Running a Ecotec on a OHV/LD9 ECU - Page 7 - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Update
Thursday, July 21, 2011 10:02 AM
Once I get my parts I might need someones file so I can just adjust to that one. Maybe with a current map they can just fine tune.

ECOtec DOHC

Thursday, July 21, 2011 10:52 AM
If the tuner can't tune a speed density ECU then i would not use them.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 1:26 AM
Mike Demo wrote:this is a little exciting to consider. I see a ton of j's with the harnesses and computers to pull for this.

having a 00 ld9 in the car already it seems like the eco swap will be 10 times easier to do now that I know I don't have to source new harness and computer.

now i have to get this going and bribe pj to tune her up or bring a case of yuengling to the kgm guys

Im in Minnesota, wanna send me a case of yuengling? I love that stuff. we cant get it here

Saturday, July 30, 2011 1:54 PM
I forgot that some of the malibu's, sunfires all come with an LD9. Would these pcm's be the same has on the 00-01 ld9?

ECOtec DOHC

Saturday, July 30, 2011 3:57 PM
SLRdohc wrote:I forgot that some of the malibu's, sunfires all come with an LD9. Would these pcm's be the same has on the 00-01 ld9?

Grand Am too I think, don't know about the flash part f it though it should work since your doing a write entire

Sunday, July 31, 2011 1:42 PM
on the list of parts we needed... We really do need the ignition switch?

ECOtec DOHC

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:06 PM
Cinny wrote:
SLRdohc wrote:I forgot that some of the malibu's, sunfires all come with an LD9. Would these pcm's be the same has on the 00-01 ld9?

Grand Am too I think, don't know about the flash part f it though it should work since your doing a write entire
If it helps you any when we were tuning my Grand Am, it was flashed to a cavalier file. it ran fine but none of the dash/interior stuff worked.

I don't need a damn sig.
Sunday, December 04, 2011 4:06 PM
So could we just repin the Eco harness?

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 4:23 PM
blackbirdracing wrote:So could we just repin the Eco harness?

I think so.

I've actually been buried in wiring diagrams the last few days as I'm about to do this swap. I think it will also involve repinning the ICM connector (or cut/splice), unless of course you are using 2200/MSD coils. I personally I am going to try and retain the stock eco coil pack/ignition module for the sake of keeping things clean looking, besides, as long as the Eco ignition works I see no benefit in swapping to just 2200 coils as you'll still be running in batch fire mode regardless. I'm sure at some point I'll switch to the MSD setup so I can run a DIS-2, but til then I'm sure the Eco ICM/coilpack can work.
I haven't double checked everything though (and will probably triple check before I start cutting up my harness), but so far it looks like all the wiring is run the same from PCM to various sensors.

The only hang up, and maybe John can chime in here, is the ignition switch. He mentioned having to swap in the 2200 ignition switch as there is a difference between harnesses, but I'm not sure if that was specifically for using the 2200 harness, and perhaps ld9 to Eco are ok. I haven't had a chance to look at an actual ld9 switch to compare the the eco's. I first compared wiring in a Haynes manual, and it showed no difference in switches...I have looked at the ignition switch wiring for the LD9 in the GM service manual, I just haven't had a chance to look at the Eco diagram yet, hopefully I'll get to that later tonight/tomorrow.

I'm going to keep checking, and maybe in the meantime someone with an answer can share, lol.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 5:50 PM
as far as the ign switch. plug is the same.

Reason for swapping was car not starting and it required the switch to get the car to start.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:27 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:as far as the ign switch. plug is the same.

Reason for swapping was car not starting and it required the switch to get the car to start.

Ok, gotcha, thanks John.

So assuming that repinning an Eco harness is successful, I would guess the ign switch still needs to be swapped in due to the LD9 computer?

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 11:35 AM
EVILution (KGM Godfather) wrote:
Addicted to meth wrote:as far as the ign switch. plug is the same.

Ok, gotcha, thanks John.

So assuming that repinning an Eco harness is successful, I would guess the ign switch still needs to be swapped in due to the LD9 computer?

It has been a hit and mis kind of thing.

Also as far as wiring is concerned the ign switch should not be a issue, but if your repining to a LD9 ECU, then you are working in the engine bay, and the ign switch is not on that end of the harness.

Even if you just swap in a LD9 harness the ign switch is not on that part.

It has been a while since I have messed with this and sat and thought about all parts, but repinning to me seems longer, harder, and I'm not 100% sure it will work.

I'm not sure that running the Eco coils is possible on a LD9 ECU.

FU Tuning

Saturday, December 17, 2011 12:08 PM
So what are the turbo specs and at what psi was that dyno video taken at?

Saturday, December 17, 2011 3:22 PM
Thrice . wrote:So what are the turbo specs and at what psi was that dyno video taken at?

t3/t4 turbo .60 / .53 @17psi

FU Tuning

Sunday, December 18, 2011 10:57 PM
I just thought of this, is injector impedance going to mess with us on this. I hoping not since A I didn't see anything about it before, and B I already have injectors.

Sunday, December 18, 2011 11:33 PM
Injector impedance is high impedance on both iirc. So you'll be good

Monday, December 19, 2011 10:35 AM
So ecotecs have the skinny injectors right

GMR has got nothing on this
Monday, December 19, 2011 1:01 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:
Thrice . wrote:So what are the turbo specs and at what psi was that dyno video taken at?

I'm needy, I apologize, but those specs are pretty generic and vague. Any chance you know if these wheel specs are exact if notvery close?
Quote:

Compressor exducer - 59.5mm, inducer - 52.6mm. Turbine exducer - 63mm, inducer - 73.4mm

I only ask because i'm trying to gauge the power output from my Borg Warner S250 at similar boost levels.

Monday, December 19, 2011 4:49 PM
Thrice . wrote:
Addicted to meth wrote:

I'm needy, I apologize, but those specs are pretty generic and vague. Any chance you know if these wheel specs are exact if notvery close?
Quote:

Compressor exducer - 59.5mm, inducer - 52.6mm. Turbine exducer - 63mm, inducer - 73.4mm

I only ask because i'm trying to gauge the power output from my Borg Warner S250 at similar boost levels.

No I do not. I will see if I can get Robert to post up on more of the info.

Also note it is a Ebay turbo. lol

FU Tuning

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 6:40 AM
i'm amazed it didn't grenade with the first dyno lol

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 8:00 AM
Thrice . wrote:i'm amazed it didn't grenade with the first dyno lol

Why would it?

The car was ran for over a year at that boost level.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 11:38 AM
Addicted to meth wrote:

Why would it?

I didn't know that part. And you said it was an Ebay turbo. Which by that, i assumed you meant china brand knock-off. It's not like they're known for their excellent quality.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 11:56 AM
Thrice . wrote:
Addicted to meth wrote:

Why would it?

I didn't know that part. And you said it was an Ebay turbo. Which by that, i assumed you meant china brand knock-off. It's not like they're known for their excellent quality.

It doesnt mean china brand knock off. It could just be over production for the same factory in china that makes garrett turbos.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Saturday, May 26, 2012 3:10 PM
im researching this for my own car, and from what ive read, hardware wise i just need
LD9 pcm,
LD9 harness,
4 hptuners credits
to change the plugs on tps, lengthen some wires, and make the primary 02 a heated o2 sensor

as far as getting a base tune
change the injector constant

copy the fuel and timing tables from an eco pcm?
" the proper kpa colums"

what tables are you refering to? it was mentioned a couple times but no specifics.

i know its not just copy and paste and you are good to go. I just wanna know which ones so i can learn.

thanks
Monday, May 28, 2012 7:18 AM
Snowman wrote:im researching this for my own car, and from what ive read, hardware wise i just need
LD9 pcm,
LD9 harness,
4 hptuners credits
to change the plugs on tps, lengthen some wires, and make the primary 02 a heated o2 sensor

You'll also need to address the ignition system, using either a 2200 ICM/coils or a DIS-2 setup. And the CKP wiring needs to have the polarity reversed (If you look at the Eco harness, there is an extension at the end of the CKP pigtail that reverses the polarities). The LD9 CKP connector fits the eco sensor, you just need to cut and switch the 2 wires.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search