VATS Disable - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
VATS Disable
Wednesday, April 13, 2011 2:35 PM
I am probably putting this in the wrong forum so I apologize for that but I figure since it is dealing with HPTuners I would start here.

A bit of recent history with my car. The last few months I have been having issues with the theft system acting up with the car (99 cavalier 2200 4spd auto). Normally I can go for days with out any issues but then sometimes when I go to start the car the theft system light starts blinking and I get the fuel system cut. The majority of the time I can let it stop flashing (sometimes only takes a few seconds) and then attempt to restart the car and have been able to drive away. There have been several occasions where I have had to retry 4-8 times to get the car started.

One day no matter what I did I could not get the car to start because of the theft system. I replaced the ignition lock and cylinder as that seems to be a common part that goes out. Did the theft relearn and no dice. I got the car towed home and let it sit for awhile until I could get the car into the local performance shop that had HPtuners so I could have the VATS disabled.

I had that done this past weekend, but during the process of doing this the shop had disabled 3 items in the VATS menu. VATS, VATS B, and I cant remember the name of the 3rd item but it was dealing with the fuel cut. We reflashed the computer and started the car and all the idiot lights were on and noticed the tach was not working as well. We went back in and enabled VATS B again and reflashed. Instrument cluster was working again as it should.

I drove the car around for awhile and went into several stores and had no issues starting the car. I came back home to do some grocery shopping and when I came back out the car wouldnt start again and the theft system light was flashing again. I waited until it went out and the car started. It has done this 2 other times since then and the most recent time almost left me stranded at work. Also the other day I was doing some electrical work with my foglight wiring and had the positive wire on the battery off for a few minutes.

Could someone please tell me if we might have done something wrong with hptuners or if there is somewhere else that might be causing me some issues.

Sorry for the long post but I figured I might as well give all the information available to my problem so whomever replies has a good idea of whats been going on.

Thanks for any insight into my problem.

Re: VATS Disable
Wednesday, April 13, 2011 2:45 PM
try a different cluster.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Wednesday, April 13, 2011 3:25 PM
So i take it you went to national speed i was there today and found out that the guy that hack tuned my car no longer works there so i might go back after i do harness swap and glad to here car started up just need to clear up the other issues i think i have a cluster if you wanna try it out the speedo is iffy on it which is why i replaced it and its a 2000+ so idk if it will work

RIP Cpl Derek Kerns And Cpl Robby Reyes
24th MEU VMM-261 (REIN) V22 Crewchiefs
11 April 2012 Morocco (African Lion)
Wednesday, April 13, 2011 4:51 PM
Yea. IIRC the cluster will not work since the 2k+ cars use a bcm where as the 195-99 the mileage and some other stuff I think are stored in the cluster itself. I thank you for the offer though. I think once this last little bug is worked out things will be great with it.

The guy the helped me out with the VATS disable seemed to know his stuff from the info I gathered from him while I was there. I even went so far as to ask if they had any experience tuning diesel engines since my old Mercedes is diesel. I was told they didnt have any experience with anything that old. LOL.
Thursday, April 14, 2011 11:36 AM
So it is my understanding that since vats b is for the cluster that it could still be causing my problem. But I thought since the fuel cut was disabled that that would have solved the problem unless the vats b still has a fuel cut programmed in it.

I'm just at a loss here.
Sunday, April 17, 2011 1:42 PM
Ok update on everything. I went back this last Friday night to have the 2 dtc codes disabled that go along with the theft system. We left Vats B enabled and the car continued the issues with the theft system. We went ahead knowing what would happen if we disabled VATS B and did that. I have not had any issues with the theft system but the problem that I have now is that tach, water temp are inop and many of the idiot lights are on. I would suppose the issue could be the gauge cluster but am unsure of this. I have checked all wiring and that all looks good.

So the following has been done with hptuners:

VATS: disabled
VATS B: disabled
third option (fuel cut? for theft): disabled

DTC 1926: 3-no error reported
DTC 1926: 3-no error reported

as far as all the cluster issues goes it should give me a good excuse to go for a full set of aftermarket gauges.
Sunday, April 17, 2011 11:30 PM
i had a very similar problem and it turn out to be the grounds under the battery tray got brittle and came apart. id check those and the engine ground even if they look good take them off and scuff up the contact points. I also had vats disabled on my car long before my ground problem happened.
Monday, April 18, 2011 3:35 AM
Could defiantly be a ground problem.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search