98 ecu flashed to 99 ? - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
98 ecu flashed to 99 ?
Tuesday, December 27, 2005 11:32 AM
i heard that the emanage doesnt work well with the 98, i heard that it is possible to flash the 98 to a 99 is this correct? if so how hard is it and what is the cost, also would there be any other complications that may occur from having this flashed. thanks reason why im askin is that my turbo kit is very close to finished and i was looking at going with the greddy, i know i could go with ms but i want to wait for a while, thanks for your help

Re: 98 ecu flashed to 99 ?
Tuesday, December 27, 2005 11:35 AM
Well the real differnce between the 98's and 99's are that the 99's don't have egr. Now all you would have to do is get a vin from a 99 car with your engine and copy the vin. Make sure its the same trans as yours. Call a few chevy dealerships and ask them if they will do it first. Some wouldn't do it for me, but I eventually found one. I think it was around $80



Blew it up
Re: 98 ecu flashed to 99 ?
Tuesday, December 27, 2005 1:34 PM
98redcavz24 wrote:

Well the real differnce between the 98's and 99's are that the 99's don't have egr. Now all you would have to do is get a vin from a 99 car with your engine and copy the vin. Make sure its the same trans as yours. Call a few chevy dealerships and ask them if they will do it first. Some wouldn't do it for me, but I eventually found one. I think it was around $80


Wrong.

There are more differences than just the EGR. More misinformation from the .org.

Shame on you, I even told you how to do the PCM swap and you STILL gave out wrong info!

-Chris-



-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Re: 98 ecu flashed to 99 ?
Tuesday, December 27, 2005 7:37 PM
can some one please, tell me what all i need to get my ecu flashed to a 99 and what the differnce is, if any of you have flashed your 98 to a 99 please let ne know how it is doing, thanks
Re: 98 ecu flashed to 99 ?
Wednesday, December 28, 2005 4:58 PM
anyone????????????
Re: 98 ecu flashed to 99 ?
Wednesday, December 28, 2005 6:33 PM
I thought the '98 and '99 were the same ECM. It didn't change 'til '00.



Re: 98 ecu flashed to 99 ?
Wednesday, December 28, 2005 6:45 PM
doubler wrote:

can some one please, tell me what all i need to get my ecu flashed to a 99 and what the differnce is, if any of you have flashed your 98 to a 99 please let ne know how it is doing, thanks


Learn to use the search button I did a big how-to on doing this 2 years ago.

-Chris-



-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Re: 98 ecu flashed to 99 ?
Wednesday, December 28, 2005 11:28 PM
yah sorry, i looked but didnt find what i wanted, can you refere me to the post that you maid a while ago... thanks
Re: 98 ecu flashed to 99 ?
Thursday, December 29, 2005 7:36 AM
Per some info in this post ECU connectors The 97-99 ECU's are the same and it is a easy swap. Why not just swap a 99 ECU into your 98 car? Still with a VIN number of a 99 car like yours you should be able to get your ECU reflashed.
Re: 98 ecu flashed to 99 ?
Thursday, December 29, 2005 11:20 AM
SunfighterGT's favorite phrase "Learn to use the search button..." Dude, seriously, you need to lighten up. That's all I ever see you post anymore is search this and search that. There's so many threads here after all these years, most of the things people are looking for are either too old and not archived, or they contain useless or not enough info. You could have at least posted a link to your 2 year old thread, if it's archived, that is.........



Re: 98 ecu flashed to 99 ?
Thursday, December 29, 2005 11:33 AM
so you think its better to swap in a 99 ecu then have the caar flashed? can i not just get the 98 ecu flashed to a 99? im confused.

Re: 98 ecu flashed to 99 ?
Saturday, December 31, 2005 4:26 AM
Has anyone tought about the injectors in the first place? They are different. Is you use the 99 ecm, you have a 50-50 chance of toasting your injectors. I said it so many time that it would be easy to find with the search button. Hell I saw about 4 damn post about the same ******* because people don't search.

99 had 2 style of injectors High and low. the 96-mid 99 had the low impedence and the mid 99+ had the high impedence. look in the performance forum, maintenance and noob forum. there's still some post floating around.



Gilles
2.3 Ho

Re: 98 ecu flashed to 99 ?
Saturday, December 31, 2005 10:24 AM
Nitro wrote:

SunfighterGT's favorite phrase "Learn to use the search button..." Dude, seriously, you need to lighten up. That's all I ever see you post anymore is search this and search that. There's so many threads here after all these years, most of the things people are looking for are either too old and not archived, or they contain useless or not enough info. You could have at least posted a link to your 2 year old thread, if it's archived, that is.........


3 minutes before I posted that reply to him, I searched for the thread myself for a friend, and found it within 15 seconds.

People are too f'n lazy to actually use the resources. I have typed up countless how-tos and taken pictures and posted them all and given every scrap of information needed in the past. It is ALL in the archives... all you have to do is learn to search. Forgive me if I don't want to copy and paste the same answers over and over again....

And even when I have told people how to do it (exactly what's involved) they STILL post up the wrong information. It blows my mind...


And MFK-223 - Yes the 1999 had high and low impedence injectors... but the PCM will drive them both in that year without a problem. I have run 4 different types of low impedence injector on my reflashed 1999 pcm without a problem.... You can run low impedence injectors on a high impedence system, but not the reverse.


Sorry if you all think I'm some sort of a prick or something, I'm just tired of doing what Adam has to do and repost the same answers again and again for people who either are too stupid to learn to search, too stupid to search properly, or too lazy to even try. "I don't have time to do through all the threads to find my info can you just tell me?..."... how many times have we seen that on the forums? My answer to that is Hell No you snot-nosed little prick. Do what I did - and do hours and hours of exhaustive research and understand what you're doing before you try it.

I was the first person to try this mod and pull it off. It took a small chunk of research and a lot of staring at wiring diagrams and talking to PCM experts to determine the differences between the 1998 and 1999 pcm's both physically and in a sense or wiring... then I had to figure out the injector thing. Once that was all done I rewired a few thngs and had the flash done and it's been gravy ever since.

If you guys don't like that I say "search" - too bad. If I've seen the information on the site with my own eyes over the past 6 years, I'm telling you to search for it. Especially when I'm the one that posted that info.

-Chris-



-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Re: 98 ecu flashed to 99 ?
Saturday, December 31, 2005 10:47 AM
Great, so where's the link? It's a heck of alot easier to find threads you wrote, because you already know the title. Guess what, we don't. If you already did the work and brought up the link for a friend, it would have been nothing to paste it here on the side. Thanks for not being a prick though, really.

And BTW, your @!#$ stinks just as bad as the next guy's. Don't let yourself get T.O. syndrome (also known as Suncavi syndrome).



Re: 98 ecu flashed to 99 ?
Saturday, December 31, 2005 11:05 AM
Nitro's right, I've been searching for awhile now on this topic..and all I can come up with is a post SunfighterGT replied too
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=40&i=59363&t=59313#59363
It does explain, but if this is all needed i dunno
There's nothing in the archive for "Reflash" at all...
Re: 98 ecu flashed to 99 ?
Saturday, December 31, 2005 11:25 AM
You think I search by post name? No - keywords. Do you memorize he titles of all your posts? I don't.

As for it being too hard to copy and paste... yeah it's just as hard for me to be a nice guy to copy and paste the link as it is for somebody to actually get up off their ass and search. They don't, so I don't.

I've been more than helpful enough over the last 6 years on this site... posting up the same answers gets tiring... so does people saying "I couldn't find it"... that's total horsecrap.

Call me what you want... but the information is right on this website.

-Chris-



-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Re: 98 ecu flashed to 99 ?
Saturday, December 31, 2005 11:39 AM
Sorry guys but I'm with Chris on this one. He speak da truth




I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Re: 98 ecu flashed to 99 ?
Saturday, December 31, 2005 1:01 PM
EdgeZ24 wrote:

Nitro's right, I've been searching for awhile now on this topic..and all I can come up with is a post SunfighterGT replied too
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=40&i=59363&t=59313#59363
It does explain, but if this is all needed i dunno
There's nothing in the archive for "Reflash" at all...


Good job, that's not the original post, but a reply I put up to HELP somebody else... a COPY of my original post. But good job finding it!

Like I said, you get tired reposting the same information to help people when it's already there and easily accessed via the search button.

There isn't much info about the NVG swap so I try to lend some advice here and there and tell people how to do it because I had to research it like a whore... and then somebody like Nitro goes and breaks all the rules and uses mostly stock parts. Haha... so now I can tell people they can use the stock linkage if they want, it bolts up.

I DO help when it's something obscure or hardly documented. When people ask how to wire up a S-AFC to a 99 pcm I tell them to search cuz I made a HUGE how-to post about it... and may other things.

Like I said, call me a prick if you want... but it's the principle of the thing. I do help a lot of people off of the .org

-Chris-



-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Re: 98 ecu flashed to 99 ?
Saturday, December 31, 2005 5:59 PM
Don't get me wrong, I can see where you're coming from. Lord knows I've seen my share of posting the same dang things over and over. I blame it partially on the moderators for not noticing the pattern and making an appropriate sticky. BUT, even though I grow tired of posting links, if I know it's been awhile (like longer than 180 days) Then I know it's gonna be alot harder to find, so I'll post it again. That's not too much to ask, posting it up every 180 days if that's what it takes to help someone out. I mean, that's the purpose of gathering 30 thousand minds on one site, right? To help each other out with info sharing and have fun in the process.

Obviously, if someone has the info and simply does not post, they have the right to withhold that info if they chose. But to belittle the asker is a little unfair. I would suggest, that if you really don't feel like posting up the info that's asked for, simply don't post. If the asker feels that information is pertinant enough, He'll look hard enough to find it........



Re: 98 ecu flashed to 99 ?
Saturday, December 31, 2005 11:49 PM
Nitro wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I can see where you're coming from. Lord knows I've seen my share of posting the same dang things over and over. I blame it partially on the moderators for not noticing the pattern and making an appropriate sticky. BUT, even though I grow tired of posting links, if I know it's been awhile (like longer than 180 days) Then I know it's gonna be alot harder to find, so I'll post it again. That's not too much to ask, posting it up every 180 days if that's what it takes to help someone out. I mean, that's the purpose of gathering 30 thousand minds on one site, right? To help each other out with info sharing and have fun in the process.

Obviously, if someone has the info and simply does not post, they have the right to withhold that info if they chose. But to belittle the asker is a little unfair. I would suggest, that if you really don't feel like posting up the info that's asked for, simply don't post. If the asker feels that information is pertinant enough, He'll look hard enough to find it........


True say... but at the same time I DO say "the info is on the site, search".... at least they know that it DOES in fact exist on the site all they have to do is look. Sure beats thinking it's something nobody has ever done before.

-Chris-



-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

 

Start New Topic Advanced Search