Getting re-tuned with bigger injectors. Do I need the car on a DYNO? - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Getting re-tuned with bigger injectors. Do I need the car on a DYNO?
Sunday, February 13, 2011 8:53 AM
Hey Guys,

I was tuned last when I did a LE5 manifold swap. However, my LSJ injectors were not working. I was tuned on stock injectors. I am now ready to put in new LSJ injectors and get the top end power I wasn't able to get using the stock injectors. My question is: Do I need to the put the car on a dyno while I get it customed tuned. My tuner does not have a dyno. Using the fuel pressure, injector size and constant, I wlll have new scaling tables pasted in where my last tune left off. My tuner will use a wideband, but the car will not be on a dyno. I have got my car tuned twice and its always been on a dyno. So, can I still get a great street tune that will squeeze all the power out of the car without it being on a dyno? I can take the car to a dyno after it is tuned to see what my final whp numbers are, that's fine. What do you guys suggest?
Thanks!

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Re: Getting re-tuned with bigger injectors. Do I need the car on a DYNO?
Sunday, February 13, 2011 9:20 AM
How do you plan on running through the RPM range with load? City streets?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Sunday, February 13, 2011 12:30 PM
No idea if I have to. I'm not familiar with the process. I just know that I need a ECU remap to extract power. I have an existing tune, so I don't know if that makes the difference why I would not use a dyno in this case for retuning.

Sunday, February 13, 2011 2:24 PM
When I did mine I street tuned it. Just went through as many rpms I could. All I did was launch and accelerate up to the speed limit and pull over and do it again and again. I was on a highway with medians and no one was around.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, February 13, 2011 2:25 PM

Sunday, February 13, 2011 2:28 PM
Dont NEED one.... but it is the most accurate way to tune a car regardless of the load on it.

Sunday, February 13, 2011 2:55 PM
I thought street was better considering you have wind drag etc were as on a dyno you don't.

Sunday, February 13, 2011 3:31 PM
Best part throttle drive-ability is tuned on the street, and best WOT is on a dyno. You need both to have the best possible tune.
Sunday, February 13, 2011 3:39 PM
Wagonwes wrote:Best part throttle drive-ability is tuned on the street, and best WOT is on a dyno. You need both to have the best possible tune.

Agreed.

Sunday, February 13, 2011 3:47 PM
Not sure what to do. I want maximum performance from the tune. Ill have to see if we can tune on the dyno.

Sunday, February 13, 2011 4:09 PM
No you do not need a dyno to get a good tune. It is the safest way, because you do not have to worry about cops and safety of others.

I prefer to street tune, the use the dyno for fine tuning timing.

FU Tuning

Sunday, February 13, 2011 5:28 PM
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:No you do not need a dyno to get a good tune. It is the safest way, because you do not have to worry about cops and safety of others.

I prefer to street tune, the use the dyno for fine tuning timing.

Yep. You can't always count on MBT being a degree before knock starts. And the seat-of-the-pants is usually not the best option for getting the timing spot on.

Monday, February 14, 2011 6:33 AM
Most power will come on a dyno, and only use an eddy current style dyno for tuning since it can vary load and you can hit every single cell on the ve map using this type of dyno. Mustang is the most common brand name for this kind of dyno. Not only does it let you tune WOT for max power but you can tune everything else on the ve map, even spots that your would never be able to replicate on the street. Dynojet and other inertia dyno's are for making big dyno queen numbers.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Friday, February 18, 2011 5:43 AM
Thanks for the info. I decided to street tune it. Just added new exhaust with 2.5 inch piping.
So a few more variables now but tuner reassures me that he can optimize tune. Will keep u posted.
I am at 166 Whp on stock injectors but I had exhaust and header leaks!! Didnt realize until i had the car checked out before re tuning. Put a delay on tuning but would not want to tune with leaks anyway. So I have purchased a new header as well. I hope to see 180 Whp after tune.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search