July 11, 2010 11:33 AM
OK, so I just got done putting some 60# injectors in the shop redline and was driving around getting some logs of the car running. When all the sudden I get pulled over for having my computer on while i am driving, anyone ever get a ticket for this?

Mark

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/

Re: HP Tuners and a TIcket???
Sunday, July 11, 2010 1:30 PM
LMAO! Seriously..... Did he tell you yo tighten up the screws holding your floor boards too?

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Sunday, July 11, 2010 1:40 PM
In Florida it is against the law to have a monitor/computer/TV facing the driver of the car. If he caught you looking at it it is a just ticket. When I got out and see a cop I close the laptop, nore so at night.

FU Tuning

Sunday, July 11, 2010 3:51 PM
My guess is he pulled you over for (SOME OTHER REASON...) then saw the laptop and decided that was good enough.

Hahn Stage II - Mitsu TD06-20g |3" Turbo-back Exhaust | 61mm Bored TB |
HP Tuners | Innovate WB02 | Spec Stage 3 | Team Green LSD | TurboTech Upper | Full Addco Sways | Sportlines & Yellows |
Sunday, July 11, 2010 6:22 PM
Hell I hate laws like that. Because I bet ya right now he has one in his cop car and I know around here they use em and drive.

Sunday, July 11, 2010 6:46 PM
Technically you could probably get a ticket for having a GPS where you can see it. A second ticket if its blocking any part of the windshield.

Sunday, July 11, 2010 7:16 PM
mitdr774 wrote:Technically you could probably get a ticket for having a GPS where you can see it. A second ticket if its blocking any part of the windshield.

GPS is legal...however, any obstruction of the windshield is illegal
OEM wrote:OK, so I just got done putting some 60# injectors in the shop redline and was driving around getting some logs of the car running. When all the sudden I get pulled over for having my computer on while i am driving, anyone ever get a ticket for this?

Mark

You're lucky he/she didn't know you were changing the parameters of an emissions controlled vehicle. Close the laptop next time.

I have no signiture
Sunday, July 11, 2010 8:54 PM
Here in maryland they call it distractive driving. If I remember right its fineable up to $500. Doesn't stop me though.

Monday, July 12, 2010 8:16 AM
I usually just put my screen on 1 minute powerdown to save power because when I'm by myself I can't drive, watch gages, the road, and the laptop simultaneously.

When i'm cruising I tap on the keys and glance at my new data - usually i just wait to do the bulk of my analysis when I'm stopped - but keeping the screen down is good idea too.
Monday, July 12, 2010 8:19 AM
OEM wrote:OK, so I just got done putting some 60# injectors in the shop redline and was driving around getting some logs of the car running. When all the sudden I get pulled over for having my computer on while i am driving, anyone ever get a ticket for this?

Mark

- You did get hosed on this one - totally cheap shotted you. It's funny they pull you over for a laptop being on, but they won't pull over all the people i see these days with tail lights out.
Monday, July 12, 2010 9:36 AM
Seriously I was driving the speed limit and all the sudden woop woop. Im like you gotta be kidden me.

Monday, July 12, 2010 10:05 AM
I got pulled over for speeding w/ Rodimus riding shotgun w/ the laptop..

He basically slammed it shut & put it on the floor & was quiet.

I didnt even think about it, but he said he has seen tickets handed out for a laptop on the seat while driving etc...

Monday, July 12, 2010 2:21 PM
Having a screen in sight of the driver is illegal in most states. Why do you think in-dash DVD players have the emergency brake wire?

Monday, July 12, 2010 4:00 PM
The whole point of my argument is, its exactly the same thing you look at while your driving in front of you, the gauges and what not. Its not like I stare at it while driving 50mph. In fact I just have it on recording it, but its the legal system. He pulled me over not only because of my computer, but the cops around here love to give people a hard time if they have shinny wheels if ya know what I mean

Mark

Monday, July 12, 2010 4:38 PM
You have no agruement it is the law. Has been for a long time.

FU Tuning

Monday, July 12, 2010 5:58 PM
OEM wrote:The whole point of my argument is, its exactly the same thing you look at while your driving in front of you, the gauges and what not. Its not like I stare at it while driving 50mph. In fact I just have it on recording it, but its the legal system. He pulled me over not only because of my computer, but the cops around here love to give people a hard time if they have shinny wheels if ya know what I mean

Mark
Its not the legal system, its the @!#$ty economy and a prick with a badge.....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 6:36 PM
just set the laptop to not sleep when you close the lid, start logging, close the thing and just drive.

Monday, July 19, 2010 1:34 PM
It is also illegal here in Ontario Canada.
But I am a licenced tech, so I am allowed to use it.
The cops are also allowed to use their computers as well.
@!#$ty deal though.

http://www.weatherallsautomotive.com http://www.planethax.com/j-body
Sunday, July 25, 2010 8:09 PM
lol well.... i had a cop come up behind me while tuning in the middle of nowhere..

came up to the window, i had the laptop on my lap while sitting in the driver seat screwing with the auto trans tables and he's like whoa, whatcha doing there? i explained that my car was having troubles shifting and i was trying to get it to shift correctly (exactly what i was doing actually) and hes like NO WAY YOU CAN DO THAT?! and i said yep, and he was all interested in the car, genuinely. he asked if i had anything done and i said yes, a lot. i popped the hood and his eyes grew pretty wide. he couldnt get enough of my car.

best cop experience ive ever had, hands down. the guy was cool as @!#$. we sat there and bs'd for like an hour.

Oldsmobile all motor > Saab/Opel boosted
Monday, July 26, 2010 6:32 AM
z yaaaa wrote:lol well.... i had a cop come up behind me while tuning in the middle of nowhere..

came up to the window, i had the laptop on my lap while sitting in the driver seat screwing with the auto trans tables and he's like whoa, whatcha doing there? i explained that my car was having troubles shifting and i was trying to get it to shift correctly (exactly what i was doing actually) and hes like NO WAY YOU CAN DO THAT?! and i said yep, and he was all interested in the car, genuinely. he asked if i had anything done and i said yes, a lot. i popped the hood and his eyes grew pretty wide. he couldnt get enough of my car.

best cop experience ive ever had, hands down. the guy was cool as @!#$. we sat there and bs'd for like an hour.

thats pretty sweet man

i have been pulled over a few times while i was out with my laptop getting some logs.....but he didnt say anything to me except i need to get my exhaust fixed lol ( bc it was loud )......now for the record the laptop was in the passenger seat on and running but the screen was lowered sooo i couldnt see it just set it up to run and not go into power save mode while it was logging

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Monday, July 26, 2010 9:48 AM
Whalesac wrote:
mitdr774 wrote:Technically you could probably get a ticket for having a GPS where you can see it. A second ticket if its blocking any part of the windshield.

GPS is legal...however, any obstruction of the windshield is illegal

Mark

You're lucky he/she didn't know you were changing the parameters of an emissions controlled vehicle. Close the laptop next time.

thats not completely true , there is sections that are allowed in the lower and upper corners , size depends on state and local laws

though the biggest LEGAL block on the windshield is the dam visors , lol

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 11:44 PM
Over here in Oregon its illegal to use your cell phone with anything but a hands free device while the car is in motion. The first day of the law some kid gets pulled over for "using his phone" but it was an ipod touch. If I ever get pulled over for it I am just going to say I was messing with my music.
I have heard of the laptop thing, but haven't had any problems if there is a person in the pass seat holding/using it.

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 2:16 AM
Gotta love Netbooks, toss em in the glove box and data log away.......

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 4:54 PM
turn the brightness down all the way, esp at night, if you see cops or lights, shut that @!#$ get it out of sight if possible and deny everything

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 5:23 PM
whats funny is a lot of cops (at least around here) drive with their dash computers lit up all the time, day or night.

Oldsmobile all motor > Saab/Opel boosted
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search