1997 Cavalier ECU replacement questions - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1997 Cavalier ECU replacement questions
Monday, June 20, 2011 8:06 PM
I have a bone stock 2.2L, automatic, 1997 Cavalier convertible. It has been acting up for a while. The check engine light comes on intermittently. When I pull the codes, it says, Cam shaft position sensor failure, crankshaft position failure, EGR failure, O2 sensor failure, etc. Tons of codes... Obviously, these are false codes. The car runs perfectly. Once a month or so, it won't start properly but, if you pump the gas pedal, it'll start after a few seconds. Also, the cooling fan will only work when the AC is running. I hot wired it to run constantly. Anyway, I decided to replace the ECU to correct these issues once and for all. I replaced the ECU with one from an automatic Sunfire 2.2L. I performed the Pass lock bypass procedure and the car runs beautifully. Only issue, car dies when you put it into gear. I figure, OK.... Bad ECU. I get another one from a 2.2L auto Sunfire. This time it runs good but, again transmission issues. It won't shift and the RND32 light doesn't work. I'm told that the code on the ECU's must match or you must get the ECU re-flashed at the dealer. Is this correct? The code on my original ECU is BZRD. The ones i tried were BZSR and CAZD. I'd rather not fork over big bucks to a dealer to do this re-flash crap. If I must find a car with the BZRD ECU at the junkyard, is there anyway to tell what ECU the car has by the VIN? Any Info on this would be appreciated. I tried to look for this info in other posts and couldn't find it.....

Re: 1997 Cavalier ECU replacement questions
Monday, June 20, 2011 8:08 PM
Additional info..... I put the original ECU back in and the car is running fine again so..... Also, this is my street car. Not my race car.
Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:25 AM
From my experience, when you get a lot of codes like that all at once, there's only one thing causing the problems. I had broken wires on an IAT sensor once and got 14 codes. Secondly in my experience if the computer is bad, you won't get any codes from it.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Tuesday, June 21, 2011 7:17 PM
Ok.... So, if you were me, how would you proceed from here?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search