Wideband Tuning - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Wideband Tuning
Friday, August 05, 2011 12:41 PM
I have looked and looked and looked, and cant find a 100% answer. Can I (for the purpose of tuning only) remove the upstream o2 sensor, and install my wideband sensor there? I have a lot of header work to get done, and wont be able to get the bung for perm wideband installation welded in for a while, but am still looking for a tune to optimize what I already have. Tuning is done with the car in open loop anyways right, so the upstream o2 isn't even used. Is this correct?

Re: Wideband Tuning
Friday, August 05, 2011 2:07 PM
Yes and no. You will probably want to go back to closed loop when you are done tuning. So it is a temporary hold over unless you never want closed loop ever again. By the way, you can tune with a combination of wideband and stock narrowband at the same time - and some will argue that it is better than wideband alone (I wouldn't disagree, but I only use wideband, then fine tune with narrowband IF needed).
Friday, August 05, 2011 2:18 PM
well yeah i would reinstall the stock sensor after tuning is done. but for tuning only, can the stock sensor be removed so i have a place to put my wideband sensor.

Friday, August 05, 2011 2:46 PM
I don't see it as a problem for a short term fix

Friday, August 05, 2011 3:58 PM
Do all your closed loop tuning first I guess. Then you would be ok. You could actually use an Innovate LC1 and use the fake narrowband out, but thats not as good as using an actual narrowband.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Friday, August 05, 2011 4:07 PM
Yes you can, ut I would not.

Reason. I would do all tuning in closed loop, so you need the narrowband installed for that. Even if I did the tuning in open loop I would want to put the car into closed loop and see how it acts before calling it done. Since you can't have both sensors in at one time you will not be able to see AFR at the same time as it is in closed loop.

Just get another bung put in so you can have both.

FU Tuning

Friday, August 05, 2011 4:17 PM
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:Yes you can, ut I would not.

Reason. I would do all tuning in closed loop, so you need the narrowband installed for that. Even if I did the tuning in open loop I would want to put the car into closed loop and see how it acts before calling it done. Since you can't have both sensors in at one time you will not be able to see AFR at the same time as it is in closed loop.

yeah i just called the shop that does all my work. he is gonna hook me up and fit me in whenever ic an make it over there tomorrow. so yeah. i guess i just wont be getting all my exhaust work done at once. no big deal i guess. ill get what i need done for the tune, then get the rest.

where should i have the bung installed at in my exhaust? the collector? i have a pacesetter header. or should i put it in the DP somewhere?

Friday, August 05, 2011 4:25 PM
EvoFire wrote:
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:Yes you can, ut I would not.

yeah i just called the shop that does all my work. he is gonna hook me up and fit me in whenever ic an make it over there tomorrow. so yeah. i guess i just wont be getting all my exhaust work done at once. no big deal i guess. ill get what i need done for the tune, then get the rest.

where should i have the bung installed at in my exhaust? the collector? i have a pacesetter header. or should i put it in the DP somewhere?

I would just do the downpipe. YOu usually want 18 inches away from head.

FU Tuning

Sunday, August 07, 2011 8:39 AM
should be 10 times diameter of exhaust downstream of turbo
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search