Motor swap.. what year computer do i have - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Motor swap.. what year computer do i have
Sunday, October 02, 2005 1:54 AM
i want to get the gm reflash, and when i bought it had a motor swap out of (i think he said a 2000 or so). but i dont know if he swapped the ecm. so is there anywhere on it that says what year it is on the engine or the ecm? or how would i know? i hope you guys can help me out.
thanks in advance

Re: Motor swap.. what year computer do i have
Sunday, October 02, 2005 12:24 PM
If he did a swap and the swapped motor actually runs, then it should be the proper PCM.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Sunday, October 02, 2005 1:00 PM
i got a 96z24 and a 2k motor and the gm sc( no reflash due to 96 pcm). runs like a charm.

Sunday, October 02, 2005 8:48 PM
from my understanding of PCM's, if it isn't the correct PCM, the car will either not even start, or it won't run worth a damn at all.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Monday, October 03, 2005 9:06 AM
just beause it is a different engine's pcm, doesnt mean it will run poorly.. remember most modern pcm's have the ability to correct a/f and spark advance to a certian degree (and apparently a bunch with the 03+ pcm). although the more different the engines are, the more likely it will run poorly/not run at all (lol like 8 cyl vs 4 cyl). this goes to show how universal pcm's can function. generally speaking most EFI systems work somewhat similarly.. they function off lookup tables based on the input from sensors. they do a little math and send outputs to the injectors, icm, gauges, etc..

Sven you totally quarterloafed your computer..
Monday, October 03, 2005 9:10 AM
sorry to babble on, but you can only truely tell by looking at the serial number on the pcm, even then you only know what year/engine comboes that computer served. if you have any doubts check the serial num and if possible, get it reflashed at a dealership to the right vin (year/engine)

there are posts in here that say the pcm family serial nums and the year/engine combos they served, but you may have to dig for em

hope i helped

Sven you totally quarterloafed your computer..
Monday, October 03, 2005 9:40 AM
stupid question but where is the pcm i cant find it?

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 4:30 PM
IIRC, the 95-01 is in the right fender, while 02-05 is by the right stut tower.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 7:45 PM
so can i directly unplug my 99 computer and plug in a 2000 if i bought one and got the s/c reflash done to it? or what would it take to do this, because i am sereiously interested in doing it...
Friday, October 21, 2005 2:45 PM
guys? any help here?
Friday, October 21, 2005 3:18 PM
I dont think so.I think you have to swap in the bcm also.Im not positive,so correct me if im wrong.I would love to be able to swap in a reflashed pcm for my vortech on my 98z.Does anyone have any info to do this?

Peter
'06 Cobalt ss/sc W/G85 Package
Gm Stage II W/2.79" Pulley
K&N Drop In Filter
Custom Magnaflow Dual Exhaust

Friday, October 21, 2005 5:55 PM
You will need the 2k dash, 2k PCM and 2k BCM.
Friday, October 21, 2005 11:03 PM
IF your car is a 96, then ur still using ur 96 pcm. The 2k motor can be used with 96 injectors/pcm etc, but 2k+ pcms require you a 2k bcm and 2k ip cluster which leads to diff wiring throughout car. So no, you don't have a 2k pcm.

Nate

Evolution of Cavyboy-->C22t--> C24na--->c24s/c
1995 Cavalier W/2k1 Engine
GM S/C 13.940@99.78pmh w/2.068 60ft
Sunday, October 23, 2005 4:21 PM
well i know where i can get the ecm, bcm, and instrument cluster but will all of that work in a 99 (its a 99 not a 96) wiring harness? or will i need the whole 2000 wiring harness and how complicated would it be to change? i cant just plug up the ecm in the old ones place or are the computers different where they plug in?
Sunday, October 23, 2005 7:58 PM
If it's the same motor type and transmission, all you'll need to do is have the computer go into 'learn-mode' (from using a scanner).

Example:
My 99 cav has a 2200 and a 5 speed, it hit a jersey barrier and destroyed the PCM.

I used a PCM from a 96 with a 2200 and 5 speed.

Tried to start it and it entered Anti-Theft mode.
Spent a few minutes clearing codes, then the made the computer go into 'learn-mode'

10 minutes of the anti-theft light flashing, then it went out, and the engine runs (when the PCM enters learn mode, the anti-theft light will flash for 10 minutes and then extinguish).

Now... if you use a compatible PCM (same engine/tranny) but not native to that car, it will enter Anti-Theft mode, where you can start the car, and it will die within seconds (the computer locks out the fuel).

However, if you use a completely incompatible PCM, it will only enter Anti-Theft mode, and will not be able to learn without a re-flash. For instance, I tried a PCM from a 98 GMC Sonoma (2200 automatic) and wasn't able to get the PCM into learn mode.

Sunday, October 23, 2005 8:00 PM
Erm, not Sonoma... thinking of the Sonoma that I ripped the engine out of today... anyways, the PCM that failed I had only labeled "98 GM 2.2L auto"

Monday, October 24, 2005 8:25 PM
so if i got this 00 cavalier 5spd 2.4l pcm......
pluged it in to my 99......
let it go to learn mode (elaborate mor on how to do this).....
took it to the daeler and got it reflased to my car......
and then got the s/c reflash.. and the map &injectors.....
id be in good shape......
Monday, October 24, 2005 10:04 PM
no you can not plug a 2000 PCM into your 99.. you will notice that the dash doesnt work right and the PCM will get really pissed off. In 2000+ GM introduced a body control module in addition to the PCM.. the BCM takes care of functions like the dash and some other things. This lets the PCM do its job, run the power train. a 2k pcm will not correctly communicate with a dash, as the 2k pcm is only programmed to communicate with the bcm. If you get the BCM, PCM, IC, and wiring harness from a 2k. if you search the threads (I believe theres a post under the electronics) you will find posts from people who have sucessfully swapped PCM's and got the S/C reflash on a pre 2k vehicle. Do not be fooled into thinking a 2k PCM is going to work, the car will either not start or the dash will not work or both.. good luck
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 2:40 PM
Could I use a 2002 2.4 computer in my 2001 or would taht not work?

Thanx Charles
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search