Shafted or no??? - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Shafted or no???
Thursday, November 04, 2010 11:13 AM
So my z is a 98, after doing a like a whole mess of reading on tuing the 98 alpha n pcm Ive come to the conclusion that im screwed as far as a fake 2 bar setup. Anyone think otherwise?
I was reading some posts about someone a long time ago working on a decent fake 2bar tune and they were making progress...did they stop working on it?
Im sure someone who has actually tuned these pcms can shed some light on this for me. I just need to know if its possible to tune it to read positive manifold pressure and add fuel accordingly. Not looking for 1000whp or anything, just a very well mannered 200-250whp...need to know if i should just stay n/a and throw n2o at it.

Re: Shafted or no???
Thursday, November 04, 2010 1:39 PM
Your 98 is speed density not alpha n. Alpha n applies to the late 02 to 05 eco ecm, unless of course you have an eco swap. If your going boosted you can just flash the supercharger 2bar tune to the ecm. If your spraying, then you don't need the 2 bar tune because your car will not see boost. I have never tuned a speed density yet, but it should be a little easier than the alpha n.

Save your money. It might be worth something someday.

Thursday, November 04, 2010 1:52 PM
Rare5spd wrote:Your 98 is speed density not alpha n. Alpha n applies to the late 02 to 05 eco ecm, unless of course you have an eco swap. If your going boosted you can just flash the supercharger 2bar tune to the ecm. If your spraying, then you don't need the 2 bar tune because your car will not see boost. I have never tuned a speed density yet, but it should be a little easier than the alpha n.
Where do you get your info? Its inaccurate to say the least....... To the OP, what exactly are you doing or trying to accomplish?

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Thursday, November 04, 2010 1:53 PM
Rare5spd wrote:Your 98 is speed density not alpha n. Alpha n applies to the late 02 to 05 eco ecm, unless of course you have an eco swap. If your going boosted you can just flash the supercharger 2bar tune to the ecm. If your spraying, then you don't need the 2 bar tune because your car will not see boost. I have never tuned a speed density yet, but it should be a little easier than the alpha n.

WRONG!!!

His car is Alpha N. He can not flash the GM reflash to his 98.

Still 250whp is easy to make with boost using your ECU. People on this site was making that before we had HPT.

Your ECU does not have to read boost to be tuned for boost. Yes it does make for a much better tune and much easier to do if the ECU reads boost.

FU Tuning

Thursday, November 04, 2010 3:59 PM
Intersting. I was under the impression that all pre 2002 had map based tables for VE.

Save your money. It might be worth something someday.

Thursday, November 04, 2010 5:05 PM
I just want a reliable 200-250 whp..looking into getitng into autox a lil and my car is kinda poochy. I know it can be tuned for WOT conditions with boost but what im needing answered is..can part throttle be tuned in as well? I already got injectors,fmic,piping,turbo,just gotta a manifold to suit my flange choice. plus im not in a super hurry to blow my LD9 up.... will the stock oil pump be ok with the added oil consumption of the turbo?

Thursday, November 04, 2010 8:55 PM
Rare5spd wrote:Intersting. I was under the impression that all pre 2002 had map based tables for VE.

Nope GM went full retard in 1997.

Translation, GM took a car with the capability to be speed density and decided to give it the harder for them to program alpha-n in 1997. To this day I have not found an engineer that knows about cars that can explain what made sense to GM to do that.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Tuesday, November 09, 2010 2:59 PM
I have a 98 too- What I was going to do before i decided to part out my car bc I got sick of the rediculous bull@!#$ (such as this). I was going to swap to a 00-02 pcm, repin the harness and add 1 pin because the knock sensors are different, but then you lose the tach and temp gauges I believe, but maybe more, so I had to wire in external gauges. The 00-02 has a bcm which obviously the 96-99's lack. That is the reason for losing the gauges I think. I was then going to get the gc s/c reflash on it and go from there...

Blew it up, build numbers coming soon
Sunday, November 14, 2010 8:14 PM
Anyone else that has messed with the pre 2k pcm wanna chime in here....I really kinda need to know if I need to keep or sell my megasquirt(needing cash),also can the megasquirt be piggybacked in to run fuel and spark and keep factory gauges and what not for a untouched look? On a lighter note I had also contemplated trying a FMU in conjunction with a tune. But anyway....someone chime in here....

Saturday, January 08, 2011 10:54 AM
Bump for discussion, Seeking answers

Saturday, January 08, 2011 11:29 AM
It can be tuned without the megasquirt........

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Saturday, January 08, 2011 12:58 PM
Slowzee wrote:Anyone else that has messed with the pre 2k pcm wanna chime in here....I really kinda need to know if I need to keep or sell my megasquirt(needing cash),also can the megasquirt be piggybacked in to run fuel and spark and keep factory gauges and what not for a untouched look? On a lighter note I had also contemplated trying a FMU in conjunction with a tune. But anyway....someone chime in here....

Yes...but I wouldn't call it "piggybacked" when it is doing all the work.

I have no signiture
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search