max timing with out kr - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
max timing with out kr
Tuesday, April 26, 2011 12:10 PM
whats the max timing do you run on your na ecotec the most i can run 31.5 without knock. on 91

see ya!

Re: max timing with out kr
Tuesday, April 26, 2011 12:56 PM
wow realy 31.5?

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:34 PM
jason norwood wrote:wow realy 31.5?
He is NA..... Probably losing power with that much too......

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:17 PM
I had it higher I had it higher but had .5deg of kr. I am new to this I had to buy the tuner school to wrap my head around it.

see ya!

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:34 PM
IDK, but when i had an n/a eco, seemed happiest at around 20-22 in the bottom right of the spark map. Over thirty just seems like putting a beating on the bottom end, even if it's not knocking. There's math to it that is more complicated than i've cared to put the time into, but there is definitely a number that going beyond will net no more power and probably a loss.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:39 PM
I have had this hp-tuners for years just getting into serious tuning. Right now I have a problem with my wideband readings on my scanner in hptuners and the reading on my lm-2

see ya!

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 7:19 PM
23deg @ 6000 rpm. L61T @ 7.25psi with 91oct + water/meth. 0 Kr

Boost Lover
Tuesday, April 26, 2011 7:27 PM
Yoan Desaulniers wrote:23deg @ 6000 rpm. L61T @ 7.25psi with 91oct + water/meth. 0 Kr
wow that's pushing it that meth/water sure is working good in your case. But good to see!

see ya!

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 10:21 PM
12 degrees advance @ 9psi on 94 octane.

13 - 15 degrees advance saw 5-6 degrees of knock.

Thursday, April 28, 2011 1:35 PM
oldskool wrote:IDK, but when i had an n/a eco, seemed happiest at around 20-22 in the bottom right of the spark map. Over thirty just seems like putting a beating on the bottom end, even if it's not knocking. There's math to it that is more complicated than i've cared to put the time into, but there is definitely a number that going beyond will net no more power and probably a loss.

And with what we know about the car is essentially impossible for us to do it even with a computer doing the math. The only realistic way to find the peak torque timing is to do it on a dyno, and its going to be different for every car. I would think that ours would be in the 20-26 range since it seems that the could lsj guys who actually did the work found it to be close to 23 but we have more stroke and I dont want to think about how that effects the math.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Tuesday, May 03, 2011 8:46 AM
on an LSJ keep it under 24.5, with a bigger pulley and meth I was able to hit that, but now with more boost and my meth not currently hooked up im struggling to hit 15

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Tuesday, May 03, 2011 8:54 AM
Rodimus Prime wrote:on an LSJ keep it under 24.5, with a bigger pulley and meth I was able to hit that, but now with more boost and my meth not currently hooked up im struggling to hit 15

Interesting, I peak to 18 in boost and it trails off to 15 at redline with the 2.8" pulley and a 12.2:1 afr that trails to 11.8 at redline.

Tuesday, May 03, 2011 8:35 PM
Leafy wrote:
oldskool wrote:IDK, but when i had an n/a eco, seemed happiest at around 20-22 in the bottom right of the spark map. Over thirty just seems like putting a beating on the bottom end, even if it's not knocking. There's math to it that is more complicated than i've cared to put the time into, but there is definitely a number that going beyond will net no more power and probably a loss.

And with what we know about the car is essentially impossible for us to do it even with a computer doing the math. The only realistic way to find the peak torque timing is to do it on a dyno, and its going to be different for every car. I would think that ours would be in the 20-26 range since it seems that the could lsj guys who actually did the work found it to be close to 23 but we have more stroke and I dont want to think about how that effects the math.
the cooler iat can allow you to run more timing as well as other enviromental factors oh and load

see ya!

Thursday, May 05, 2011 9:24 AM
not sure if the Js have it or not cant remember but there is a table for timing control vs iat, where if its warmer it pulls if its colder it adds

Thursday, May 05, 2011 9:48 AM
Rodimus Prime wrote:not sure if the Js have it or not cant remember but there is a table for timing control vs iat, where if its warmer it pulls if its colder it adds

Yes we have that and everyone with a blower should have it tuned.

Friday, May 06, 2011 3:52 AM
I was under the impression the OP was talking about max timing at WOT.

If we are talking about max at cruise, 38-40* on 93 just barely on the throttle.

Monday, May 09, 2011 1:04 PM
yea on my old spark tables i was in the upper 40s during cruise

Monday, May 16, 2011 8:02 PM
Ok so, I've now actually tuned spark for power on the dyno. It was with haltech but the same still applies (but real time tuning with the haltech made it exponentially easier). I would never ever try to tune spark without being on the dyno and it needs to be a load varying dyno like a mustang. The thing with spark is that you will be doing some @!#$ that doesnt make sense and it will be making power, I was tuning a 500cc 2 cylinder snowmobile engine with a 20mm intake restirctor, due to the restrictor it was basically impossible for me to make it knock so I didnt even have the sensor hooked up. Basically what I did was slowly bump the timing up until torque plateaued and then dropped it down to the lowest number that still gave me the highest torque. I am running 44* of spark advance at 11500 rpm's at full throttle and 49* at part throttle stuff in the 8k rpm range because thats what the engine wants. I had that 49* area up to 55* on the dyno without knock but I was making less torque. The car wants what the car wants dont try to force it, if you want to tune your spark get on a real dyno.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search