Oxygen sensor signal wire - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Oxygen sensor signal wire
Sunday, May 29, 2011 8:05 AM
Hey guys ive done a little more than an hour of searching and havent found my answer.. I have a 2002 sunfire with the 2200 ohv, and im trying to figure out which wire is the signal wire on the sensor... My book says the pre cat o2 sensor is a one wire, which its not.. Looks like a 4 wire heated o2 sensor, it has two white ones which i assume are the grounds (one for the heater and one for the sensor ground) and it has a black wire and a grey wire. On the engine harness side i have a purple, brown, tan and i think black wire.. Alllllll i want to know is which one do i hook my afr gaige up to?

Thanks in advance..

Re: Oxygen sensor signal wire
Sunday, May 29, 2011 8:59 AM
the sensor signal wire is purple on the harness side, which matches up to black on the sensor side.

trial and error.
Sunday, May 29, 2011 1:01 PM
If you are hooking up your AFR gage to your stock O2 sensor, you just threw some cash in the trash. It doesn't mean anything unless you have a wideband oxygen sensor.
Sunday, May 29, 2011 1:58 PM
I work for NGK / NTK and can help you

how many wires are in the o2 sensor?/ youll have 2 heater wire and gnd and sig wire if its a 4 wire.

Sunday, May 29, 2011 6:25 PM
it's a four wire, thought it was funny the book said the precat o2 sensor was one wire but yeah, it's a 4 wire. two white wires, a black wire, and a grey wire.

i hooked it up to the black wire, and it functions like it used to on my civic, dances around betweent slightly lean and slightly rich, til i nail the accelerator then it's on rich...
Sunday, May 29, 2011 6:47 PM
Get a WideBand, Seriously the narrow bands are absolutly worthless unless u like watching a gauge go from one end to the other....I had one, Now have a wideband, worth the money IMO.
Sunday, May 29, 2011 7:47 PM
Narrowband is fine, if all you care about is WOT.

Sunday, May 29, 2011 8:14 PM
Narrowband is useless for tuning.

I have a wideband and a narrowband. My narrow band serves a very small purpose.

FU Tuning

Monday, May 30, 2011 5:45 AM
Im not into tuning yet, just figured id hook this up to help semi-monitor my fuel system... I had to bang on the tank to start the car three weeks ago, and have the new pump in hand, just not looking forward to changing it.

Btw... Anyone know how much a wideband costs?
I used to tune basemaps for my civic ecu, i see we have a program for that too... Ill have to give it some thought.
Monday, May 30, 2011 6:37 AM
A narrowband wil not help monitor your fuel system. they are only accurate at 14:7:1 which is what the car shoots for at cruise and normal driving. Once you go WOT the narrowband can't tell you crap. I have found mine will show the oppisite of what my wideband reads.

FU Tuning

Monday, May 30, 2011 6:55 AM
If you already have a wideband gage, the sensor is only another 50-60 bucks. Seriously, do it right or don't do it at all.

Monday, May 30, 2011 10:46 AM
What kind of wideband sensor? Does it matter? I see LC1 and UEGO.. And more.. Does it matter which one?
Monday, May 30, 2011 1:29 PM
Depends on what gage you have, I know the LC1 uses a Bosch sensor - don't know about the AEM.
Tuesday, May 31, 2011 7:38 AM
I have an autometer pro comp afr...
Tuesday, May 31, 2011 9:43 AM
You can look up installation instructions on Auto Meter's website. It looks like it might be a Bosch sensor...

http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?gid=3603&sid=15
http://www.autometer.com/productPDF/1143A.pdf

http://www.amazon.com/Innovate-Motorsports-3737-Wideband-Sensor/dp/B000COBT9A

Don't know if that is your gage or not though.
Tuesday, May 31, 2011 10:48 PM
Well i looked it up on autometers website and i have the ultra-lite narrowband afr gauge. Fail.

I didnt know they made narrowband afr gauges... Why would they do that if theyre useless for tuning???
Tuesday, May 31, 2011 10:56 PM
Because people buy them

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 5:35 AM
This is for a race only application. My question is can I just buy the AEM sensor, put it in the stock bung hook the blue write up to the factory harness. Then hook up the wide band through the egr. Configure the pid for the wideband. Our do I need the gauge also.
Wednesday, June 08, 2011 7:48 AM
No you cant.. way to many differences between the 2. the aem will have a asic chip in it and you need the controller to interpret the code....

Thursday, June 09, 2011 2:13 PM
Innovate Motorsports 3769 LC-1 Wideband Controller Lambda Cable with O2 Sensor
Would this be a good idea? I would like to log while in a race without a gauge in the car.
Thursday, June 09, 2011 2:28 PM
Ross Olsen wrote:Innovate Motorsports 3769 LC-1 Wideband Controller Lambda Cable with O2 Sensor
Would this be a good idea? I would like to log while in a race without a gauge in the car.

Yes, I know for a fact you can run the lc1 without a gauge.

Thursday, June 09, 2011 7:53 PM
Great! Now one more question. Is it best to do this through the egr(what wire? ) or the ac (what wire here? )
Would really like to stick it up behind the dash with velcro, one wire, not easy to spot.
Thursday, June 09, 2011 10:44 PM
As far as I know it doesn't matter, they work the same. I think the EGR is more common, but they both work.
Friday, July 15, 2011 11:10 AM
For the record, an lc1 works great. Glad I did it that way, it came with a gauge that verified my pid in hp tuners.
Friday, July 15, 2011 11:26 AM
You can use the NTK sensor part number 24321 that would work for the LC-1 or the Aem Uego as they are both Bosch LSU 4.2 sensors.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search