Running a Ecotec on a OHV/LD9 ECU - Page 6 - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Eco on LD9 SC Reflash
Saturday, February 19, 2011 5:25 AM
oldskool (eco meatcake) wrote:SS-J - the pcm's are not the same. The 2000 and 2001 2200 pcm will take the LD9 s/c reflash, and obviously so will the 2000-2002 LD9 PCM. The 2002 pcm is the same as the eco, but different from the others above and you will get a vin/os mismatch. Last year I was highly excited to find the 2002 2200 pcm was the same as the eco hoping it would take the flash, but it's basically like a different platform of pcm.

He is right.

basicly any ECU that looks like a ECO ecu will not work for this.

Again I highly recommend using a LD9 ECU because the knock sensor plugs are the same and makes that plug and play. TPS, IAC, MAP are all on the same side of the engine as a ECO. A 2200/LN2 it is not and will require some rerouting of wires.

FU Tuning

Saturday, February 19, 2011 10:39 AM
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:
oldskool (eco meatcake) wrote:SS-J - the pcm's are not the same. The 2000 and 2001 2200 pcm will take the LD9 s/c reflash, and obviously so will the 2000-2002 LD9 PCM. The 2002 pcm is the same as the eco, but different from the others above and you will get a vin/os mismatch. Last year I was highly excited to find the 2002 2200 pcm was the same as the eco hoping it would take the flash, but it's basically like a different platform of pcm.

He is right.

Again I highly recommend using a LD9 ECU because the knock sensor plugs are the same and makes that plug and play. TPS, IAC, MAP are all on the same side of the engine as a ECO. A 2200/LN2 it is not and will require some rerouting of wires.

you mean LD9 harness and PCM? but what about the cam sensor?

Saturday, February 19, 2011 2:42 PM
SS-J wrote:

He is right.

you mean LD9 harness and PCM? but what about the cam sensor?

Yes. What about it? 2200/LN2 doesn't have one, and nor does a Eco. We ran it just fine using a LD9 file and made 314whp on stock motor.

FU Tuning

Saturday, February 19, 2011 2:51 PM
isent the LD9 pcm looking for that sensor if your running an ld9 pcm and harness? does that just throw the injectors into batch fire mode not getting a signal from that?

so if im thinking about doing this my shopping list should be an ld9 flash file. a 00-01 2200 harness and pcm?

ill start looking at these thing at the yards around me.

Saturday, February 19, 2011 7:00 PM
SS-J wrote:isent the LD9 pcm looking for that sensor if your running an ld9 pcm and harness? does that just throw the injectors into batch fire mode not getting a signal from that?

so if im thinking about doing this my shopping list should be an ld9 flash file. a 00-01 2200 harness and pcm?

yeah not having the cam sensor will make the car just run in non-sequential mode rather than sequential. This only effects things under 3l rpms but it will reduce gas mileage and power down low (theoretically). I think you should be able tot take the fake spark based cam position sensor that the eco uses and use it either straight up or through an msd box.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Saturday, February 19, 2011 7:51 PM
SS-J wrote:isent the LD9 pcm looking for that sensor if your running an ld9 pcm and harness? does that just throw the injectors into batch fire mode not getting a signal from that?

00-02 LD9 harness and ECU, and then a GM LD9 reflash file.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:56 AM
I just started a 2000 sunfire project. Which is getting a boosted LE5 swap. it had an ld9 in it so oldskool and i are going to attempt to run the harness and ecu thats already in there.

Friday, March 18, 2011 5:44 AM
^^Sweet, let us know how it goes!

Friday, May 06, 2011 3:19 PM
After reading this thread it is making me rethink junking my car as a second motor has gone south.

From what I have read all I really need to do (for stock motor applications at this point) is swap the harness around and drill and tap the block for the knock sensor since I have a ln2 ecm and harness currently. Then all I would have to do is just get all the tables changed over for fueling, spark, etc to match the eco motor and then I should be good. BTW this all would be on a 99 Cavalier with a LN2.
Friday, June 17, 2011 7:51 AM
to save yourself some credits with HPT wouldn't it be better to start with a flashed LD9 PCM? or did i miss something?

Friday, June 17, 2011 9:15 AM
Cinny wrote:to save yourself some credits with HPT wouldn't it be better to start with a flashed LD9 PCM? or did i miss something?

It is not going to matter. Unless you can get a ECU with the LD9 GM reflash already on it your going to spend 4 credits. 2 for the ECU (weather it be a LN2 or LD9 ECU), and then 2 for the GM reflash so you can load it onto the ECU.

FU Tuning

Friday, June 17, 2011 3:06 PM
Cinny wrote:to save yourself some credits with HPT wouldn't it be better to start with a flashed LD9 PCM? or did i miss something?

It is not going to matter. Unless you can get a ECU with the LD9 GM reflash already on it your going to spend 4 credits. 2 for the ECU (weather it be a LN2 or LD9 ECU), and then 2 for the GM reflash so you can load it onto the ECU.

ok now I'm following you better, does the reflash still have to come from a dealer, or your doing it from someone file in HPT and thats the reason for the last two credits.

Friday, June 17, 2011 3:07 PM
Cinny wrote:

ok now I'm following you better, does the reflash still have to come from a dealer, or your doing it from someone file in HPT and thats the reason for the last two credits.

Correct.

FU Tuning

Re: Update
Tuesday, June 21, 2011 2:37 PM
So parts needed to do this:

You need a LN2/LD9 ECU and harness, would be easier to start with a 2000-2001 set-up.
LN2/2200 coils and pigtails.
You are going to need to either cut some plugs off your Eco harness or go grab some from the junkyard like we did ( TPS, IAC)
We used a LN2 O2 sensor since we had one so we did not have to cut and splice the Eco one on, they are different.
Also if using a LN2 harness everything is backwards, this is a good time for a wire tuck, or clean up job. O2 sensor is in the front, but needs to be in the rear, TPS, IAC, MAP in the rear needs to be in the front. Runing a LD9 harness might be better for this, but then you will need to cut and splice a LN2 ignition plugs in to run the 2200 coils.
Also using a LD9 harness 2000+ your knock sensor will plug right in, if using a LN2 harness you will need to drill and tap for the 1 wire knock sensor off a LN2.
If you are running injectors that require a different style clip then you need to wire those into the injectors harness of the LN2/LD9 harness.
You are likely going to need a ignition switch from the car you are pulling the harness from. We have found that they are different from Ecotec's to non Ecotec's. Not as far as looks, but communication with the ECU, and BCM.

got some tips for identifying the correct computer? IE Auto vs Manual I found two numbers but don't know the difference in them. I searched a 2001 cav 2.4 ecm the two numbers I have are 16268310 and 9356249.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 2:44 PM
If its a manual and you put an auto pcm in it should be fine if you just over write it with a manual file.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:16 PM
well this is where I am, I located a wiring harness guy is gonna verify thats its for a 4sp auto and get back to me. DL the files for a 2000 2.4 auto and the SC reflash at HPT. now I need the PCM/ECU I know its teh larger boxier one, I have a 2002 LN2 but thats the wrong one, looks like the ECO's. I don't want to have to burn 6 credits when 4 will do.

Sunday, July 17, 2011 6:07 PM
Can we pull any obd2 ld9 pcm/harness? Or do we need one post 2k?

ECOtec DOHC

Sunday, July 17, 2011 7:44 PM
SLRdohc wrote:Can we pull any obd2 ld9 pcm/harness? Or do we need one post 2k?

Gotta be 00-02 or the supercharger flash wont work.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 6:42 PM
Can a local speed shop tuner with HPT do the gm reflash? Is it a default reflash or does someone need that file?

Also I know you guys were having problems switching maps and tables for the ld9? Does someone really need to know HPT or just the formula on what to change?

ECOtec DOHC

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:19 PM
you need the file, its available in the tune repository at HPTuners, the other stuff I'll leave to others, I have the same question I was just waiting till I had parts in hand and could do something with the info.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 6:12 AM
SLRdohc wrote:Can a local speed shop tuner with HPT do the gm reflash? Is it a default reflash or does someone need that file?

Also I know you guys were having problems switching maps and tables for the ld9? Does someone really need to know HPT or just the formula on what to change?

What problems are you referring to?

FU Tuning

Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:31 AM
the tuning part/math. Can any tuner do what you did if they had hp tuners? I ask cause the local tuner here tunes with the f-bodys. I think I just answered my own dam question ... dang

ECOtec DOHC

Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:46 AM
In my opinion he can if he took his time. F-body and J-body PCM / Tuning are completely different, and sadly most tuners can not do an adequate job.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:52 AM
Yeah anyone who's only tuned maf cars is going to have no @!#$ clue how to tune our cars right, and likely won't be willing to learn. The two bar is a lot easier than the stock eco but they still need to understand what's going on.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 9:41 AM
this is a little exciting to consider. I see a ton of j's with the harnesses and computers to pull for this.

having a 00 ld9 in the car already it seems like the eco swap will be 10 times easier to do now that I know I don't have to source new harness and computer.

now i have to get this going and bribe pj to tune her up or bring a case of yuengling to the kgm guys

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search