Professionally Tuned....Issues.....Ideas? - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Professionally Tuned....Issues.....Ideas?
Thursday, March 24, 2011 3:50 PM
Well, just got the car Dyno Tuned a few days ago. I was really surprised to see knock at anything past 9 psi. Any ideas? I really thought that I wouldn't experience any sort of knock until the psi was in the mid teens.

I HP Tuned the lower RPM's within a 4% error, and let the shop do WOT and timing on the dyno.

My mods in the registry are up to date, if anyone wants to take a look.

Results:
249whp @ 9psi on 94 Octane (Highest pump gas we can get in Canada)

We saw upwards of 5-6 degrees knock past 9psi. The tuner felt that running any less timing advance at WOT would be detrimental. So, we stopped at 9psi with 10-12 degrees of timing throughout the 105KPA cell

Anybody want to take a look over the logs and tune file?

I don't know why we saw knock on just 9psi. In the log, my ECT's were a little bit high, but I don't think that would cause knock at such low boost.

**NOTE**
Disregard my AEM readings. My sensor was logged in HPT, but was reading 0.5 - 1.0 too rich. My sensor was old, and we tuned VIA the Dyno's wideband, with a new reliable sensor.

Both logs of 9 and 10 psi shown are with AFR readings of 11.2 - 11.9 throughout the run.
I inclued the final HPT file, and cfg file to go along with the logs.

Dyno9.hpt
HighRPM.cfg
Log at 9psi with no knock
Log at 10psi with knock

Re: Professionally Tuned....Issues.....Ideas?
Thursday, March 24, 2011 5:20 PM
I'll look at it, but not through that service. Email it to pnptuning@gmail.com

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Thursday, March 24, 2011 6:50 PM
E-mail Sent.

Thursday, March 24, 2011 7:08 PM
QWK LN2 (P&P Tuning) wrote:I'll look at it, but not through that service. Email it to pnptuning@gmail.com

^^^^^^^ this man knows his sh!+ def would know if there was room for improvement

RIP Cpl Derek Kerns And Cpl Robby Reyes
24th MEU VMM-261 (REIN) V22 Crewchiefs
11 April 2012 Morocco (African Lion)
Thursday, March 31, 2011 6:48 PM
Bump...

Just wondering if maybe I should be running meth injection or even switching to a colder plug? Currently running the NGK LTR7IX-11 (2 steps colder)

Could the knock by caused by my IAT and ECT temps?

IAT's in boost - low 130's
ECT's in boost - 195 to 205
Timing advance - we ended up between 10.5 and 11.9 during WOT in the 105KPA column. Any lower and it will be unsafe (too hot), any more advance and we see knock.

Perfect AFR's of 11.5-11.9

Running 94 Octane.

Anytime we tried to tune for more than 9-10 psi, the knock sensor immediately jumps up to 6 degrees of knock around 5200 rpm, retards the timing, and steps back down.

Really stumped here.

Friday, April 01, 2011 4:02 AM
Are you sure it is real knock? Have you tried pulling lots of timing, and still have it? If so, the knock sensor might be showing false knock.
Friday, April 01, 2011 5:47 PM
Erik,

I got your email but it seems I have a corrupt Window Installer issue and I can't download the tune.... I hope to get this resolved in the next couple days and look this over for you.... Sorry for the delay.

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Saturday, April 02, 2011 1:35 AM
No worries.

Thursday, April 07, 2011 6:07 PM
Bumpity bump.

Thursday, April 07, 2011 7:16 PM
Ok... Got my issue resolved... 1st off, get rid of that torque management. Also, your commanded AFR is 11.5 down to 10.9..... Why so rich? Also, your VE tables don't transition into each other very well... That could be part of your issue. It could also be because you are commanding so low of timing and too much fuel...

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Friday, April 08, 2011 7:34 AM
I know I was getting 6-8 degrees of knock with only 6-7psi on the s/c, we then leaned it out and bye bye knock. I think I was mid 12's and at that the knock went away and car ran great.

Friday, April 08, 2011 11:15 AM
Thanks for the reply,

For torque management, the only table in both the Engine and Trans torque management options that isn't already Zero'd or Disabled is the:

Spark Retard vs. Torque reduction (see below)

Zeroing out this table should be something that everyone does? regardless of if it's a 5 speed or auto?

SparkReductionTorqueManagement by Erik.Nyman, on Flickr

I modified the Max Torque vs. Gear table (changed from 0ft.lb to 1500ft.lb)

TorqueGear by Erik.Nyman, on Flickr

TorqueGear2 by Erik.Nyman, on Flickr

Is there any other tables that I might be missing for disabling TQ MGT?

For my commanded afr being so rich, I think that my UEGO wideband is reading rich in the higher rpm's (which is what is shown on my log)....when we compared it to the dyno I was reading close to a full point too rich. When he was reading 11.8, I was getting 11.0.

He told me that he was going to tune with his wideband and not mine. He used a new sensor and sniffed off the tailpipe. I was told this is a true reading (see dyno chart and scanner log below)

DYNO by Erik.Nyman, on Flickr

Here's a log of what exactly is happening:

Scanner Log by Erik.Nyman, on Flickr

I made some changes to my LowRPM tables to correspond a bit better with the HighRPM table. The 3800rpm columns now line up with the same values, and have a better transition (see pics below)

LowRPMAfter by Erik.Nyman, on Flickr

LowRPMBefore by Erik.Nyman, on Flickr

As far as being too rich, should I get a new wideband sensor?

Is it often that a shop's wideband is off?
Would he be getting leaner readings with his sensor at the end of the tailpipe, whereas mine is closer to the turbo?

I agree that timing is really low (11 and 12 degrees)....but I was told that any higher and he was seeing knock during the runs.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search