95 cavalier 2.2 code reading software please help already have aldl cable - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
95 cavalier 2.2 code reading software please help already have aldl cable
Sunday, August 14, 2011 2:02 AM
95 cavalier 2.2 code reading software please help
Sorry if this is a totally noob question but what software can I use to read off dtm (error light codes) on my car. I already have a the cable from aldl cables but cant seem to find a software to read off my codes. I dont need to tune I just wanna see what is triggering limp mode on my car...

Any answers would be super greatly appreciated.

Thank You!
djsteffon is online now vBGarage Page Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Re: 95 cavalier 2.2 code reading software please help already have aldl cable
Sunday, August 14, 2011 2:35 AM
Let me also say that I have googled, yahooed, and bing ed this and mostly what I come up with is broken links to other pages. please help.
I keep hearing about a $36 bin and 16196285 ecu .... Ive even tried to cross reference those as well to no avail. I have had the aldl cable for two months now and have been scouring almost nightly to find an answer for this. I thought buying the $60 aldl cable was going to be the most painful part of this venture but alas it is not.
Why does this seem to be so hard?
Sunday, August 14, 2011 4:21 AM
I know HPTuners has a scanner only w/code reading software,but that start at like $350. if it were me I'd return that cable and just buy a good handheld code reader if all you want to do is retrieve codes and read sensors in real time.. its going to save time and headache. for the same money or less you cane get a really good one, that is capable of being updated, read OBDI OBDII CAN and even print out results. if you can't return the cable, EBay it, some may be looking for a deal on it and you can recover some of your money that way. and before you decide on a unit, find a few that you like then put the part number into Google and add the term review in the search, then you can get info from other people that have bought what your looking at, and I'm sure you find stuff on car forums that you won't find on the website thats selling the item too.

Sunday, August 14, 2011 4:54 AM
would that be HPTuners VCM Suite ?
Sunday, August 14, 2011 8:43 AM
HP Tuners cannot read OBD 1 vehicles.
Sunday, August 14, 2011 8:50 AM
on the 95 its obd1.5

You just need to get one of the odb1 scanners and use that..about 10$ if that.
Sunday, August 14, 2011 8:51 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3123-GM-Code-Reader/dp/B000EVU8C0

Apparently a little more then I thought...mine was cheaper.
Sunday, August 14, 2011 9:34 AM
Can you just jumper the #1 and 2 pins and count the times the check engine light blinks. Works on every other OBD I car I've used it on. Saturns, subies, and hondas.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Sunday, August 14, 2011 8:00 PM
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:Can you just jumper the #1 and 2 pins and count the times the check engine light blinks. Works on every other OBD I car I've used it on. Saturns, subies, and hondas.

wont work on the 95 one.

if your just looking at reading the codes, get a scanner. mine is an autoxray. the only one i found at that time that could read the obd 1.5
take a look at autoxray.com i know they are a little expensive tho...
now if you want to tune also, get tunerpro and the files needed for your car (aldl definition and xdf file) i have both if you need them.
but you will have to get a APU1 or something like that. check moates.net for those

Monday, August 15, 2011 3:43 AM
Magik1109,

Thanks for the lead on the auto x ray. I think I have bought or used 6 or seven diffrent scanners now (not to mention the trips to autozone, O'reillys, advanced auto etc... My standard christmas presents to friends for the last couple of years have been obd2 scanners that wouldnt read my car), Thats why I ordered the cable. Figured it was my last hope (wasnt pleased with spending another 60 bucks on a cable but figured it would be my only viable option that wouldnt cost me less than 200 dollars, come to find out how hard it is to find the software that is compatible with this car). I would definately like to get those definition files if possible. My e-mail is Steffon@nashvillemobilepartydjs.com or djsteffon@juno.com. I would greatly appreciate it. Man, you wouldnt figure it would be so hard to read the darn codes on this thing let alone find a software solution in this day and age of technology. My ECU has been going into limp mode for a while now (driving me crazy) and all I wanted to do was narrow down the systems that were affected so as to fix it.

Just for everyones benefit on the boards searching for the same info on this particular year vehicle. There is no jumping terminals on this vehicle's ecu. If you attempt this, you run the risk of frying your computer. (THESE MUST BE READ WITH A SCANNER OR SOFTWARE!!!) The GM scanner will not work as well. That was the first code reader i bought. I was happy till I got home and saw that the car had a diffrent (obd2) hookup, so they would not mate. Upon reading the package for compatabiltiy I noticed the 95 cavalier model is not listed as being compatible.

Thank you to everyone here on the boards. I truely appreciate your help.

Steffon
Monday, August 15, 2011 3:48 AM
As a side note, I am going to pull the ecu later today just to have the piece of mind that there is no corrosion on the terminals and to see if I might be able to weather seal it. What crappy placement for the main brain of your car to be put outside under a wheel well, where the potential for moisture is most likely. Otherwise, I love my car!

Monday, August 15, 2011 3:53 AM
"but figured it would be my only viable option that wouldnt cost me less than 200 dollars"

Should have read didnt cost me $200.00 dollars, sorry.
Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:26 PM
Magik1109 wrote:
[quoteif your just looking at reading the codes, get a scanner. mine is an autoxray. the only one i found at that time that could read the obd 1.5
take a look at autoxray.com i know they are a little expensive tho...
now if you want to tune also, get tunerpro and the files needed for your car (aldl definition and xdf file) i have both if you need them.
but you will have to get a APU1 or something like that. check moates.net for those

]

dj steffon, Ive got that entire kit for the tunercat/tunerpro setup for sale for $250.00 CAD. Its brand new and never used....
You can buy the same package at moates for around $400-450 US

Time to get it going again.....
Wednesday, September 07, 2011 1:35 PM
Just wanted to update this thread.

I found my solution for reading the 95 obd 1.5 cavalier codes.... (OBD 1 with OBD2 connector)

TUNERPRO RT AND AN ALDL CABLE. (the cable is approximately 60 dollars on the net. You can google for one)

It found code 35 improper idle speed (IAC)

Hope this helps someone else trying to read codes on their car without having to go to the dealer and getting charged $75 every time to read your codes.
Wednesday, September 07, 2011 3:05 PM
Cool. I doubt I can use my ELM327 cable and tuner pro on my 1995 with the obd2 plug. Can you post a link to the same cable? I can find Tuner Pro, lol.

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 4:44 PM

This is the one I have.

http://www.aldlcable.com/sc/details.asp?item=aldlobd2

This cable is for 1994 and 1995 OBD1 cars equipped with the 16 pin OBD2 style connector (Camaros, Firebirds, Corvettes, and LT1 equipped cars are a few), and has a 16 pin OBD2 connector shell to plug in under your car's dash to interface to your car's ECM/PCM. This cable is the most convenient to use if your car is equipped with the 16 pin connector style, as it allows you to just feel under the dash to plug it in. See our home page for references and diagrams of the connector styles, or see the OBD2 diagram below. Please check under your 94-95 car's dash and make sure it has the 16 pin style connector before ordering this cable.
Wednesday, September 07, 2011 4:45 PM
Forgot to Mention

Tunerpro RT version 4
Wednesday, September 07, 2011 4:51 PM
okay, cool. i would of got version 5. lol. Thanks.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search