Trifecta - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Trifecta
Wednesday, December 15, 2010 4:16 PM
Is anyone running one of their tunes? I heard Vince over there knows his sh*t. Just a question. If you are, do you like it?

"Vroom."
"Yo I wouldn't race him, there's not even an interior in his car man."
"Vrooooooom PSSSSHHH!"
"Oh sh*t. F*ck that, dude..."

Re: Trifecta
Wednesday, December 15, 2010 5:14 PM
I have heard good things about them but nothing is as good as a actual tuning session with the car itself. You will never have a prefect tune or reach full power through trifecta.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 5:21 PM
Yeah I know. But unfortuneatly my tuner is a flake and I'm sick of it. I've gotta find something.

"Vroom."
"Vrooooooom PSSSSHHH!"

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 5:46 PM
Based on your mods, I would not recommend a "remote"/mail order tune. You could easy blow your engine during the tuning process as you won't be able to see the actual datalogging. Don't take this as a bashing Trifecta, because I am not doing anything of the such. As a matter of fact, I am a Trifecta dealer.... Have you tried looking for other tuners in your region? I am taking it your tuner is still giving you the run around?

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 6:08 PM
Jim, Hop on azgmp, get to know people and talk to Thomas. He tunes for stupid cheap....just buy the credits and work the rest out.

Friday, December 17, 2010 1:08 PM
Trifecta does nice work. For the money, you'll get considerable capability and experience. As far as remote tuning goes, you won't find anyone better.

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Sunday, December 19, 2010 11:57 AM
I am tuned by Vince
Have been since Aug and no problems yet, besides my gas mileage; which I've been advised to change the exhaust manifold gasket as it's leaking, and could cause my gas problem

Buddy Club Ecotec Cavalier
* More to come *
Sunday, December 19, 2010 2:36 PM
Jay Corkit wrote:I am tuned by Vince
Have been since Aug and no problems yet, besides my gas mileage; which I've been advised to change the exhaust manifold gasket as it's leaking, and could cause my gas problem
You are also N/A... As I said before, Vince is a good tuner, and I agree with Bill with Vince being the best remote tuner out there, but based on the OP's mods and our sh!tty PCM, a remote tune is not ideal....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Sunday, December 19, 2010 2:49 PM
All good
I was just responding to the main question on if I like it or not

Buddy Club Ecotec Cavalier
* More to come *
Tuesday, December 21, 2010 9:33 PM
Thanks to all feedback. Still searching for someone in my area to tune my car because yes, my so called tuner is a FLAKE.

"Vroom."
"Vrooooooom PSSSSHHH!"

Friday, December 24, 2010 8:00 AM
QWK LN2 (P&P Tuning) wrote:
You are also N/A... As I said before, Vince is a good tuner, and I agree with Bill with Vince being the best remote tuner out there, but based on the OP's mods and our sh!tty PCM, a remote tune is not ideal....

Guess what happens when the remote tuner starts hearing detonation? Nothing because he doesn't hear it.

Hahn Stage II - Mitsu TD06-20g |3" Turbo-back Exhaust | 61mm Bored TB |
HP Tuners | Innovate WB02 | Spec Stage 3 | Team Green LSD | TurboTech Upper | Full Addco Sways | Sportlines & Yellows |

Friday, December 24, 2010 10:32 AM
BlackEco wrote:
QWK LN2 (P&P Tuning) wrote:

Guess what happens when the remote tuner starts hearing detonation? Nothing because he doesn't hear it.
Exactly! And the fact that you don't see live datalogging so you don't know if anything else is going on either.....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Saturday, December 25, 2010 10:25 AM
I've been looking at this as well. I'm not sure I fully understand so it would be cool if you guys could clarify. You pay the tuning price and deposit fee and they send you the rough tune and datalogging equipment. Then you install the rough tune and datalog. Then they send you an updated finer tuned file? Then if everything works out you send back the equipment and get your deposit back... It seems pretty legit, but I guess the problem would be that original rough tune blowing your motor before you could finish datalogging. Do i have it right?

Sunday, December 26, 2010 9:26 AM
In effective remote tuning, the starting tunes are very conservative, not unlike "in person" tuning. Experienced remote tuners like Trifecta have been this route hundreds of times, and know how to creep up on an effective tune without issues. Detonation damage is a very minor concern, for Trifecta are not only quite familiar with the application and the reasonable parameters as they ramp up the details, they are also logging knock retard activity. Safe, quality tuning should never encounter damaging detonation, whether in-person or remote.

For me, it boils down to this: Remote tuning is not advisable for radical combinations that include high boost and/or unique aspects like high compression ratios. Such a car should always be tuned by an expert in person. If one builds such a car, and cannot afford to employ the services of such a professional...one has simply blown the mission, and left themselves in the wrong position. One should only build what one can afford to finish.

On the other hand...for the average turbo car, street driven, that should be tuned conservatively for long-term durability and enjoyment...Trifecta is more than capable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, December 26, 2010 12:03 PM

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

www.turbosystem.com

Sunday, December 26, 2010 10:11 AM
Efilive with its autocal now eliminates all those problems of remote tuning. Tuner emails you a tune. Customer flashes it in. Runs it does some logging sends it back. The tuner just makes some adjustments and customer flashes it back in. Pretty simple and trouble free. Time will tell.
Sunday, December 26, 2010 10:20 AM
Bill Hahn Jr. wrote:In effective remote tuning, the starting tunes are very conservative, not unlike "in person" tuning. Effective remote tuners like Trifecta have been this route hundreds of times, and know how to creep up on an effective tune without issues. Detonation damage is a very minor concern, for Trifecta are not only quite familiar with the application and the reasonable parameters as they ramp up the details, they are also logging knock retard activity. Safe, quality tuning should never encounter damagging detonation, whether in-person or remote.

For me, it boils down to this: Remote tuning is not advisable for radical combinations that would include high boost and/or unique aspects like high compression rations. Such a car should always be tuned by an expert in person. If one builds such a car, and cannot afford to employ the services of such a professional...one has simply blown the mission, and left themselves in the wrong position. One should only build what one can afford to finish.

On the other hand...for the average turbo car, street driven, that should be tuned conservatively for long-term durability and enjoyment...Trifecta is more than capable.
Well said
Tuesday, December 28, 2010 2:52 PM
Jim... Vince emailed me and told me that they do not offer tuning of boosted cavaliers because the stock ecm cannot be tuned properly... so I think that's out of the question for both of us... I'd love to have QWK LN2 make an hpt tune for us... hint hint

...I am the BEST at what I do...
"I guess your right[BlueBoost]. Me and my slow car are failers."

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 3:19 PM
Its not real hard for a tuner to tune one of these pcm's. Just make sure you use someone that has tuned these ecm's with boost. You will probably need to get it dyno tuned, because a tuner will not be comfortable with this alpha-n setup by remote tuning. Unless they have the experience with this pcm. I tuned my pcm fine with a turbo and 15-20lbs boost. Just shy of 320 rwhp.
Tuesday, December 28, 2010 3:23 PM
tom jones wrote:Its not real hard for a tuner to tune one of these pcm's. Just make sure you use someone that has tuned these ecm's with boost. You will probably need to get it dyno tuned, because a tuner will not be comfortable with this alpha-n setup by remote tuning. Unless they have the experience with this pcm. I tuned my pcm fine with a turbo and 15-20lbs boost. Just shy of 320 rwhp.

What turbo? 16G?

"Vroom."
"Vrooooooom PSSSSHHH!"

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 3:31 PM
t3-t4
Tuesday, December 28, 2010 11:02 PM
Damn, GET SOME Tom! Good work.

"Vroom."
"Vrooooooom PSSSSHHH!"

Thursday, December 30, 2010 1:51 PM
BlueBoost (Itsjustacavalier) wrote:Jim... Vince emailed me and told me that they do not offer tuning of boosted cavaliers because the stock ecm cannot be tuned properly...
Makes perfect sense...same reason why we don't promote the concept.

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

www.turbosystem.com

Friday, December 31, 2010 7:21 AM
Word big bird... word... it would be nice if you sold the port fueler system separate from the manifold...then I'd buy it and run it...

...I am the BEST at what I do...
"I guess your right[BlueBoost]. Me and my slow car are failers."

Friday, December 31, 2010 7:34 AM
BlueBoost (Itsjustacavalier) wrote:Word big bird... word... it would be nice if you sold the port fueler system separate from the manifold...then I'd buy it and run it...

http://www.splitsec.com/products/aic1/AIC1.htm

There you go
Friday, December 31, 2010 1:08 PM
BlueBoost (Itsjustacavalier) wrote:Word big bird... word... it would be nice if you sold the port fueler system separate from the manifold...then I'd buy it and run it...

I hear ya, but...You'd have to create your own solution for mounting the injectors. For what it's worth, for the power and boost levels PortFueler typically supports, the stock intake isn't your best choice anyway...so replacing it with a proven unit such as our makes perfect sense.

We've done this without the manifold on a number of other vehicles using this approach below, but it won't fit on the Ecotec with the stock intake manifold doe to spatial restraints:

Now, as Philly D notes, you CAN buy just the control module, but that would still far fall short of a "system", which is what you asked for, and is also what we've developed. Were you to just purchase a control module from someone other than us, you'd have to fill in numerous gaps. You'd also miss the chance to support a company that's supported this platform rather loyally for many years

Were you interested in purchasing the system from us less the manifold, I'm listening. We've sold partial and/or a la carte versions of PortFueler many times!

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

www.turbosystem.com

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search