SCT tuning - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
SCT tuning
Monday, June 27, 2011 2:12 PM
Hey guys, I'm new here.

I have a turbo'd 95 ranger, and am not so new to the turbo game. I am however new to the L61. My girlfriend has an 03 L61 sunfire. She wants to turbo it, and pretty much wants to do it herself so she can learn.

I can do the turbo part. That is cake. What I am concerned about is tuning. I tuned my ranger with SCT and I know they make a GM tuner as well. Is there any reason this cannot be used to tune these? Seems everyone uses HPTuner, and I suppose I can learn it pretty easy, I just already have all the SCT stuff so I was wondering if it can be done?

It seems that these computers are tough to flash (at least that is what I understood from the browsing I have been doing for the past 2 weeks)

Thanks for the help, ERIC

95 Ranger 2.5T

Re: SCT tuning
Monday, June 27, 2011 5:49 PM
a quick "search by vehicle" on their site reveals that they support no iteration of the j-body.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Monday, June 27, 2011 6:20 PM
Thanks man. I guess I should have done that myself. I feel pretty dumb now.

95 Ranger 2.5T

Monday, June 27, 2011 8:50 PM
Your sig is too big bro. I would change it before you get your pee pee slapped.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Tuesday, June 28, 2011 7:14 AM
Well if your looking to boost her sunturd, look into the MP62 supercharger kits (what the cobalt ss runs) and getting the gm reflash or just get the reflash and injectors and run a sabb turbo setup on the car since you did mention turbo... I'm running the MP62 setup on my 04 cav,and I had my car tuned by Cavattack2200 here on the forums. You'll be hard pressed to find a tuner that is willing to tune our cars as our computers have very little to work with once your looking at it through HP tuners. Our computers are limited by what tables you can access so it gets frustrating to people used to tuning LSX powered cars/trucks.

But don't let that discourage you, there are options out there from harness and computer swaps, The Hahn Racecraft port fueler, mechanical tuning methods....or you can get ahold of Ryan (cavattack2200) and have him work his voodoo magic on the ecu and be done with it. Snoop around the boost forum and search, there are alot of smartass people here and they can be somewhat discouraging to new comers but I'm sure you'll find what you need. Also check out ecotecforum.com as they might have some threads that will helpyou out...or shoot me a pm and I'll help with whatever I can.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 7:44 AM
Hey thanks man. I wouldnt say I am discouraged, but It is tough to tune if the computer wont let you access tables and such.

Ill look into the supercharger kit. it sounds a litte easier especially since GM will reflash for you. The turbo would be really easy and I would enjoy making my own header for it and such, but she doesnt need all that. I would probably just get carried away since I have on my truck. Im so used to easy tuning on the ford computers. This will be a challenge then. I like those. Maybe ill get ahold of you about the supercharger stuff. Cobaltss.net seems like the place to go to get a cheap kit.

95 Ranger 2.5T

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:00 AM
pm sent

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 9:08 AM
I forget that you're coming from ford tuning. Even the j-body pcm still seem amazing with hp tuners. The only crappy thing with ours is that fueling is done with throttle position and not map/maf. Which means the blower can be tuned pretty easy but the turbo setups get real hard once you get passed tiny baby turbos.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Tuesday, June 28, 2011 9:34 AM
Ok. I see the issue now. Jeez, that would require some nice calculations. I think I will look into the blower option a little deeper. Maf/Map makes everything so much easier.

95 Ranger 2.5T

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search