Tuning needed for Meth ? - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tuning needed for Meth ?
Friday, February 04, 2011 1:21 AM
I was looking around and searching, but didnt really find what I wanted.

I have a perfect tune on my car right now, and everything is where it should be on a m45 w/ 2.6 pulley, but I am wanting to add meth as a precautionary measure because im hitting 10 lbs of boost on a motor that is only lightly modded and I am only wanting to make it safer, not really wanting it to make it faster.

I was wondering if I would I have to re-tune, because the tune is great, and I didnt tune it, but a respectable org member did, but the previous owner had it done and not me. So im wanting to leave the tune alone.

If I did have to tune I have a wideband, and access to HPT and I got the meth kit for a good price. So I don't want to ruin this tune by playing with stuff I dont know a lot about, but I would like to run this kit to be safe.I am just looking to lower temps and knock by just installing it and using up the progressive controller.

I appreciate any help on this subject I can get. I am not new to boost, but I haven't had a meth setup before so just looking for suggestions.

Also, if It was running richer because of the meth, could I just pull some timing to get it back to its current AFR?Then id gain a little power and still keep it reliable?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, February 04, 2011 1:43 AM

Re: Tuning needed for Meth ?
Friday, February 04, 2011 6:14 AM
Adding a meth kit is going to make it run richer. How much richer will depend on what mix of meth you run. So yes a retune will be needed. Plus lower IAT temps will change things. You can always save the current tune and tune with meth. If it does not workout then go back to the current tune and drop meth. in all seriousness you need to have meth on the car with the 2.6 pulley.

FU Tuning

Friday, February 04, 2011 6:19 AM
I've got to agree, meth will need tuning, your tune was done by Ryan Egleston I believe, but if I remember right that car used to have meth. Maybe Ryan still has the old tune when it had the meth???

Friday, February 04, 2011 6:23 AM
thats thats what I needed to know, I just really didnt want to screw up the tune, but I will use it as a base and adjust the tables from there. Also, It didnt have meth before, the previous owner was in the process of installing a Snow kit and I was gonna get the kit but it would have needed a re-tune and I didnt want any issues driving it home from Chicago, so I told him not to hook it up, so he sold it to his brother for his eclipse and I was gonna buy one at a later date. Which was last night lol.

Paul, I bought Bens meth kit since he went back to stock. So I was wondering all I would need to do. I will save Ryans tune, and put the meth in and probably pull some more timing to try to even it out, Ben is good at tuning it, so ill let him do it. I just wasnt sure if I needed to buy more credits or not lol.

Friday, February 04, 2011 4:09 PM
Quote:

put the meth in and probably pull some more timing to try to even it out

What exactly are you trying to even out?

Running meth usually allows you to run more timing safely.

FU Tuning

Friday, February 04, 2011 4:21 PM
I was going to pull timing to lean out the AFR if it was running to rich once the meth is installed to get it back to 11.8

The upgrade is really just for safety and not really trying to make it quicker, but if I could use the tune that is on there and just pull more timing to get back to proper AFR once the meth is installed and its not running too rich and be a little quick that would be nice too.

Friday, February 04, 2011 5:04 PM
Karnage wrote:I was going to pull timing to lean out the AFR if it was running to rich once the meth is installed to get it back to 11.8

The upgrade is really just for safety and not really trying to make it quicker, but if I could use the tune that is on there and just pull more timing to get back to proper AFR once the meth is installed and its not running too rich and be a little quick that would be nice too.

Your not going to lean it out enough by pulling timing. You are going to need to retune the VE tables, then worry about timing.

FU Tuning

Saturday, February 05, 2011 10:31 PM
jeff, just let me worry about the tuning lol

Saturday, February 05, 2011 10:43 PM
I am, just trying to get a little info, and also see if I had to buy credits again for this car lol.

Saturday, February 12, 2011 6:17 AM
Jeff is exactly right. I was in the process of installing a Snow Kit on it because I also had the OD Crank Pulley about to go on. The car run's completely fine for how little it see's boost on the 2.6" blower pulley without Meth. There is zero knock throughout the whole iat tempature range with a perfect afr. When temps started to go up I stopped hard acceleration. I have the tune saved for this car along with a few other ones somewhere in my laptops. But in order for you to gain full potential of a methanol injection system a retune is needed. You can run it without a new tune but you won't gain as much power. Just run a smaller jet and add more distilled water than methanol for good heat disipation. You shouldnt need a retune , it's not going to run pig rich with a progressive controller. You will need more credits unless you had my hp pro interface which I do have but my next car is a C5 and I will need it for that.

Check this post for some awesome methanol results on a Supercharged RSX type S . It really shows the full potential of Meth injection when tuned properly. Jeff call or text me anytime for questions about the tune or the car in general. Did you get that NSK Bearing?
clubrsx
Saturday, February 12, 2011 6:48 AM
Dragracemyz24 wrote:Jeff is exactly right. I was in the process of installing a Snow Kit on it because I also had the OD Crank Pulley about to go on. The car run's completely fine for how little it see's boost on the 2.6" blower pulley without Meth. There is zero knock throughout the whole iat tempature range with a perfect afr. When temps started to go up I stopped hard acceleration. I have the tune saved for this car along with a few other ones somewhere in my laptops. But in order for you to gain full potential of a methanol injection system a retune is needed. You can run it without a new tune but you won't gain as much power. Just run a smaller jet and add more distilled water than methanol for good heat disipation. You shouldnt need a retune , it's not going to run pig rich with a progressive controller. You will need more credits unless you had my hp pro interface which I do have but my next car is a C5 and I will need it for that.

Check this post for some awesome methanol results on a Supercharged RSX type S . It really shows the full potential of Meth injection when tuned properly. Jeff call or text me anytime for questions about the tune or the car in general. Did you get that NSK Bearing?
clubrsx

It will need a retune regardless. If adding a meth kit.

FU Tuning

Saturday, February 12, 2011 7:36 AM
If you are running mostly water a retune is NOT needed. There is a difference between should and need. Even when running meth, if you are running on the rich side, a tune is NOT needed - although it is a good idea.
Saturday, February 12, 2011 9:07 AM
Wagonwes wrote:If you are running mostly water a retune is NOT needed. There is a difference between should and need. Even when running meth, if you are running on the rich side, a tune is NOT needed - although it is a good idea.

I don't think people realize how much meth richens things up. Also the difference in IAT's changes the tune as well. Cooler IAT can mean more boost, which could require more fuel.

FU Tuning

Saturday, February 12, 2011 9:23 AM
Luke, I dont have a reseller of the bearings anywhere in my area and cant find a place online,but im sure im overlooking it. Do you happen to know a place online where I can order one? If you dont, ill keep looking and may have to go down to indy to try to find a place.

Also, I bought the HPT credits and we have the wideband and tune will be backed up, so I will tune it to see if I can get it running pretty decent with the meth. I just didnt want to mess with the good tune, but It shouldnt be too hard for Ben, I just havent done it myself, but he is confident I can get a retune to take advantage, but I will def. heed the advice on here and figure all of this info into the tune, and just make it run a little cooler, and hopefully when I replace the idler pulley bearing and get meth on here it will be just nice and reliable, its already plenty quick

Saturday, February 12, 2011 9:11 PM
Water/meth is not considerate like bolt-on performance modification. You need to retune for best performance and best fuel consumption.

Boost Lover
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search