Help get me driving again... - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Help get me driving again...
Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:15 PM
Well fellas, I am in need of some help with my HPT tune. Now there a few questions I need answered. Before you ask or say, yes I have looked at the stickys but I do NOT have HPT to view as I’m reading the them, so I’m not really understanding what’s being explained.

Last year I made 303hp and 286lb tq on 15psi on my current tune. I had some 680cc injectors installed with that setup. This time around I have 1100cc injectors with LOTS of other fuel upgrades, HO cams, and a custom Intake.

My problem is that I need to start the car to drive it to my new garage; however I do not want to start it on my current tune and wash down my cylinders. I need to turn down my injector constant right? With that, what else needs changed?

With the help of Mike MDLD9, he came up with the constant formula for me

So for your old injectors....680cc/min
0.20250 x (23.96/64.67) = .07502

So for your new injectors....1100cc/min
0.20250 x (23.96/104.61) = .04638

So, would that be ok to edit my current tune to .04638?
What else needs changed?

Chuck(03LSport) is going to be adding the changes to my car until I can get dyno tuned. He should be posting here in a bit.

Also, I can send someone my current tune to give me some pointers on other things I can change. I think I wasn’t tuned right and the car had more in it, I think my tuner got frustrated and just stuck me with something to drive.

I remember on the track that I was 10.0 afr at WOT. I knew that was wrong, but nothing I could do about it.

So, PLEASE HELP

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ

Re: Help get me driving again...
Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:54 PM
To add...
I have yet to scan his vehicle, but I do have his last tune. His last tune has the injector constant set at 0.16720. However, if the formula above is correct, the tune on his car right now should have the constant setting of 0.07502, right? To me, something does not seem right with the numbers. Also, I am not an HPT pro my any means. I have not had the time to fully get a good grasp on what HPT has to offer. I am definitely still learning as I go. My plan is to simply get this car drivable so that it can be tuned professionally, any help is appreciated.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:56 PM
Its going to want more fuel with the HO cams and the new intake manifold. But I think as long as you correct the injector constant and stay out of boost baby it while monitoring you afr, if you have that gauge, you'll be ok. Im no expert though but thats what I would do.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 8:00 PM
Thanks Chuck for chiming in.

Cory, yep I have a WB, I just want to drive it from once place to another out of boost. Then eventually up on a trailer.

306 TQ
Thursday, March 10, 2011 8:00 PM
just vice grip the fuel line

i really have no idea i just wanted to wish you luck

Thursday, March 10, 2011 8:07 PM
LOL, sad thing is that when I read your comment, I was like "why would I do that?" hahaha

306 TQ
Friday, March 11, 2011 4:25 AM
You couldn't put the injectors it was tuined with in and baby it on over to get tuned then put the new ones back in ?

Friday, March 11, 2011 5:05 AM
Good thought Nate, but I already sold them last year. I thought by now that I would have a tune for these injectors

306 TQ
Friday, March 11, 2011 7:04 AM
Are you still running a 97 ECU and program? You haven't switched to a 00+? Just asking.

I would like to see a copy of your tune. My guess is the tuner probably played with the constant and IPW vs Vac file and get it where he had it. So with that being true the constant you came up with will likely be way off, but who knows to what end.

I think I would start the car as is watch your WB and see what it idles at.

Do you have a AFPR?

FU Tuning

Friday, March 11, 2011 8:45 AM
I never post on here anymore but saw your plight and wanted to help an old friend:

David, what is your fuel pressure currently set for? (Base pressure)

I have an injector constant from a few years ago when I ran my 1000cc RCEngineering injectors on a 1 bar setup... the only caveat is that I was running 25-26 psi of base fuel pressure with that tune but if anything it should get you close and get you to the shop to get it fully tuned. The car idled at 15.5 ish afr and drove around just fine, just a minor cold start problem when autumn came. If you have an AFPR (I assume you do) you can just dial your base pressure down a tidge and drop in my constant and it should at least get you VERY close.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll get you that constant #. This was run on a 1999 pcm setup @ 1 bar.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Friday, March 11, 2011 8:57 AM
I have a set of 550's(rc fatties) I could let you use to get there just pay for shipping to and from if that would help

Friday, March 11, 2011 9:28 AM
John, I have the 2000 ECU and GM S/C reflash currently.
Ill email you my file, the email in your REG a good one?
Yes I have an AFPR

Chris, hey man!
My fuel pressure at idle last time it was running is between 55-60
Yea get me that number constant and we can try it. I have a 2 bar set up

Nate thanks man, Ill let ya know about those.

306 TQ
Friday, March 11, 2011 9:53 AM
Got your tune. Now knowing you are running a GM reflash makes alot more sense. The stock GM reflash injector constant is 0.32359, so your new constant should be based off that.

I donlt think Chris constant will help you much as his was based off a 1 bar tune.

I'm coming up with a constant of 0.07413 for your 1100cc injectors.

I'm seeing your rev limiter at 7k.

Also are you running a FMU as well? Or just the AFPR?

FU Tuning

Friday, March 11, 2011 10:00 AM
2000 should be runnin the "skinny" bastards so I am no help to you bro sorry.

Friday, March 11, 2011 10:16 AM
John im just using the AFPR, no FMU.

So, I use 0.07413 for the constant. Is there anything else that should be changed along with that?

306 TQ
Friday, March 11, 2011 11:02 AM
I would also 0 out the Spark Retard vs. Torque reduction table. That should give you more. weird thing is that table has more than the stock GM reflash does.

FU Tuning

Friday, March 11, 2011 11:37 AM
Ok, I wish I could actually 'SEE' what your talking about. I will get with Chuck when he sees this post. Im sure we will get it figured out. We just needed help with the darn constant.

Thanks John for taking a look at it. If you come up with anything else I could change, lemme know

306 TQ
Friday, March 11, 2011 12:32 PM
WHITECAVY wrote:John, I have the 2000 ECU and GM S/C reflash currently.
Ill email you my file, the email in your REG a good one?
Yes I have an AFPR

Chris, hey man!
My fuel pressure at idle last time it was running is between 55-60
Yea get me that number constant and we can try it. I have a 2 bar set up

Nate thanks man, Ill let ya know about those.

David - I completely forgot that you were running the 2k program on your pcm... John is right the injector constant on the 2 bar setup is quite strange, although a few years ago I figured out how it worked and was able to successfully dial in two "fake" 2 bar setups using my calculation. Alas that was a long time ago and I barely remember how to setup a PID now.

I remember my constant being close to 0.034xxx when I set it up... it was a VERY small # compared to the stock constant and that was with the fuel pressure bringing the injectors down to about 750 cc at idle.

I remember when I did the "regular" constant math the car was STILL very very lean and I had to keep altering the # until it started, and then eventually idled at close to stoich.

Sorry I couldn't help more...

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Friday, March 11, 2011 3:11 PM
David, looks like your getting some good info. I say we first read your pcm to make sure the tune I have and everyone else has read is current. I'm sure you know the last tune that was on there, but it can't hurt to make sure. Then we can make some small changes and see where we are. You have a gauge on your rail right, so we can check idle pressure and adjust it? Also how soon do you want to start on this? Let me know.

Saturday, March 12, 2011 7:04 AM
Sorry I have not chimed in before now... I did not realize the email you sent me went to my spam folder or I would have responded before.... Without seeing the file opened up, the info John gave you seems to be on target. I would also advise you to lower the fuel pressure too.

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Saturday, March 12, 2011 9:36 AM
After looking over it some more. The timing tables need to be smoothed out some.

FU Tuning

Saturday, March 12, 2011 1:08 PM
Thanks guys.

Good to know John, Chuck you familar where the timing tables are?

306 TQ
Saturday, March 12, 2011 1:52 PM
WHITECAVY wrote:Thanks guys.

I know where the spark/timing settings are. I have never messed with them. You might want to have someone provide a step by step procedure. I don't feel comfortable messing with your timing unless I know exactly what to change.

Saturday, March 12, 2011 4:27 PM
03Sport wrote:

I know where the spark/timing settings are. I have never messed with them. You might want to have someone provide a step by step procedure. I don't feel comfortable messing with your timing unless I know exactly what to change.
I can provide you with a base file for that......

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Saturday, March 12, 2011 6:22 PM
QWK LN2 (P&P Tuning) wrote:
03Sport wrote:

I can provide you with a base file for that......

Understandable Chuck lol.

Ryan, sounds like a plan. What do you need, just to email it to us?

306 TQ
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search