Professional Tuned or Start Learning - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Professional Tuned or Start Learning
Wednesday, February 02, 2011 12:15 PM
Sooner than later I will be adding mods to my car that require fine tuning the ECM. I am very interested in tuning and am wanting to learn but not sure it would be the best path as I don't have access to a dyno ( that I know of ) and I would have to learn rather quickly as I would need to tune my daily driver before I can drive it daily. Which would you suggest? I havn't started looking for local GM tuners yet.

Re: Professional Tuned or Start Learning
Wednesday, February 02, 2011 3:00 PM
From what I understand you don't necessarily need a dynometer to tune a car, you can do what is called "street tune " or a "dyno tune" like you said. Which one you chose is gonna depend alot on the mods your adding for example, if you stay with just basic bolt-ons (no boost nor nitrous) a street tune will do it, but if you add a turbo or supercharger system you wanna make sure and get dyno tuned. Street tunes usually cost less because your not paying to use their dyno etc... but dyno tuning is more accurate and you get a print out showing your hp and tq numbers. Either way you do it make sure you install an air/fuel gauge first, so you can monitor the mixture. Good luck!!

peformance parts for sale!! Click:
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/engine/62265/
Wednesday, February 02, 2011 3:21 PM
Yea might as well get it professionally tuned since a supercharger is what I am going to purchase after my exhaust is done. Still considering purchasing my own HP Tuner kit so I can mess with it a bit myself though.
Wednesday, February 02, 2011 4:54 PM
Actually street tuning is better(if you can do it safely), because on a dyno you dont have the airflow threw the engine/cooling systems like it would be on the street(making it less accurate). And that is where the car is going to be operating the most. Dyno tune for max hp, but street tune for day to day reliability. Also just an air/fuel gauge wont do crap, you need a wideband system.

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 5:17 PM
Thanks Tinkles, this is very encouraging. Being as I really have no HP goals as of yet I think I will purchase my own HP Tuner and learn and eventually put it on a dyno once I demand more HP!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search