Cannot command richer than 11.5:1 - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cannot command richer than 11.5:1
Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:53 AM
Learned this weekend on two different cars that although we can put whatever we want in the PE commanded afr and multiplier tables, it will not actually command richer than 11.5. I guess for M62 set ups where you may want a richer mid range (say 11:1), it's up to a custom spreadsheet to get it dead on.

Has anyone seen a case where you can command richer than 11.5:1 on an ecotec pcm?

Re: Cannot command richer than 11.5:1
Tuesday, April 19, 2011 6:39 AM
I guess I've never really tired to command that rich personally, but I swear i have seen logs from others that have commanded in the 10's......

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 1:05 PM
I have seen commands in the 10's on my car, now not because I set the PE at that, but other fields we can't see commanding it.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 4:03 PM
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:I have seen commands in the 10's on my car, now not because I set the PE at that, but other fields we can't see commanding it.
Yes i've seen that rich on very cold start up, or if you stall the car while logging (lol). I'm more interested in PE conditions though. I'll work the VE tables through the spreadsheet to get where i want.

If you guys see anything in PE less than 11.5 let me know.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 5:14 PM
oldskool wrote:
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:I have seen commands in the 10's on my car, now not because I set the PE at that, but other fields we can't see commanding it.
Yes i've seen that rich on very cold start up, or if you stall the car while logging (lol). I'm more interested in PE conditions though. I'll work the VE tables through the spreadsheet to get where i want.

I was not speaking about cold start, or stalling. I was talking about PE.

I have not had the cold start richness that some have had on my car.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:54 AM
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:
oldskool wrote:

I was not speaking about cold start, or stalling. I was talking about PE.

I have not had the cold start richness that some have had on my car.
Oh? Hmmm. Have you seen it on 03+ ecotecs at all?

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 6:08 AM
I think we saw it in Roberts car when we first started tuning it on the factory ECU and Alpha-N

FU Tuning

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 1:29 PM
I dont know why you'd want to run that rich anyways. My car does not like it and bogs like a son of a gun, and is noticeably slower on the but dyno than when I'm getting the 12.2:1 that I command.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Monday, April 25, 2011 10:41 PM
what do you have as your base AFR for PE, im thinking maybe you change that lower to something other than 12-13 like stock, maybe you can only multiply so high off of it

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:12 AM
I've tried base PE afrs anywhere from 11.2-11.8, with various RPM multipliers - 11.5 seems to be the floor.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 8:57 AM
Could always set to command 11.5 then use meth injection to reach lower that would get a bit complex though trying to do it in a set rpm range id think you would losing power going richer thn 11.5

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 8:59 AM
Or command 11.5 and then import your high and low rpm ve tables into excel and do some math to make it richer where you want it.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:38 PM
I ended up doing just that, Leafy. But for other reasons than not commanding less than 11.5. Lol our cars "can" be tuned for an M62 on one bar, but the threshold into boost becomes a waste of fuel. At 25% TPS at a given RPM, i'm crossing into positive pressure, but am still stuck with the same AFR as WOT. I feel like it doesn't need to be 11.5-11.8:1 while it's just crossing into positive pressure, but i don't want it at stoich either lol.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 1:15 AM
So you already used the spread sheet. put your own custom taper in. Based on the VE map, yeah its the wrong way to do it, but @!#$ it it'll work.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search