My a/f gauge is whack - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My a/f gauge is whack
Sunday, March 13, 2011 1:50 PM
So my a/f gauge no longer gives an accurate reading. Before it use to only light up a couple lights and give an accurate reading. Now half the lights light up and bounce all over. I checked my connection where my signal wire is connected and it's fine. Can't be the ground or power wire because then i'm sure the the lights would just flicker like there's a bad connection. Anyone got any opinions?

Remember you don't just snuggle with Max Power, you strap yourself in and prepare for the G's.

Re: My a/f gauge is whack
Sunday, March 13, 2011 7:50 PM
Narrowband or wideband? If the former, it never gave an accurate reading period. If the latter, check the ground as well as the signal wire.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Monday, March 14, 2011 7:50 PM
I'm gonna say narrow band. It's an autometer a/f gauge. Replaced the O2 sensor by the cat, but that was an OEM part not universal. So i don't think the sensor would be the problem.

Remember you don't just snuggle with Max Power, you strap yourself in and prepare for the G's.
Tuesday, March 15, 2011 2:32 AM
first, you hooked it to the wrong O2 sensor.

second, narrowband gauges don't belong in the tuning forum. its a useless piece of crap, no offense. waste of money for pretty lights.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 5:53 PM
Hooked it to the sensor after the cat. Worked fine and accurate for a good 7 years. Then spun a rod bearing, replaced the motor, and thats when it started bouncing around. Wires are all good. I'm wondering if it could be the cat. I do tend to get codes saying catalyst system below thresh hold.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:30 PM
That is the wrong sensor. You sould connect it to the primary O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold. Regardless the narrowband O2 gauge is not accurate. Only a wideband gauge is.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:32 PM
Max Power wrote:Hooked it to the sensor after the cat. Worked fine and accurate for a good 7 years. Then spun a rod bearing, replaced the motor, and thats when it started bouncing around. Wires are all good. I'm wondering if it could be the cat. I do tend to get codes saying catalyst system below thresh hold.

A narrowband gauge is supposed to bounce around as your ECU is correcting fuel back and forth. Yes, it'll do so that quickly. If it's not doing that, something is wrong.

Only Widebands are accurate.

Your sensor may have stopped working because the wire came apart where you tapped in for the gauge.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:33 PM
Max Power wrote:Hooked it to the sensor after the cat. Worked fine and accurate for a good 7 years. Then spun a rod bearing, replaced the motor, and thats when it started bouncing around. Wires are all good. I'm wondering if it could be the cat. I do tend to get codes saying catalyst system below thresh hold.

1) narrowbands are never "accurate".
2) how are you going to even remotely get an "accurate" reading from a sensor positioned AFTER the catalyst?
3) AFR readings fluctuate during idle and cruise, your idea of how it should look is completely misfounded.
4) you are an idiot.
5) truth hurts.

Friday, March 18, 2011 2:14 PM
Yeah, i got that it's going to bounce around. It did it with one light constantly moving for 7 years. Now it does it with 5 to 6 lights all lit up bouncing around. I'm not sure weather it's a wide band or narrow band, thats why i guessed. It's the stock OEM sensor. When i originally put it in everyone and their mother said hook it up where i did.
Friday, March 18, 2011 2:25 PM
everyone and their mother drive ricers am i right?

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Friday, March 18, 2011 4:19 PM
Not so much anymore. Either way it was working fine, swapped motors and replaced the O2 sensor and it's never been the same.

Friday, March 18, 2011 4:48 PM
Which wire is the signal wire on the manifold sensor?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search