Wideband through egr or ac pressure. Sticky? - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Wideband through egr or ac pressure. Sticky?
Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:11 PM
I don't want take credit for somebody else work most of the info i used came from here:

Here

I think it is very useful to wire the wideband through the EGR or AC if for no other reason just to keep it a one wire hookup for logging purposes.

1. First thing to do is track down the AC Pressure sensor. I believe in a j-body it is red and black that goes to the pcm that is your 0-5v.
Or you can also use the brown wire from the egr.

2. Of course you will have to wire up the wideband. I chose the innovate motorsports lc1 for a discrete install with easy removal. I wired the whole harness together, even spliced the narrow band in line so I can swap out the factory o2 sensor when not tuning. Wired an old heated o2 sensor plug on the car for 12v ,ground, wideband to egr and narrowband emulator to factory narrowband. The really nice thing about this is everything (the reset button, gauge, led) stays with lc1 harness. Once everything is wired up check to make sure the wideband is working properly on the gauge display. Once operation is correct we can go on to getting this thing to read into HPtuners.

4. This is very simple to do it sounds harder than it really is. Here it is step by step.

1.- Open VCM Scanner
2.- Open the Table Display
3.- Right click the table
4.- Left click insert
5.- Down at the bottom you will see User Defined if there is a + sign next to it click the + sign and you will see configure user defined.
6.- Double Left click configure user defined

7.- Now click one of the undefined labels and insert a name for your wideband. I chose LC1 EGR.

8.- Now we need to input the function string that will take the voltage coming from the wideband output and convert it to AFR. At the bottom of this screen you will see a function line.
Enter ([PID.2811]/0.332446809)+7.35. for egr brown wire.
Enter ([PID.7101]/0.332446809)+7.35. for AC pressure R/B wire.

(This is the right formula for the LC1.)

9. Now lets open the scanner, connect to the car and scan to ensure the PID is working.

Creating the Histogram for the wideband
1.- Now that we have created the function already this part is very simple. Open the Scanner, open the histogram display.

2.- To the right of the number 8 you will see a configure button. Click that.

4.- You will then see how the wideband is default setup. If you look where it says sensor you will see that next to the sensor it says air fuel ratio [SENS.120]. The problem with this sensor is it will not record but it will display. To the right of that you will see PID list, Scroll down to where you will see:The custom PID we made earlier for the wideband. It will be listed under the user configured and will be named [USER.9004] LC1 EGR. Now double click the custom pid you created and hit the floppy disk in the top left corner to commit the changes.

6.- Do another scan and ensure everything is working properly.

7. Now for the AFR ERROR, just like before,

Here it is step by step.

1.- Open VCM Scanner
2.- Open the Table Display
3.- Right click the table
4.- Left click insert
5.- Down at the bottom you will see User Defined if there is a + sign next to it click the + sign and you will see configure user defined.
6.- Double Left click configure user defined
Here is a pic

7.- Now click one of the undefined labels and insert a name for your wideband. I chose AFR ERROR2.

We need to input the function string that will calculate AFR error.
There is already an AFR error in the user define but it uses [SENS.120] this will not record, remember?
We need the function string to be 100*([USER.9004]-[SENS.121])/[SENS.121]

The histograms are pretty straight forward but will help if needed.
Attachments
jbody.zip (2k)

Re: Wideband through egr or ac pressure. Sticky?
Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:42 PM
That last equation is what I was looking for. Thank you kind sir!!!!!!!!

For the love of everything holy... sticky this.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:54 PM
Also I wanted to add this for those of you that have an AEM EUGO or an Innovate MTX-L like me, you will need to setup your own equation for the custom PID, that is the first equation in his first post, under #8.

You will also need to alter your equation if you choose to narrow the range that your wideband will read. Which is generally a good idea because it gives more accurate logs, assuming you arent WAAAY lean or rich.

It's pretty easy, just follow this...

soundengineer;84123 wrote:the Formula in the EIO(AUX) section is called a transfer function
it works by you teling it a step value and then telling it an offset from 0

things you eed to know to figure out the formula for you device you are trying to use in the EIO section

A) Voltage Maximum of the Device being used
B) Value Represented by the (Volts=0) of the Device being used
If the device doen not output 0 Volts then you need to used math to figure out what value 0 volts would equal.
C) Value Represented by the Voltage Maximum of the Device being used

then its (A)/(C-B) +B

Example #1
Wideband O2 Sensor (LC1)
0 Volts= 7.35 AFR
5 Volts= 22.39 AFR

Volts Max = 5
AFR represented by 0 Volts = 7.35
AFR Max = 22.39

so 5/(22.39-7.35) +7.35
or in our EIO Formula
Volts/ 0.3324 + 7.35

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11719

Hopefully I'm not overstepping, I just wanted to add a piece of the puzzle I got stuck on

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Wednesday, July 20, 2011 4:06 PM
Not at all. I just wanted to generate a little interest in tuning here so I could pick up some tips on tuning. The logging and setup I have, just need to know what to do with it.
Wednesday, July 20, 2011 4:53 PM
Not to sound like a dick, but...

O2l8 wrote:Sticky?.

no

I have no signiture
Wednesday, July 20, 2011 7:36 PM
You don't sound like a dick.
Your user name says it all.

Just kidding. I had trouble with this and wanted to save someone some trouble.
Thursday, July 21, 2011 5:57 AM
For the love of god sticky it, at least 3 threads and numerous thread jacks asking how to do this in one month.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 2:52 PM
Another hint, wire it in with a decent dpdt switch so that you can easily switch between having your a/c work and data logging.

Also, never run the a/c with the switch in the wideband position, its bad, could over pressurize and blow an ac line.

Also I tapped in on the main harness by the fire wall so I wouldnt have to run such a long line. The shorter your wires here the better.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Thursday, July 21, 2011 4:34 PM
Scorpio1 bishes... wrote:For the love of god sticky it, at least 3 threads and numerous thread jacks asking how to do this in one month.

...and how is that different than any other "how-to" on here that doesn't get sticky'd?

There are people who actually bleed through "How-To"'s that are far more relavent to a wider group of people and they don't just copy and paste from another site. They also don't get a sticky. The most obvious of these is PJ's ECOTEC swap thread from 2007.

I'm not arguing that this is bad info, but it's just not "Sticky" worthy. If anything, ask Ryan Egleston to add this thread as a link in the HPTuners Tuning Guide he is building (assuming he hasn't included it already). That will almost certainly get sticky'd..and rightfully so.

I have no signiture
Friday, July 22, 2011 5:59 AM
And in my opinion a bunch of the not yet sticky threads with people yelling sticky should be too, and a few that are up there should be deleted.... buts that another story...

I thought sticky's were for relevant, accurate, and nicely laid out posts that helped people find overly asked about info right in the top of the thread...... like this one, perfect candidate for a sticky IMO.

Friday, July 22, 2011 8:08 PM
Sticky!

GMR has got nothing on this

Monday, July 25, 2011 2:38 PM
thanks for the support guys.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search