Running a Ecotec on a OHV/LD9 ECU - Page 4 - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Update
Tuesday, October 12, 2010 4:53 PM
Leafy wrote:This is good. I have a distinct feeling it should run decent so long as you have the right injector constant. I mean mine idled like a champ when I put the s/c on and was running 9:1 afr's at idle. To me it seems that the eco shows no ill effects of running too rich but as soon as your idle afr goes constant about 15.5:1 it runs rough as hell.

Oh and what are we doing about the CamPS? Does the LD9 use that or only the 2200?

I do agree with you.

LD9 has one, but does not need it to run. It is used from idle to 3800 RPMS. LD9 has 2 low RPM fueling tables for this reason. So we are not doing anything with it.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 4:58 PM
Weird, the eco also has two low RPM fuel tables, single and double fire. I always just make them contain the same values. Why do I get the feeling that only the double fire table gets used because theres no CPS.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Tuesday, October 12, 2010 5:10 PM
See the crazy thing about this ecofreak motor is it really likes to to idle at 7.0 afr .. but we have also seen it run great at idle mix of 14.0 afr so it has been all over the scale with the afr's ..

I'm sure with a little more time John and I will have it running the way it should with a better tune on it then before the swap .. This motor has been a pain to tune . So we hope to be able to work out the tuning bugs .. And then I will jump up the boost from 16 PSI to 20 PSI and let it eat .. I will not stop till I see 20 PSI on the fully stock junkyard motor ..

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 6:16 PM
CAVY 2NV wrote:See the crazy thing about this ecofreak motor is it really likes to to idle at 7.0 afr .. but we have also seen it run great at idle mix of 14.0 afr so it has been all over the scale with the afr's ..

I'm sure with a little more time John and I will have it running the way it should with a better tune on it then before the swap .. This motor has been a pain to tune . So we hope to be able to work out the tuning bugs .. And then I will jump up the boost from 16 PSI to 20 PSI and let it eat .. I will not stop till I see 20 PSI on the fully stock junkyard motor ..

What wideband do you use that can read 7.0 AFR?

I have no signiture
Tuesday, October 12, 2010 6:17 PM
Whalesac wrote:

Innovate.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Tuesday, October 12, 2010 6:21 PM
ahhh...carry on.

I have no signiture
Tuesday, October 12, 2010 6:21 PM
Leafy wrote:
Whalesac wrote:

Innovate.

Correct thats the one

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 5:26 AM
Awesome, was wondering if you anyone was actually doing this after seeing all the hints at this in the other forum sections.
Hope you get it all tuned up nice guys! I'm pulling for ya.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 7:26 PM
Well we have a big update IT WORKS .. Thats right tonight as John was tyring to get the tune worked out. We had a problem with the motor Backfiring and would not want to idle at all no matter what he did,, It seemed to be a ground problem .. So I pulled out the multi meter and went to checking all of the harness for a ground problem . Thats when i found that the purple(IGN SIG ) wire for the CPS had about 28 ohms to ground and the yellow (CPS GROUND) had 0 ohms to ground . I switched the two wires and BAM the car started up with no backfiring and is running 1000 times better then before i swapped the two wires ..
HPT was reading up to 250 kpa .. I do think that now that its running like it is , it will be just a couple of hrs tuning and It will be running better then it ever has ..

John took a shot vid of it running . Sorry but the harness is just thrown on the motor and the ECU is on the ground so I have some cleaning up to do .. but thats a cakewalk from where we started ...

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 7:34 PM
So in short, can we get a list of what would be needed to do this? would it be just the harness and ECU?

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 7:51 PM
I will update tomorrow as what all should be needed. Also want to add you WILL NOT BE able to run factory Eco coils on this setup. You will have to run 2200 coils. Reason is on the Eco the Crank Position Sensor runs back to the ECU, but on a LN2/LD9 it goes to the ICM first. So wiring a Eco coil housing in you would loose the CPS and the car would not run.

FU Tuning

Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:51 AM
Very interesting! Please keep us posted, as I am sure I have turbosystem customers who may be interested in this approach.

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Thursday, October 14, 2010 8:44 AM
Excited For The List Of Parts Needed

RIP Cpl Derek Kerns And Cpl Robby Reyes
24th MEU VMM-261 (REIN) V22 Crewchiefs
11 April 2012 Morocco (African Lion)
Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:24 PM
Go figure a week after I have parted out my car. Good luck guys, great work. I hope you can get everything ironed out and come up with a reliable solution.

Hahn Stage II - Mitsu TD06-20g |3" Turbo-back Exhaust | 61mm Bored TB |
HP Tuners | Innovate WB02 | Spec Stage 3 | Team Green LSD | TurboTech Upper | Full Addco Sways | Sportlines & Yellows |
Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:35 PM

Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:47 PM
Here is a update with info and parts. It has been a really bad day at work, and my head is fried. I'm sure Robert will look over this, and I will later to see if I missed anything.

What I know:

That you can run a LD9 reflash on a OHV ECU. Ryan has his car and his wifes turbo OHV's running the on the GM reflash for the LD9's.
I know you can run 2200 coils on a Ecotec. I few people have done this.
Ecotec and OHV/LD9 sensor's are 5 volt reference sensor's (like TPS, IAC).
CPS on a OHV/LD9 and Eco share the same connector, BUT on a Ecotec it is reversed. You want the colors mis matched. Meaning yellow to purple, Purple to yellow
IAT, Temp sender share the same connector on the OHV/LD9/Eco
LD9 2 bar map will fit the L61 intake manifold (but requires the orange grommet)
Will need to credit the OHV ECU and also the GM reflash ( I already have 2 GM LD9 reflashes credited on my HPT)
You can not run factory Ecotec coils on a LN2/LD9 ecu and wiring harness ( CPS on a Eco runs back to the ECU first, on a LN2/LD9 goes to the ICM)

So parts needed to do this:

You need a LN2/LD9 ECU and harness, would be easier to start with a 2000-2001 set-up.
LN2/2200 coils and pigtails.
You are going to need to either cut some plugs off your Eco harness or go grab some from the junkyard like we did ( TPS, IAC)
We used a LN2 O2 sensor since we had one so we did not have to cut and splice the Eco one on, they are different.
Also if using a LN2 harness everything is backwards, this is a good time for a wire tuck, or clean up job. O2 sensor is in the front, but needs to be in the rear, TPS, IAC, MAP in the rear needs to be in the front. Runing a LD9 harness might be better for this, but then you will need to cut and splice a LN2 ignition plugs in to run the 2200 coils.
Also using a LD9 harness 2000+ your knock sensor will plug right in, if using a LN2 harness you will need to drill and tap for the 1 wire knock sensor off a LN2.
If you are running injectors that require a different style clip then you need to wire those into the injectors harness of the LN2/LD9 harness.
You are likely going to need a ignition switch from the car you are pulling the harness from. We have found that they are different from Ecotec's to non Ecotec's. Not as far as looks, but communication with the ECU, and BCM.

FU Tuning

Thursday, October 14, 2010 4:04 PM
Friday, October 15, 2010 2:38 AM
This might be a stupid question but with this setup could you then run the MSD DIS2 with out any flaws? My rudimentary understanding of the problems was that the ICM for the ecos wasn't getting the cam signal through to the pcm and it would throw it in batch fire mode for the fuel injectors. With how it sounds on this, it doesn't seem like it would have that problem.

But besides that brilliant work. took a few steps back to go forwards.
Friday, October 15, 2010 3:07 AM
SS-J wrote:This might be a stupid question but with this setup could you then run the MSD DIS2 with out any flaws? My rudimentary understanding of the problems was that the ICM for the ecos wasn't getting the cam signal through to the pcm and it would throw it in batch fire mode for the fuel injectors. With how it sounds on this, it doesn't seem like it would have that problem.

Well the car is still going to run in batch fire because we wonlt have a cam sensor, but I still see no reason you couldn't run a DIS2. I do not think I would bother, but you should be able to.

FU Tuning

Monday, October 18, 2010 3:44 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, October 18, 2010 6:14 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 9:36 PM
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:
SS-J wrote:This might be a stupid question but with this setup could you then run the MSD DIS2 with out any flaws? My rudimentary understanding of the problems was that the ICM for the ecos wasn't getting the cam signal through to the pcm and it would throw it in batch fire mode for the fuel injectors. With how it sounds on this, it doesn't seem like it would have that problem.

Well the car is still going to run in batch fire because we wonlt have a cam sensor, but I still see no reason you couldn't run a DIS2. I do not think I would bother, but you should be able to.

And thats probable not something that can be taken care of in hpt either. alright.

kinda forgot about the cam sensor.

So this means 2 bar potential once the base tuning is all set to go then? should be interesting to see.
Thursday, October 21, 2010 1:58 PM
Quote:

So this means 2 bar potential once the base tuning is all set to go then? should be interesting to see

No need to say potential, because the car is running on a 2 bar file. Just a matter of getting the wiring placed nice and neat, and go tuning.

FU Tuning

Thursday, October 28, 2010 10:31 AM
any new updates on this

RIP Cpl Derek Kerns And Cpl Robby Reyes
24th MEU VMM-261 (REIN) V22 Crewchiefs
11 April 2012 Morocco (African Lion)
Thursday, October 28, 2010 11:56 AM
Cavi2Sunfire wrote:any new updates on this

He has all the wiring done, and got his 2 bar map sensor. Just waiting on me to get back out there and tune, but it runs.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search