tuning an ecotec - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
tuning an ecotec
Monday, March 28, 2011 1:00 PM
ok i have a 2004 cavalier ls coupe i plan on doing the following mods and i need to know what would be best for tuning the engine, do i have to use hp tuners or is there another way to go ?

2.2 ecotec L61 engine
bored .020 over
8.9:1 comp. ratio pistons from weisco
eagle h beam rods
cometic head gasket
balance shaft delete
port and polish head built w/ 78lb springs and upgraded valve seats/valve guides and seals
turbo grind comp cams
garrett turbocharger
front mount intercooler
42lb injectors
walbro fuel pump
rks motor mounts and trans mounts
stage 3 spec clutch
spec flywheel
b&m short shifter
ported intake manifold
ported throttle body
full 3",custom downpipe to 3" entrance cat, resonator, 3" piping to dual 4" exit mufflers

what would you guys recommend for tuning, is there any other tuning programs offered for the ecotec cavs or can i use something like an apexi safc and a boost controller for tuning or maybe a greddy emanage piggyback to control fuel/spark timing and then use a boost controller for the turbo? or is it best just to put the @!#$ together and take it to someone to tune with hptuners or learn to use myself?

Re: tuning an ecotec
Monday, March 28, 2011 2:18 PM
Your best option is HPtuners. Those other things you mentioned wont work on our cars because they change the fuel based on map sensor readings and our cars (most of them anyways and all ecos) are fueled by throttle position vs rpm.

Monday, March 28, 2011 6:58 PM
ok thanks, im kinda new to the ecotecs, this is the 2nd cav i have owned, just trying to figure out what i can use to tune this thing.. i plan on building my own turbo kit for it, just need to make sure i get everything researched tuning wise before i start laying money into turbo parts
Monday, March 28, 2011 7:45 PM
RKSport makes Tranny mounts?

It beats a Honda!
Monday, March 28, 2011 8:03 PM
Trifecta is also a option for you as well if your not comfortable doing the tune yourself. It seems he has been doing some nice work with turbo ecos lately.
Saturday, April 02, 2011 11:29 AM
yea trifecta is great but the only downfall is with hpt and someone tuning it they are right there and can see all your engine values and fix things as they occur while with trifecta you have to order the tuner then log everything and email him the data and he adjusts accordingly.... trifecta will tune your car right but you just have to wait for vince to get to your final tune.... so if your in a hurry and you want it done get a shop with hpt to do it... i was going to use trifecta but then my friend bought hpt so i tuned it myself at walmart haha... but vince is a great tuner customer service was awesome when i was dealing with him....
Saturday, April 02, 2011 12:43 PM
Yah I agree...hpt is ideal...

I haven't decided what route to take yet. Ill make my decision when i see the hpt tuning guide and if its something I feel I can do. if not it shouldn't take too long to get a tune through vince. maybe a week total to be up and running smoothly.
Wednesday, April 06, 2011 11:04 PM
i email trifecta to see if i could get some answers, depending on the info they give me, I'm probably going with vince at trifecta lol unless I can find someone in ohio to tune with hpt, i dont trust anyone near where I live because its such a small town. we will see when the time comes, i still gotta buy a lot of parts before i go into tuning, just wanted to see what options i had to choose from.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search