still trying to debug here... additional questions - Page 3 - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: still trying to debug here... additional questions
Sunday, April 03, 2011 7:46 PM
yeah ... frustrating.. but its getting there

Monday, April 04, 2011 10:52 AM
scaned for codes... the only abnormal codes were my reoccuring codes from before... random cyl misfire, map sensor circuit and in pending knock sensor circuit as well

im thinking the knock code is being thrown because of how noisy the motor is, it always takes a bit to set it as a confirmed dtc... i have no idea about the MAP code, it showed up when the harness was replaced..

Monday, April 04, 2011 12:43 PM
Mystic02VA (GME Chat) wrote:scaned for codes... the only abnormal codes were my reoccuring codes from before... random cyl misfire, map sensor circuit and in pending knock sensor circuit as well

im thinking the knock code is being thrown because of how noisy the motor is, it always takes a bit to set it as a confirmed dtc... i have no idea about the MAP code, it showed up when the harness was replaced..

The knock sensor code is going to be for the signal readings, not because of knock.

FU Tuning

Monday, April 04, 2011 12:56 PM
im out of ideas for troubleshooting it... it pops up every couple weeks... i've replaced the knock sensor, the engine wiring harness and now the ECM...

Monday, April 04, 2011 1:20 PM
Mystic02VA (GME Chat) wrote:scaned for codes... the only abnormal codes were my reoccuring codes from before... random cyl misfire, map sensor circuit and in pending knock sensor circuit as well

If for some reason the map is not properly working since the harness swap wouldn't that also affect spark and in turn possibly cause misfires?

Monday, April 04, 2011 1:54 PM
Zs Z wrote:

If for some reason the map is not properly working since the harness swap wouldn't that also affect spark and in turn possibly cause misfires?

Yes it could. Spark is map based.

Sounds to me that there is a wiring issue in the harness.

FU Tuning

Monday, April 04, 2011 3:20 PM
im inclined to agree that the new harness may be foobarred per the map sensor, since this code first appeared with the new harness... i'll have to run continuity tests... but that doesn't tell me much if its an intermittent.

---

as for the P0325... ive had this code since the motor was put in, so im not inclined to think its wiring related... i do have noisy cams though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, April 04, 2011 3:20 PM
Attachments
mapcircuitdiagram.JPG (111k)

Friday, April 15, 2011 5:05 AM
so in trying to figure out the P0105, i ran continuity tests on the three map sensor wires... the ground showed ground, the 5 volt reference showed 5 volts, and the signal wire showed variable voltage while running.... the connector appears to be in good shape. so i'm assuming at this point that i have a vaccum leak. i can't think of anything else that would cause this code.

i disconnected the evap line and capped the port on the manifold and drove home. i'll scan later on today to see if the code came back. the car still leaned out often and still has a noticable powerloss when its lean. (although, i haven't completely determined that the P0105 is related to the lean conditions and power loss)

the code showed up after the new harness... so i figure it had to be either in the new wiring or in the vaccum lines since both were changed when the harness was replaced... at this point ive replaced the map sensor and the ECM so i can rule those out.

Monday, April 18, 2011 1:50 PM
update: i cleared all the codes thursday and drove the car all weekend. if you ignore all the codes that should be turned off in hpt, i have no confirmed dtcs... however the p0105 and p0325 are in pending. the car now stays lean 99.9 % of the time. i have noticed that i no longer have the p0300 code, so perhaps the LSJ injectors played a roll in that.

i have a new question... i now have no cat, and yet i am not throwing a cat efficency code. im wondering if its possible that the front 02 is sending the wrong voltage back to the ecm, causing the ECM to make the car run lean. Is this possible? i'd like some input before i attempt to swap out the O2 Sensor. the sensor on the car now is originial and has about 130k miles on it.

Monday, April 18, 2011 2:41 PM
good god... throw a stock motor in and see what it does!

lol either that or put ur engine harness/ecm on a stock car and see what happens!

Monday, April 18, 2011 4:53 PM
yeah ... im really close to going stand-alone...

any thoughts to the o2 sensor idea?

Monday, April 18, 2011 5:38 PM
Read the O2 sensor in the HPT scanner, is it working properly? You have not turned off the rear O2 sensor code?

FU Tuning

Monday, April 18, 2011 6:17 PM
this ecu is virgin, it hasn't yet be licensed in HPT, so no codes are turned off.. i personally don't have HPT to check, and i don't want to bug Joe until i fix my bugs, so im kinda limited to a Hyundai Scanner and a Snap On scanner. i'll see if either reads o2 voltage.

Monday, April 18, 2011 6:45 PM
im really leaning towards the O2 sensor being bad...

it doesn't go lean until i hit closed loop... the colder the car, the longer the car remains around 14.7

i learned today that the ecm ignores O2 info until it hits closed loop.

Monday, April 25, 2011 6:56 AM
UPDATE: the pin for the purple wire coming out of the front o2 backed out of the connector. The wiring schematic showed this as "Low" wire (as opposed to the tan wire being "SIGNAL") -- i had to use super glue on the rubber potion of the connector to keep it retained in the connector and this is a temp fix until i can put on my spare pigtail off the new harness. (we kept the old o2 connector when we swapped harnesses due to the fact that the o2 wires were extended for the Ron header).

since making the repair, the car still leans out often once warm, the car doesn't have as much power loss, the car attempts to idle better (considering the cams and the stock tune), otherwise everything is much the same. the odd thing is, is that pin was backed all of the way out to have an intermittant contact at best, and yet no O2 Sensor Low input code ever appeared. Also when the pin was backed out, the scan tool could still read o2 voltage.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search