Bricked ECM REALLY FRUSTRATED! - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Bricked ECM REALLY FRUSTRATED!
Tuesday, January 11, 2011 7:47 PM
I tried to flash my tune on my O7 LE5 Ion and the car battery died. So now when I hook up the car battery the passlock freaks out because it can't find the VIN nor the ECU. HPTuners did not finishing flashing the tune since the battery was dead. HPTuners after that couldn't find a VIN attached to the vehicle, even if I typed it in, nor does it find power to the OBDII port. So I have a nice bricked paperweight.

My ECM

Was told this was an LE5 07 ION

Looking on car-part.com I have come across G6, SRX, CTS, VUE, IONs etc with 12605843 service number like mine, as well as 2.2L61 IONS, G6, SRX, CTS, VUE's etc and I am really getting frustrated as the one I purchased was $35 and Schrams wants $85 and others want $125-$275. I have found other ones with the same service numbers for $30-$35 but I really need to know what is vital and what isn't.

Cross compatibility looks to be E67 throughout vehicles but engine options don't matter for shops if they are using a tecII and completely reprogramming and rewriting the VIN and protocols.

I am having the understanding that if it is out of an LE5 changing the VIN and the relearn/rewrite would be doable because of the engine parameters using my HPTuners Pro

I really just need to know if I can use this ECM using HPT or would I need a tecII reprogram if its indeed a 2.2 ECM? 07 Ion 2.2 and 2.4 engines use the E67 ECM..

Getting frustrated!
I know its not a J but this is my DD and I am working on it in a cold a$$ hell storage unit in Michigan weather!

BLOWN2POINT4 Ion Quad Coupe Autotragic
Powered By Harrop TVS Made By Tupperware
TVS, LS4 TB, 80's, OTTP Port&Polish I/M DualPass, OTTP H/E, Pacesetter Header, Full 3" Exhaust

Re: Bricked ECM REALLY FRUSTRATED!
Tuesday, January 11, 2011 7:49 PM
Forgot email replies

TVS, LS4 TB, 80's, OTTP Port&Polish I/M DualPass, OTTP H/E, Pacesetter Header, Full 3" Exhaust
Tuesday, January 11, 2011 9:23 PM
Both ECM/ECU/PCM however you refer to it, are both E67 but with differnt service numbers. I really need to know if i need one with the same service number or not. If I can use HPTuners to change VIN and write complete on the one I purchased, great if not I can get one with the same service number and return the one I bought.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 6:23 AM
1. Have you verified you have power at the ALDL?
2. Why would you even think about flashing with low battery voltage?
3. Have you tried to do a Write Entire with your stock/original file?

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 1:04 PM
Failing all that, have you tried to take it to the dealer and get them to flash it again with your own vin? Heck if it fails for them you might be able to get a new pcm on the house depending on your warranty status.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Friday, January 14, 2011 11:21 AM
Unfortunately it's called Michigan weather... it was 60 degrees and then it froze overnight and we saw 3 feet of snow in that day in November. I was going to flash it for the 80lbs so I could move it. The 2 foot long ice sticks that melt a little then fall where right above my car. I didn't think a day of sitting in freezing weather would kill my battery.

Already charged the car battery, and tried an entire write with my stock file, comes up with the warning of no ECU found.

Powertrain warranty is still good so idk if the dealer will flash the car or not...